[net.origins] Rowing through the fog

hydar@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Hydar) (09/01/86)

In article <3379@ism780c.UUCP> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>come back from the grave at will?

	Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
   how you spend your weekends ...)

					|Dan|
      					"Rome was not destroyed in one day"

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (09/04/86)

>>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>>come back from the grave at will?
>
>	Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
>   how you spend your weekends ...)

I didn't say it was fun!  Are you saying that if I say something that
you find hard to believe, and then someone decided to torture me, you
would then believe whatever I had said before I was tortured?
--
I admit it!  I don't believe in Mary Worth!  I Lied!  HaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
		Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (09/05/86)

(   Note: I have broadened the newgroups to include net.jokes.
    Followupers may wish to renarrow the discussion to only jokes, or
    only serious discussion.  )

> hydar@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Hydar)
>> tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith)

>>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
>>come back from the grave at will?
> Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
> how you spend your weekends ...)

"You know when you take one of them... uh..."
        "Big wooden crosses?"
"Yeah, that's it.  An' you get... uh..."
        "Some six-penny nails?"
"Yeah!  An' you drive the nails right through your palms...
 Oooooh that smarts!"
        "Yeah, I hate it when that happens!"
"But you know what *really* get's me is when you take one of... uh."
        "Them 'Crowns of Thorns'?"
"Yeah, right!  An' you put it *right* on yer *forehead*."
        "Boy, I know how that is... *that* really *smarts*!"
"Yeah, I *really* hate it when *that* happens!"
        "And them Centurions with the spears... talk about yer side-ache!"

--
"... and remember that King Kong died for your crimes..."
        --- from the _Schrodinger's_Cat_ series by Robert Anton Wilson

nikbek@ihlpa.UUCP (Moseley) (09/08/86)

> >>What's the big deal about "dying" to prove your love when you know you can
> >>come back from the grave at will?
> > Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
> > how you spend your weekends ...)
>
> "Yeah, that's it.  An' you get... uh..."
>         "Some six-penny nails?"
> "Yeah!  An' you drive the nails right through your palms...

I recall some studies which indicate that nails through the palms of
a person's hands will not support the person's weight. The nails
were actually driven through the wrists, which will  support a person's
weight. I also believe that posts were actually used. I'm not sure where
the idea of a cross came from.
					R. C. Moseley

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (Nadya M. Labib) (09/11/86)

In article <1795@ihlpa.UUCP> nikbek@ihlpa.UUCP (Moseley) writes:
>> > Getting nailed to a large block of wood is FUN?  (I'd be curious
>> > how you spend your weekends ...)
>>
>> "Yeah, that's it.  An' you get... uh..."
>>         "Some six-penny nails?"
>> "Yeah!  An' you drive the nails right through your palms...
>
>I recall some studies which indicate that nails through the palms of
>a person's hands will not support the person's weight. The nails
>were actually driven through the wrists, which will  support a person's
>weight. I also believe that posts were actually used. I'm not sure where
>the idea of a cross came from.
>					R. C. Moseley

They used to put all the 'violent' criminals on crosses.  Not as elaborate
as you see on television.

dhk@ptsfa.UUCP (David Krause) (09/17/86)

In article <32500078@uiucdcsb>, mcewan@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

> [...]

    [ Lines deleted in interest of space ]

> > I have a colleague who had two root canal jobs performed with no anesthesia
> > (Suffice it to say that they were done in a communist bloc country and he is
> > a member of an ethnic minority which is not favored.)  He was not killed; the
> > bruises have healed on his body and limbs (where he strained against the straps
> > holding him so that he couldn't run from the pain.
> >
> > The procedure was, overall, a good thing.  So what would be the big deal of
> > going through with it?

> That isn't a good analogy, since the person you're responding to isn't (I
> assume) a god. A better analogy is "would you be willing to spend 1/100th
> of a second as an ant experiencing something that is very painful to the
> ant?" This still isn't a perfect analogy, since the 1/100 second is a much
> longer period (compared to total span of existence) than Jesus' time on
> the cross, and the difference between human and ant is much less than that
> between human and God, but you get the idea.
>
> 		Scott McEwan
> 		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

Scott,

If span of existence is inversely related to sensitivity to pain,
then my dentist should able to predict how long people are going
to live by how much drilling they can take before they shout for
the novocaine!

Here's another analogy for you to consider.  My wife's delivery of
our youngest son was (like her earlier child deliveries) was one
of the most excruciatingly painful experiences of her life.  Yet,
when I was accompanying her out of the delivery room afterwards, she
remarked that the whole experience suddenly seemed like something
in the distant past.  She forgot her recent anguish in the joy that
a little boy was brought into the world.

Likewise, the Biblical record (in Hebrews 12:2) is that Jesus "endured
the cross, despising the shame", "for the joy that was set before him"--
the joy of redeeming from the slave-markets of sin the likes of you and
me.

David