[net.announce.newusers] Changes to List of Active Newsgroups

usenet@gatech.CSNET (07/15/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 1 July 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 12 July 1985 by spaf]
153a154,155
> 	net.misc.coke		Discussion about New Coke vs. Classic Coke.
> 				   This is a temporary newsgroup.
268c270
< mod.rec			Discussions on pasttimes (not currently active)
---
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

usenet@gatech.CSNET (08/01/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 12 July 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 31 July 1985 by spaf]
69a70
> net.bizarre		Strange postings and reports of odd occurrences.
130d130
< 	net.mail.msggroup	Gatewayed from the ARPA MsgGroup list.
150d149
< 	net.micro.zx		Discussion about zx's.
154c153
< 	net.misc.coke		Discussion about New Coke vs. Classic Coke.
---
> 	net.misc.coke		Discussion about New Coke vs. Classic Coke.*
158d156
< 	net.movies.sw		Discussions about the Star Wars saga(s).
193,194d190
< 	net.rec.coins		Hobbyists interested in coin collecting.
< 	net.rec.disc		Hobbyists interested in disc activities.
246d241
< 	net.women.only		Postings by women only (read by all).
262a258
> mod.general		A moderated version of net.general
267a264

usenet@gatech.CSNET (08/15/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 31 July 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 14 August 1985 by spaf]
87a88
> net.database		Database and data management issues and theory.
107a109
> 	net.ham-radio.packet	Discussion about packet radio setups.
137d138
< 	net.micro.432		Discussion about Intel 432's.
220d220
< net.std			All sorts of standards (e.g., ANSI, IEEE).
225d224
< net.theater		For performers and audiences of the theater.
234d232
< net.usoft		Universal (public domain) software packages.

usenet@gatech.CSNET (09/01/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 14 August 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 29 August 1985 by spaf]
78d77
< net.chess		Chess & computer chess.
95a95,96
> 	net.games.board		Discussion and hints on board games.
> 	net.games.chess		Chess & computer chess.
107c108,109
< net.graphics		Computer graphics, art, and animation.
---
> net.graphics		Computer graphics, art, animation, image processing,
>  			    pattern recognition, and machine vision.
141,142c143,145
< 	net.micro.apple		Discussion about Apple's.
< 	net.micro.atari		Discussion about Atari's.
---
> 	net.micro.apple		Discussion about Apple micros.
> 	net.micro.amiga		Talk about the new Amiga micro.
> 	net.micro.atari		Discussion about Atari micros.
144c147
< 	net.micro.cbm		Discussion about Commodore's.
---
> 	net.micro.cbm		Discussion about Commodore micros.
169a173
> 	net.news.notes		Notesfile software from the Univ. of Illinois.
177d180
< net.notes		Notesfile software from the University of Illinois.
252d254
< fa.railroad		Real and model train fans' newsgroup.

usenet@gatech.CSNET (09/15/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 29 August 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 14 September 1985 by spaf]
259,260c259
< mod.map			Announcements and software concerning maps and routing
< 	mod.map.uucp		Maps from the UUCP mapping project
---

usenet@gatech.CSNET (10/01/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 14 September 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 20 September 1985 by spaf]
241c241
< net.wobegon		"The Prairie Home Companion" radio show.
---

usenet@gatech.CSNET (10/15/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 20 September 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 14 October 1985 by spaf]
66a67
> 	net.auto.tech		Technical aspects of automobiles, et. al.
157,158d157
< 	net.misc.coke		Discussion about New Coke vs. Classic Coke.*
< 				   This is a temporary newsgroup.
254a254
> fa.risks		Risks and security
258d257
< mod.general		A moderated version of net.general
280c279
< * Ada is a Trademark of the Ada Joint Program Office of the
---

