[net.origins] Bogus physics reamplified

jlg@lanl.ARPA (Jim Giles) (03/14/86)

In article <446@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>Returning to Ken's original point, which started off this whole series
>of articles, in the above reference Bertrand Russell writes as follows:
>
>	But in the modern theory the question between Copernicus and
>	his predecessors is merely one of convenience; all motion
>	is relative, and there is no difference between the two
>	statements:  `the earth rotates once a day' and `the heavens
>	revolve about the earth once a day.'  The two mean exactly the
>	same thing, just as it means the same thing if I say a certain
>	length is six feet or two yards.  Astronomy is easier if we
>	take the sun as fixed than if we take the earth, just as
>	accounts are easier in decimal coinage.  {Signet, pp. 13-14}

Whatever Bertrand Russell's qualifications in mathematics are, no one
would ever accuse him of being a great physicist.  One of the paramount
features of General Relativity is that the laws of physics should
appear the same in ALL reference frames.  In a reference frame which
is fixed with respect to the average motion of the nearby stars, those
stars all appear to be traveling with low (relatively) velocities.  In a
'reference frame' which is fixed to the spinning Earth, the nearby stars
appear to be traveling MUCH FASTER than the speed of light. (Consider A-
Centauri: radius of 'orbit' around Earth is 4.2 light years, it 'orbits'
once per day, total distance traveled per day is 2*4.2*PI light years or
about 26 light years per day.) The consequences of stars being tachyons in
one 'frame' and not being tachyons in the other would cause the observers
in the two frames to come to different conclusions about the laws of
physics in Earth local space (that is, the only way to reconcile the two
observations is to assume that there is a space-time singularity between
the two observers, but when they go to look they won't find one).

The bottom line is that rotation is LOCALLY discernable and is therefore
NOT a property of Einstein's reference frames (whether they are lorentz
frames or not).  One way of locally measuring rotation is with a foucault
pendulum (which you even mentioned).  Meanwhile ALL Einstein frames are
LOCALLY indistinguishable from lorentz frames.

For the definition of 'frame' and 'local' I suggest you read the first few
chapters of MTW ('Gravitation') again.  I just did - fascinating stuff!

J. Giles
Los Alamos

gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <446@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>Come on, people!  It isn't just the misspelling, it isn't just the
>strong language (whether you call it name-calling or not) -- Karl's
>argument is completely wrong!  Einstein's theory of general relativity
>was published more than seventy years ago (1915) -- and it certainly
>*does* allow non-inertial reference frames!  Only Einstein's *special*
>relativity (1905) is restricted in its application to inertial frames.

The idea that centrifugal force can be explained by the inductive
effect of all matter in the universe is known as Mach's principle.
This principle appears to be necessary for any theory that claims
that there is no absolute motion.  Einstein originally supported
Mach's principle and tried to deduce it from general relativity,
but in later years he became less convinced of its necessity.  The
concepts of "absolute", "relative", and "motion" are more subtle
than they appear, it turns out.

Because of the emphasis on teaching the special theory of
relativity, far too much emphasis is placed on so-called "inertial
frames" of reference.  From a more general viewpoint, one has an
inertial frame (locally) whenever the metric is diagonal.  It is
not always possible to diagonalize the metric by a differentiable
change of coordinates, let alone one corresponding to a "motion";
this observation has led to attempts to extend general relativity
using a more general notion of metric.

>	39.2.  Metric Theories of Gravity
>
>	Two lines of argument narrow attention to a restricted class
>	of gravitation theories, called *metric theories*.

It should be noted that Einstein and other early workers in
relativity theory determined that the general theory was
incomplete, and attempted to extend it in various ways.  Some
of these attempts generalized the idea of metric, but the most
successful theories were formulated in terms of the affine
connection of the tangent bundle, with metric introduced only
comparatively late in the formal development of the theories,
as a derived notion or as an independent-but-related notion.
My favorite formulation of the general theory, Schr"odinger's,
introduces the metric purely as shorthand for an entity that
can be produced from the affinity field.  The emphasis on metric
has its origins in the Gauss/Riemann development of differential
geometry; related concepts have spread throughout linear
mathematics.  The main complaint I have against Misner/Thorne/
Wheeler is that the book does not adequately prepare one for
understanding or investigating the more general theory, which
does not track the usual development of differential geometry.

The "pure affine" field theory yields a number of interesting
symmetries beyond those of general relativity.  These are
expected to correspond to physical laws other than the
gravitational field equations.  This was the motivating idea
behind the "unified field theory" program pursued by Einstein
and others, which has almost universally been called a failure
by textbooks.  If one compares the structure of theories such
as Einstein/Straus/Kaufman with present-day non-Abelian gauge
field theories, it becomes apparent that Einstein as usual
knew what he was doing and was simply ahead of his time.

