[net.origins] Fossils dating rocks and vice versa

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (03/10/86)

In article <519@imsvax>, Ted Holden writes:
> Every one of the systems used to date geological ages and formerly
> living material uses assumptions of continuity which go out the window
> with events of the sort Velikovsky describes, and more than half of them
> are circular (using fossils to date rocks, then using the same dates on
> the rocks to date fossils).

	I've heard Ted say this about ten times, and I think it's far
past time to put it to rest.  I hope that Ted isn't depending on this
assertion too heavily, because there are several methods that scientists
use to date "rocks":

	(1) Known ice age evidence (cycles roughly 100k, 43k, 24k, and
	    and 19.5k years) which are MATHEMATICALLY PREDICTED FROM THE
	    EARTH'S ORBITAL ECCENTRICITIES.  "Oddly enough," radio-carbon
	    dating of ice age debris as well as examination of coral terraces
	    on island shores ALL AGREE.  (Terraces indicate different sea
	    levels; an ice age lowers sea level).  This is a mathematical
	    verification -- hardly "circular".

	(2) Core samples from the sea floor, and the composition and species
	    of Radiolaria (a small sea creature) within give very good ideas
	    as to the global climate in various areas of the ocean.  "Oddly
	    enough," The radiolara samples, taken from many ocean floors,
	    show ice ages in cycles of 100,000, 43,000, and 24,000, and 19,500
	    years.  The radiolaria ice age evidence extends back 500k years in
	    the particular cores.

	(3) Samples of air locked within the Antarctic ice sheet also give
	    exact ideas as to the composition of the atmosphere.  "Oddly
	    enough", the same climates/atmospheres are predicted by both
	    (2) and (3).

	(4) Known flips in the Earth's magnetic field.  These are verified
	    by magnetic patterns in the sea floor (near the plate creation
	    area in the mid-Atlantic), and also agree with magnetic traces
	    found in hardened lava.  "Oddly enough", the ages of the rocks
	    calculated within certain magnetic periods agree with radio-
	    carbon dating!  The relatively young sea floor, (which records the
	    magnetic patterns at the continental drift rate) is an INDEPENDENT
	    souce which verifies the radio-carbon ages of the land-based rocks.

	(5) Climactic change (not ice ages) predicted by computer simulation
	    based on continental position, ocean currents, and atmospheric
	    composition ties all of the pieces of evidence together.  "Oddly
	    enough," the climactic simulation based on continental drift,
	    known ocean current changes, and atmospheric content MATCHES the
	    climates indicated by the geologic evidence.

	Anyways, there are more sources of evidence than I can explain
here, and probably even more that I'm not aware of.  Even though a single
one of these pieces of evidence could be explained away by Ted quite easily,
he would be missing the STRENGTH of the evidence:

	(1) Most of the different pieces were collected by independent
	    scientists, and several of these projects were going on in
	    parallel.

	(2) The results ALWAYS agree with other work.  The pieces of the
	    puzzle are fitting together quite well, and the most important
	    pieces are relatively recent.  Ted can go on refuting pre-1940
	    evidence until he is blue in the face.

	(3) The "biggie":  All of the evidence agrees.  Radio-carbon dating
	    may be unreliable BY ITSELF.  When its results agree with
	    MATHEMATICALLY PREDICTED results, then its validity is
	    strengthened.
	    In this case, pieces of evidence from all over the Earth (any
	    ONE might be insufficient ALONE), TOGETHER have great strength
	    since they all agree.
					-- Chris

PS - My source for this is the PBS series "Planet Earth," a seven-part
series that explores the most current findings in "Earth" science,
and gives the up-to-date theories, but (most importantly) gives the
supporting evidence, too.  It is well-researched and well-presented.

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (03/10/86)

In article <519@imsvax>, Ted Holden writes:
> Every one of the systems used to date geological ages and formerly
> living material uses assumptions of continuity which go out the window
> with events of the sort Velikovsky describes, and more than half of them
> are circular (using fossils to date rocks, then using the same dates on
> the rocks to date fossils).

	I've heard Ted say this about ten times, and I think it's far
past time to put it to rest.  I hope that Ted isn't depending on this
assertion too heavily, because there are several methods that scientists
use to date "rocks":

	(1) Known ice age evidence (cycles roughly 100k, 43k, 24k, and
	    and 19.5k years) which are MATHEMATICALLY PREDICTED FROM THE
	    EARTH'S ORBITAL ECCENTRICITIES.  "Oddly enough," radio-carbon
	    dating of ice age debris as well as examination of coral terraces
	    on island shores ALL AGREE.  (Terraces indicate different sea
	    levels; an ice age lowers sea level).  This is a mathematical
	    verification -- hardly "circular".

	(2) Core samples from the sea floor, and the composition and species
	    of Radiolaria (a small sea creature) within give very good ideas
	    as to the global climate in various areas of the ocean.  "Oddly
	    enough," The radiolara samples, taken from many ocean floors,
	    show ice ages in cycles of 100,000, 43,000, and 24,000, and 19,500
	    years.  The radiolaria ice age evidence extends back 500k years in
	    the particular cores.

	(3) Samples of air locked within the Antarctic ice sheet also give
	    exact ideas as to the composition of the atmosphere.  "Oddly
	    enough", the same climates/atmospheres are predicted by both
	    (2) and (3).

	(4) Known flips in the Earth's magnetic field.  These are verified
	    by magnetic patterns in the sea floor (near the plate creation
	    area in the mid-Atlantic), and also agree with magnetic traces
	    found in hardened lava.  "Oddly enough", the ages of the rocks
	    calculated within certain magnetic periods agree with radio-
	    carbon dating!  The relatively young sea floor, (which records the
	    magnetic patterns at the continental drift rate) is an INDEPENDENT
	    souce which verifies the radio-carbon ages of the land-based rocks.

	(5) Climatic change (not ice ages) predicted by computer simulation
	    based on continental position, ocean currents, and atmospheric
	    composition ties all of the pieces of evidence together.  "Oddly
	    enough," the climatic simulation based on continental drift,