usenet@gatech.CSNET (11/01/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 14 October 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 30 October 1985 by spaf]
8,9c8,9
< 1 November 1985.  There are three basic subcategories of netwide
< newsgroups: "net.*", "fa.*", and "mod.*".
---
> 1 November 1985.  There are two basic subcategories of netwide
> newsgroups: "net" and "mod".
11,12c11,16
< "net.*" consists of USENET bulletin board newsgroups that are
< circulated around the entire net.
---
> "net" groups consist of USENET bulletin-board newsgroups that are
> (usually) circulated around the entire USENET -- this implies
> world-wide distribution.  "mod" groups are moderated.  They can only be
> posted to by mailing submissions to the moderator (provided in a
> companion posting).  Some of the "mod" groups are gatewayed to USENET
> from the ARPA Internet.
14,17d17
< "fa.*" is a set of groups that are gatewayed to USENET from the
< ARPANET.  The "fa.*" groups consist mainly of digests, though there are
< some bulletin boards.  To post to "fa.*" groups, send mail back along
< the return address found in the "From" line of the articles.
19,22c19,25
< Some of the "net.*" and "fa.*" groups are gatewayed between the
< networks, i.e. items submitted from the ARPA side to the digest are
< split up and submitted to the USENET group, while articles submitted on
< the USENET side are bundled up and submitted to the digest.
---
> Some of the "net" groups are bidirectionally gatewayed with
> ARPAnet Internet mailing lists; items submitted from the ARPA side to
> the digest are split up and submitted to the USENET group, while
> articles submitted on the USENET side are bundled up and submitted to
> the mailing list.  Most such gatewayed groups are done as "mod"
> groups.  A complete list of moderated newsgroups, submission addresses
> and moderators is given in a companion posting.
24,25c27,32
< "mod.*" groups are moderated.  They can only be posted to by mailing to
< the moderator (provided in a companion posting).
---
> The following "net" groups have been gatewayed with the listed
> Arpa Internet lists.  Some of them may not still be gatewayed due to
> broken software and/or gateways; such groups are marked with an
> asterisk ("*") in the list below.  Please contact me if you should know
> of their current status.  Also note that the group "net.lang.forth" is
> gatewayed with the Bitnet discussion list "umforth@weizmann.bitnet".
27,29c34,58
< There are other subcategories, but they are local: to institutions, to
< geographic regions, etc. and they are not listed here.  Please report
< any corrections, additions, etc. to this list to me.
---
> 	Usenet Group		Arpa Internet list
> 	------------		----------------
> 	*net.astro		sky-fans@mit-xx.arpa
> 	net.emacs		unix-emacs@c.cs.cmu.edu
> 	net.info-terms		info-terms@mit-mc.arpa
> 	net.ham-radio		info-hams@simtel20.arpa
> 	net.ham-radio.packet	packet-radio@eddie.mit.edu
> 	net.lang.ada		info-ada@usc-eclb.arpa
> 	net.lang.c		info-c@brl.arpa
> 	net.lang.pascal		info-pascal@brl.arpa
> 	net.lang.prolog		prolog@su-score.arpa
> 	net.mail.headers	header-people@mit-mc.arpa
> 	net.micro		info-micro@brl.arpa
> 	net.micro.amiga		info-amiga@red.rutgers.edu
> 	net.micro.atari		info-atari@su-score.arpa