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/15/86)

In article <424@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:

>In article <446@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>Returning to Ken's original point, which started off this whole series
>>of articles, in the above reference Bertrand Russell writes as follows:
>>
>>	But in the modern theory the question between Copernicus and
>>	his predecessors is merely one of convenience; all motion
>>	is relative, and there is no difference between the two
>>	statements:  `the earth rotates once a day' and `the heavens
>>	revolve about the earth once a day.'  The two mean exactly the
>>	same thing, just as it means the same thing if I say a certain
>>	length is six feet or two yards.  Astronomy is easier if we
>>	take the sun as fixed than if we take the earth, just as
>>	accounts are easier in decimal coinage.  {Signet, pp. 13-14}
>
>Whatever Bertrand Russell's qualifications in mathematics are, no one
>would ever accuse him of being a great physicist.  One of the paramount
>features of General Relativity is that the laws of physics should
>appear the same in ALL reference frames.  In a reference frame which
>is fixed with respect to the average motion of the nearby stars, those
>stars all appear to be traveling with low (relatively) velocities.  In a
>'reference frame' which is fixed to the spinning Earth, the nearby stars
>appear to be traveling MUCH FASTER than the speed of light. (Consider A-

    This "faster than light" motion is merely conventional. It has NOTHING
WHATEVER to do with tachyons or real faster than light motion. Russell is
correct (almost) in his quote above. You are dead wrong. Try writing a rotating
coordinate frame in GR (not hard) and you will see.

>For the definition of 'frame' and 'local' I suggest you read the first few
>chapters of MTW ('Gravitation') again.  I just did - fascinating stuff!

    You need to do more than read it (we both have, apparently). You need
to understand it. Read it again, using your noggin.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/15/86)

In article <424@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>In article <446@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>Returning to Ken's original point, which started off this whole series
>>of articles, in the above reference Bertrand Russell writes as follows:
>>
>>	But in the modern theory the question between Copernicus and
>>	his predecessors is merely one of convenience; all motion
>>	is relative, and there is no difference between the two
>>	statements:  `the earth rotates once a day' and `the heavens
>>	revolve about the earth once a day.'  The two mean exactly the
>>	same thing, just as it means the same thing if I say a certain
>>	length is six feet or two yards.  Astronomy is easier if we
>>	take the sun as fixed than if we take the earth, just as
>>	accounts are easier in decimal coinage.  {Signet, pp. 13-14}
>
>Whatever Bertrand Russell's qualifications in mathematics are, no one
>would ever accuse him of being a great physicist.

So?  BR's statements were essentially correct.  The only possible point
to challenge is his assertion that there is 'no difference', but that is
a matter of semantics, not physics.

>                                                   One of the paramount
>features of General Relativity is that the laws of physics should
>appear the same in ALL reference frames.

The laws that are invariant are the ones in covariant form, which is
essentially a circular definition.  The essence of General Relativity is
that space-time is a four-dimensional manifold with a Lorentzian metric,
that the laws of physics hold on the manifold in an invariant way, and
that local observers can put local frames on the manifold and make
measurements that way.  The local observers can put ANY coordinate frame
they want on it, "rotating" or not.

>                                          In a reference frame which
>is fixed with respect to the average motion of the nearby stars, those
>stars all appear to be traveling with low (relatively) velocities.  In a
>'reference frame' which is fixed to the spinning Earth, the nearby stars
>appear to be traveling MUCH FASTER than the speed of light. (Consider A-
>Centauri: radius of 'orbit' around Earth is 4.2 light years, it 'orbits'
>once per day, total distance traveled per day is 2*4.2*PI light years or
>about 26 light years per day.)

This is complete nonsense.  The nearby stars in the rotating frame are
travelling at a NUMBER which is much larger than the number obtained by
measuring light in an inertial rectangular coordinate frame.  The fact
that the one number in the one frame is bigger than another number in
another number is meaningless.  Is Alpha Centauri suddenly whipping
9490 times faster than the photons it is omitting in the (apparent)
direction of motion?  Of course not.  The fact that Alpha Centauri is
seen moving slower than light in ONE frame means it moves slower than
light in ALL frames.

>                               The consequences of stars being tachyons in
>one 'frame' and not being tachyons in the other would cause the observers
>in the two frames to come to different conclusions about the laws of
>physics in Earth local space (that is, the only way to reconcile the two
>observations is to assume that there is a space-time singularity between
>the two observers, but when they go to look they won't find one).

It also leads to natural explanations of the Bermuda triangle, I'm sure.

>The bottom line is that rotation is LOCALLY discernable and is therefore
>NOT a property of Einstein's reference frames (whether they are lorentz
>frames or not).  One way of locally measuring rotation is with a foucault
>pendulum (which you even mentioned).  Meanwhile ALL Einstein frames are
>LOCALLY indistinguishable from lorentz frames.

The first two sentences are correct.  The last one is completely wrong.
Frames locally indistinguishable from Lorentz frames are called inertial.
In such frames, special relativity as standardly presented is valid.  SR
can be done in accelerated frames, but care must be taken.

But rotation can be detected more generally.  For example, in a universe
with just one rotating black hole, ie, a Kerr metric, the local geometry
is a Kerr geometry, no matter WHERE in the universe you measure.  And
given enough local information (a Cauchy surface), the entire metric is
determined uniquely.

>For the definition of 'frame' and 'local' I suggest you read the first few
>chapters of MTW ('Gravitation') again.  I just did - fascinating stuff!

I suggest YOU read the first few chapters again.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/16/86)

In article <1825@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.ARPA writes:

>The idea that centrifugal force can be explained by the inductive
>effect of all matter in the universe is known as Mach's principle.
>This principle appears to be necessary for any theory that claims
>that there is no absolute motion.

   Am I stupid?  I have reread the first sentence above many many times
and can't make any sense out of it.  In an empty (flat) universe some
frames are accelerated and some are not.  This is in the absence of any
matter.  What does "the inductive effect of all matter in the universe"
have to do with centrifugal force??
   This is not an attack, just a request for explanation...

   -- David desJardins

jlg@lanl.ARPA (Jim Giles) (03/17/86)

In article <12398@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>In article <424@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>
>>In article <446@3comvax.UUCP> michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) writes:
>>>Returning to Ken's original point, which started off this whole series
>>>of articles, in the above reference Bertrand Russell writes as follows:
>>>
>>>	But in the modern theory the question between Copernicus and
>>>	his predecessors is merely one of convenience; all motion
>>>	is relative, and there is no difference between the two
>>>	statements:  `the earth rotates once a day' and `the heavens
>>>	revolve about the earth once a day.'  The two mean exactly the
>>>	same thing, just as it means the same thing if I say a certain
>>>	length is six feet or two yards.  Astronomy is easier if we
>>>	take the sun as fixed than if we take the earth, just as
>>>	accounts are easier in decimal coinage.  {Signet, pp. 13-14}
>>
>... Russell is
>correct (almost) in his quote above. You are dead wrong. Try writing a rotating
>coordinate frame in GR (not hard) and you will see.
>
>>For the definition of 'frame' and 'local' I suggest you read the first few
>>chapters of MTW ('Gravitation') again.  I just did - fascinating stuff!
>
>    You need to do more than read it (we both have, apparently). You need
>to understand it. Read it again, using your noggin.

Russell is not even CLOSE to being right.  I suspect he was mislead by
Mach's principle which explains the origin of momentum as being relative
to the distribution of mass throughout space.  The fact that momentum is
relative in no way implies that the choice between Copernicus and Ptolemy
is merely one of convenience.

Consider a pendulum swinging freely at the north pole (disregard
precession effects that are classical).  In classical theory, the plane
through which the pendulum swings will rotate once per day when measured
relative to the Earth, and it will appear fixed relative to the distant
stars (this seems to imply that it is the Earth that is turning).  Now
according to Mach's principle as applied in GR, the pendulum will be
seen to turn relative to the Earth - but not EXACTLY once per day, and
it will seem to rotate SLIGHTLY relative to the fixed stars (this is
even after ALL classical causes of precession have been eliminated).
The emphasized words point out that this is a VERY SMALL (read:
unmeasurable with today's technology) effect for the Earth: for
practical purposes Copernicus was right.

Now, to a small extent, Copernicus was wrong as well: the universe IS
rotating around the Earth (at least around a coordinate system with zero
measured angular momentum) - but VERY slowly.  In either case, a
particle attached to a local reference frame in GR would have NO angular
momentum (and would, therefore, imply that the reference frame was fixed
relative to the distant stars - properly modified by Mach's principle to
include the effect of nearby rotating masses).  Nothing which is fixed
relative to the Earth fits this requirement.

Note: I have always said 'local reference frame', which in GR is ALWAYS
a Lorentz frame.  See box 1.3 in "Gravitation".  End of Note.

The part of "Gravitation" relevant to Mach's principle starts about page
450.