> 	net.micro.cpm		info-cpm@amsaa.arpa
> 	net.origins		evolution@kestrel.arpa
> 	net.physics		physics@sri-unix.arpa
> 	net.railroad		railroad@rochester.arpa
> 	net.sf-lovers		sf-lovers@red.rutgers.edu
> 	net.sources		unix-source@brl.arpa
> 	net.space		space@mit-mc.arpa
> 	net.unix		info-unix@brl.arpa
> 	net.unix-wizards	unix-wizards@brl.arpa
> 	net.video		videotech@sri-csl.arpa
31,33c60,63
< Note that there are distribution categories which can be used to
< restrict the propagation of news articles.  Currently, distributions
< include:
---
> There are groups in other subcategories, but they are local: to
> institutions, to geographic regions, etc. and they are not listed
> here.  Note that these distribution categories can be used to restrict
> the propagation of news articles.  Currently, distributions include:
50a81
> Please notify me of any errors or additions to the list below.
61a93
> 	net.announce.arpa-internet	Announcements from the Arpa world
71d102
< net.bizarre		Strange postings and reports of odd occurrences.
244,257c275,289
< fa.arms-d		Arms discussion digest.
< fa.arpa-bboard		ARPANET bulletin board.
< fa.human-nets		Computer aided communications digest.
< fa.info-kermit		Information about the popular Kermit software package.
< fa.info-mac		Apple MacIntosh micros.
< fa.info-terms		All sorts of terminals.
< fa.info-vax		DEC's VAX* line of computers.
< fa.info-vlsi		Very large scale integrated circuits.
< fa.laser-lovers		Laser printers, hardware and software.
< fa.poli-sci		Politics and/versus science.
< fa.risks		Risks and security
< fa.tcp-ip		TCP and IP network protocols.
< fa.telecom		Telecommunications digest.
<
---
> mod.ai			Discussions about Artificial Intelligence
> mod.computers		Discussion about various computers and related.
> 	mod.computers.apollo		Apollo computer systems.
> 	mod.computers.ibm-pc		The IBM PC, PC-XT, and PC-AT.
> 	mod.computers.laser-printers	Laser printers, hardware and software.
> 	mod.computers.macintosh		Apple MacIntosh micros.
> 	mod.computers.pyramid		Pyramid 90x computers.
> 	mod.computers.ridge		Ridge 32 computers and ROS.
> 	mod.computers.sequent		Sequent systems, (esp. Balance 8000).
> 	mod.computers.sun		Sun "workstation" computers
> 	mod.computers.vax		DEC's VAX* line of computers & VMS.
> 	mod.computers.workstations	Various workstation-type computers.
> mod.graphics		Grpahics software, hardware, theory, etc.
> mod.human-nets		Computer aided communications digest.
> mod.legal		Discussions of computers and the law.
264a297,301
> 	mod.politics.arms-d		Arms discussion digest.
> mod.protocols		Various forms and types of FTP protocol discussions.
> 	mod.protocols.appletalk		Applebus hardware & software discussion.
> 	mod.protocols.kermit		Information about the Kermit package.
> 	mod.protocols.tcp-ip		TCP and IP network protocols.
267c304,305
< mod.sources		Moderated postings of public domain sources
---
> mod.risks		Risks to the public from computers & users.
> mod.sources		Moderated postings of public domain sources.
270c308
< 	mod.std.mumps		Discussion about standards for MUMPS
---
> 	mod.std.mumps		Discussion for the X11.1 committee on Mumps
271a310
> mod.telecom		Telecommunications digest.
273a313
> mod.vlsi		Very large scale integrated circuits.
281d320
< * Coke is a Trademark of the Coca-Cola Corporation.

usenet@gatech.CSNET (11/15/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 30 October 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 10 November 1985 by spaf]
13,16c13,18
< world-wide distribution.  "mod" groups are moderated.  They can only be
< posted to by mailing submissions to the moderator (provided in a
< companion posting).  Some of the "mod" groups are gatewayed to USENET
< from the ARPA Internet.
---
> world-wide distribution.  Not all "net" groups actually enjoy such wide
> distribution, however.  The European Usenet sites (Eunet) take only a
> selected subset of the more "technical" groups, and controversial
> "noise" groups such as "net.flame" are often not carried by many sites
> in the US and Canada (net.flame is carried by about 2/3 of the
> US backbone sites).
17a20,24
> "mod" groups are moderated or are monitored mailing lists.  They can
> only be posted to by mailing submissions to the coordinator (provided
> in a companion posting).  Some of the "mod" groups are gatewayed to
> USENET from the ARPA Internet and appear as "mod" groups to facilitate
> distribution and posting from the Usenet.
38d44
< 	net.info-terms		info-terms@mit-mc.arpa
40a47
> 	net.info-terms		info-terms@mit-mc.arpa
144a152

usenet@gatech.CSNET (12/01/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 10 November 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 29 November 1985 by spaf]
16,18c16
< "noise" groups such as "net.flame" are often not carried by many sites
< in the US and Canada (net.flame is carried by about 2/3 of the
< US backbone sites).
---
> "noise" groups are often not carried by many sites in the US and Canada.
19a18

27c26
< ARPAnet Internet mailing lists; items submitted from the ARPA side to
---
> ARPA Internet mailing lists; items submitted from the ARPA side to
131d129
< net.flame		For flaming on any topic.
190c188
< 	net.micro.mac		Material about the Apple MacIntosh & Lisa
---
> 	net.micro.mac		Material about the Apple Macintosh & Lisa
194c192
< net.misc		Various discussions too short lived for other groups.
---
> net.misc		Various discussions too short-lived for other groups.
254c252
< 	net.sources.mac		Software for the Apple MacIntosh
---
> 	net.sources.mac		Software for the Apple Macintosh
288c286
< 	mod.computers.macintosh		Apple MacIntosh micros.
---
> 	mod.computers.macintosh		Apple Macintosh micros.
295c293

usenet@gatech.CSNET (12/17/85)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 29 November 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 3 December 1985 by spaf]
309a310

usenet@gatech.CSNET (01/01/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 3 December 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 31 December 1985 by spaf]
281a282
> mod.compilers		Discussion about compiler construction, theory, etc.
312c313,314

usenet@gatech.CSNET (01/16/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 31 December 1985 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 13 January 1986 by spaf]
302a303,305
> mod.os			Disussions about operating systems and related areas.
> 	mod.os.os9		Discussions about the os9 operating system.
> 	mod.os.unix		Moderated discussion of Unix* features and bugs.
318a322
> mod.techreports		Announcements and lists of technical reports.
321d324
< mod.unix		Moderated discussion of Unix* features and bugs

usenet@gatech.UUCP (02/16/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 13 January 1986 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 13 February 1986 by spaf]
143c143
< net.general		*Important* and timely announcements of interest to all.
---
> net.general		*Important*, timely announcements of worldwide interest.
160a161
> 	net.lang.c++		The object-oriented C++ language.
305c306
< 	mod.os.unix		Moderated discussion of Unix* features and bugs.
---
> 	mod.os.unix		Moderated discussion of UNIX* features and bugs.
321c322
< 	mod.std.unix		Discussion for the P1003 committee on Unix
---

usenet@gatech.UUCP (03/01/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 13 February 1986 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 19 February 1986 by spaf]
184c184,185

usenet@gatech.UUCP (03/02/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 19 February 1986 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 2 March 1986 by spaf]
47c47
< 	net.lang.ada		info-ada@usc-eclb.arpa
---
> 	net.lang.ada		info-ada@usc-isif.arpa
289d288
< 	mod.computers.macintosh		Apple Macintosh micros.
298a298,300

usenet@gatech.UUCP (03/16/86)

5c5
< [Most recent change: 2 March 1986 by spaf]
---
> [Most recent change: 14 March 1986 by spaf]
43c43
< 	net.emacs		unix-emacs@c.cs.cmu.edu
---
> 	net.emacs		unix-emacs@cc5.bbn.com
252a253
> 	net.sources.d		For followup discussion on net.sources postings.

usenet@gatech.CSNET (06/03/86)

*** old/active.n	Sat May 17 20:22:47 1986
--- src/active.n	Sat May 24 23:03:07 1986
***************
*** 4,6

! [Most recent change: 17 May 1986 by spaf]

--- 4,6 -----

! [Most recent change: 24 May 1986 by spaf]

***************
*** 120,121
  net.consumers		Consumer interests, product reviews, etc.
  net.cooks		Food, cooking, cookbooks, and recipes.

--- 120,122 -----
  net.consumers		Consumer interests, product reviews, etc.
+ 	net.consumers.house	Discussion about owning and maintaining a house.
  net.cooks		Food, cooking, cookbooks, and recipes.
***************
*** 148,150
  	net.ham-radio.packet	Discussion about packet radio setups.
- net.house		Discussion about owning and maintaining a house.
  net.info-terms		All sorts of terminals.

--- 149,150 -----
  	net.ham-radio.packet	Discussion about packet radio setups.
  net.info-terms		All sorts of terminals.
***************
*** 179,181
  net.micro		Micro computers of all kinds.
- 	net.micro.16k		National Semiconductor 32000 series chips
  	net.micro.6809		Discussion about 6809's.

--- 179,180 -----
  net.micro		Micro computers of all kinds.
  	net.micro.6809		Discussion about 6809's.
***************
*** 191,192
  	net.micro.mac		Material about the Apple Macintosh & Lisa
  	net.micro.pc		Discussion about IBM personal computers.

--- 190,192 -----
  	net.micro.mac		Material about the Apple Macintosh & Lisa
+ 	net.micro.ns32k		National Semiconductor 32000 series chips
  	net.micro.pc		Discussion about IBM personal computers.

usenet@gatech.CSNET (06/20/86)

*** old/active.n	Mon Jun  2 18:43:30 1986
--- src/active.n	Thu Jun 19 17:38:07 1986
***************
*** 4,6

! [Most recent change: 24 May 1986 by spaf]

--- 4,6 -----

! [Most recent change: 19 June 1986 by spaf]

***************
*** 53,55

--- 53,56 -----
  	net.micro.amiga		info-amiga@red.rutgers.edu
! 	net.micro.atari8	info-atari8@su-score.arpa
! 	net.micro.atari16	info-atari16@su-score.arpa
  	net.micro.cpm		info-cpm@amsaa.arpa
***************
*** 59,62
  	net.sf-lovers		sf-lovers@red.rutgers.edu
! 	net.sources		unix-source@brl.arpa
! 	net.space		space@mit-mc.arpa
  	net.unix		info-unix@brl.arpa

--- 60,63 -----
  	net.sf-lovers		sf-lovers@red.rutgers.edu
! 	net.sources		unix-sources@brl.arpa
! 	net.space		space@mc.lcs.mit.edu
  	net.unix		info-unix@brl.arpa
***************
*** 63,65
  	net.unix-wizards	unix-wizards@brl.arpa
! 	net.video		videotech@sri-csl.arpa

--- 64,66 -----
  	net.unix-wizards	unix-wizards@brl.arpa
! 	net.video		videotech@simtel20.arpa

***************
*** 285,286

  mod.ai			Discussions about Artificial Intelligence

--- 286,289 -----

+ mod.announce		Moderated, general announcements of interest to all.
+ 	mod.announce.newusers	Moderated, explanatory postings for new users.
  mod.ai			Discussions about Artificial Intelligence
***************
*** 302,303
  	mod.computers.workstations	Various workstation-type computers.
  mod.graphics		Graphics software, hardware, theory, etc.

--- 305,308 -----
  	mod.computers.workstations	Various workstation-type computers.
+ mod.conferences		Calls for papers and conference announcements.
+ mod.comp-soc		Discussion on the impact of technology on society.
  mod.graphics		Graphics software, hardware, theory, etc.
*** 314,315
  mod.music		Moderated reviews and discussion of things musical
  mod.newprod		Announcements of new products of interest to readers

--- 319,321 -----
  mod.music		Moderated reviews and discussion of things musical
+ 	mod.music.love-hounds	Progressive music discussions (e.g., Kate Bush).
  mod.newprod		Announcements of new products of interest to readers