Small flame:
    Some people on the net seem to think that it is the origin of
    knowledge or the accuracy of spelling that constitutes a valid
    argument.  This is NOT true:  I always have to look up 'Lorentz'
    when I put it into text - it just doesn't look right to me.  Perhaps
    the difference with me is that I DO bother to look it up so that my
    contributions to the net are at least spelled right whatever other
    merits they may have.  But, don't tell me something is bogus just
    because the spelling is wrong.  Let the argument stand or fall on
    its own merit. (Maybe it should be spelled 'Larry' :-)
End of small flame.

J. Giles
Los Alamos

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/22/86)

Follow ups are to net.physics only.

In article <556@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>>In article <424@lanl.ARPA> jlg@a.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:
>>>For the definition of 'frame' and 'local' I suggest you read the first few
>>>chapters of MTW ('Gravitation') again.  I just did - fascinating stuff!

Actually, the definitions are not in the book.

>>    You need to do more than read it (we both have, apparently). You need
>>to understand it. Read it again, using your noggin.

>Note: I have always said 'local reference frame', which in GR is ALWAYS
>a Lorentz frame.

It is?  Do you make this up as you go along?  Is it congenital?

As a matter of fact, all GR frames are Lorentzian, which is totally different
than saying all frames are Lorentz frames, which, as you admit is what YOU'VE
been saying all along.  The preference for Lorentz frames IS a mathematical
convenience: "Physics is simple only when analyzed locally."  There is
nothing physical about coordinate systems per se.  That is the whole point of
emphasizing the geometry of space-time in the first place.  And if you do not
realize that, then you just do not understand GR at all.

A rotating frame is still a frame.  It is not a Lorentz frame, but it is
still Lorentzian.

Why do you think Einstein called it the GENERAL theory?  Since it holds
under ALL frames, not just the special relativity Lorentz frames.

Bertrand Russell IS correct, and I wish you'd stop spewing your nonsense.
You are worse than Ted Holden actually: even the non-experts can tell that
he spouts gibber, but your misreadings of MTW might confuse a lot of people.

>                  See box 1.3 in "Gravitation".  End of Note.

Try READING the box, not just looking at it.  And the surrounding text:

	These theorems lend themselves to empirical test in the
	appropriate, very special coordinate systems: ... local
	Lorentz coordinates ... in the local Lorentz geometry
	of physics.  However, the theorems rise above all coordinate
	systems in their content.  [pp 19,23]

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

vis@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU (Tom Courtney) (03/25/86)

Hmm, the way a foucalt pendumlum behaves proves that the earth is rotating? I was taught
that in school too, but then I read an article claiming that if the universe rotated
around the earth, the pendulum would do the same thing. Sorry, I don't remember the
article or justifications. Does anyone have a proof, one way or the other?

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/27/86)

In article <133@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> vis@trillian.UUCP (Tom Courtney) writes:
>Hmm, the way a foucalt pendumlum behaves proves that the earth is rotating?
>I was taught that in school too, but then I read an article claiming that
>if the universe rotated around the earth, the pendulum would do the same
>thing. Sorry, I don't remember the article or justifications. Does anyone
>have a proof, one way or the other?

   Yes, exactly.  This is the point that Matt Wiener and others have been
trying to make (I hope I can speak for him).  From the fact that these two
descriptions lead to the same result, we conclude that it is meaningless
to say that the universe is rotating about the Earth (since it is equivalent
to the simpler assumption that the Earth is rotating).  Meaningless but
definitely not wrong.
   For an intuitive (mathematically non-rigorous) derivation of this see
MTW pp. 547-49.

   -- David desJardins

kay@warwick.UUCP (04/24/86)

[Tom Courtney]
>>Hmm, the way a foucalt pendumlum behaves proves that the earth is rotating?
>>I was taught that in school too, but then I read an article claiming that
>>if the universe rotated around the earth, the pendulum would do the same
>>thing.

[David desJardins]
>   Yes, exactly.  This is the point that Matt Wiener and others have been
>trying to make (I hope I can speak for him).  From the fact that these two
>descriptions lead to the same result, we conclude that it is meaningless
>to say that the universe is rotating about the Earth (since it is equivalent
>to the simpler assumption that the Earth is rotating).  Meaningless but
>definitely not wrong.

If the two descriptions lead to the same result (I don't disagree with this)
then how can one be considered "meaningless" unless we also consider the
other to be identically "meaningless"?  Surely all we may say is that the
two descriptions are restatements of "the Earth and the Universe have relative
rotation"?  The principle of parsimony may indeed lead us to prefer the
first description on grounds of local utility, but it does not allow us to
affirm that the second is meaningless.

						Kay.

--
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay