[net.abortion] Pro-which-life

amigo2@ihuxq.UUCP (John Hobson) (03/19/84)

My main complaint with the pro-life people is that for many of them,
pro-life = anti-abortion.  What about being against war, against
capital punishment, against vivisection.  Frank Schaeffer (son of the
well known evangelical Christian writer Francis Schaeffer) has
recently written a book, BAD NEWS FOR MODERN MAN, in which he takes a
strong stand against abortion, and blasts Cardinal Bernadin of
Chicago for saying that pro-life activists should also be against
war and capital punishment.  Personally, I support the Cardinal's
stand, and say that if you are against the one as being destructive
of human life, then logically you should also be against the others.
I do not understand Schaeffer's view.  Admittedly, I have not read
the book, only reviews of it.

Personally, I am against abortion, but I have a problem.  I once had
a friend of mine nearly die and become permanently sterile because
of a botched "back street" abortion (this was before the Roe vs.
Wade decision); and I fear that if abortion were banned, this sort
of thing would start happening again.

I am also leary of people who make sweeping moral statements saying
that something is immoral in all cases.  It is a fairly well
accepted rule in ethics that the context of an action must be
considered before any judgement of its morality may be made.

				John Hobson
				AT&T Bell Labs--Naperville, IL
				ihnp4!ihuxq!amigo2

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/23/84)

Ethics is a pretty complicated issue. The context of an ethical action is
of supreme importance in telological (consequentialist) theories of
ethics (such as utilitarianism or ethical egoism) but doesn't really
matter as much in deontological theories (such as Kant's) and really
doesn't matter very much as all (except in that it is interesting)
in theories such as Natural Law where an action can been demonstrated
to be wrong regardless of the consequences.

The difference between them is rather clearly seen when I pose the
question:

	It is wrong to kill humn beings.

Almost everybody will agree with this. However, a lot of people will
say "it is wrong because it just is" (thus supporting natural law,
and having found a basic axiom of truth which need not be questioned)
where as other people will say "well, this is in general true, but there are
cases when it is morally right to kill a human being". These people
(usually utilitarians, since the theory is relatively popular) see that
the good of an action can only be ascertained with respect to its
consequences (in this case "the greatest good of the greatest number").

Personally, I think that utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed. What
I don't know how to do is judge whether a fetus is human or not. Until
there is a definition that everyone can live with (and don't hold
your breath) I do not think you should abort *anything*, simply because
if you made a mistake in your assessment of human life you would act
againsyt the basic good of human life, which to my mind is *the*
basic good and needs no justification.

(This puts me pretty solidly in the Natural Law camp, at least with
respect to the existence of axiomatic fundamental goods. However I
am also solidly in te ethical egoist camp, so if you expect
traditional Natural Law, you won't get it here. However, I support
ethical egoism because I think that it is in accordance with the natural
laws, which moves me back... The question is that I think that it is
never in your own interest to abort something which is a human being
<and remember, I don't know how to judge> and if you think that it is
then you are making a mistake in your judgement.)

However, having people raised in homes where they are not wanted is not
good and adoption has such a high rate of failure that either it is
fundamentally flawed or we don't know enough about how people grow up
to know how to adopt them properly. Therefore, the solution is to
make it extremely difficult to get pregnant. Sterilise everybody,
and then there will be no abortions and no unwanted children. If
you want children, then make the process reversible.

In Canada the proportion of unwed mothers who are on welfare is
staggering. I have to pay taxes to support these people who were
so damn irresponsible as to get pregnant in the first place. Birth
control methods fail, and people do get raped, but I know that most
of these children were the result of sheer irresponsibility on the
part of at least one (and usually 2) people. I would rather not pay
for these people's irresponsibility. I don't condone such blatant
immaturity and irresponsibility in anyone. Given the great number of
people who seem perfectly willing to act in such a lousy manner as
to have irresponsible sex, I would much rather sterilise the lot of
them. A lot of people have told me that this is harsh, but I have
yet to see why, given that sterilisation is reversible.

I'll bet if both the pro-life and the pro-choice camps sent their money
to this cause we would have reversible sterilisations pretty darn
quick.

--
Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

	"Capitalism is a lot of fun. If you aren't having fun, then
	 you're not doing it right."		-- toad terrific

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (03/26/84)

From: (Laura Creighton)
> The question is that I think that it is
> never in your own interest to abort something which is a human being
> <and remember, I don't know how to judge> and if you think that it is
> then you are making a mistake in your judgement.)

Huh? could you explain that Laura?  I agree that it is definitely not always
in the best interest of the fetus to be aborted, but in the best interest of
the person who wants to abort not to?  I just don't understand the reasonning
behind this statement.

> Therefore, the solution is to
> make it extremely difficult to get pregnant. Sterilise everybody,
> and then there will be no abortions and no unwanted children. If
> you want children, then make the process reversible.

The reversibility rate of sterilisations is very low now, so your suggestion
is completely impractible for the time being.  It might be a solution in
50 years, but not now, so what do we do in the meantime?

"sterilise everybody" eh?  who's "everybody".  It would be cheaper to sterilise
only one sex, but which sex is going to get it?  practicality seems to point
to males, but how much are you willing to bet, we'd get it?  What happens in
between children? the sterilised parent would have to go through 2n+1 operations
to bear n children (1 desterilisation + 1 sterilisation) + the initial
sterilisation.  This is pretty crazy!! what about the side-effects of such
operations?  Your solution is very neat sounding but completely impractical
health-wise because it has too many conditions it needs to satisfy.

> In Canada the proportion of unwed mothers who are on welfare is
> staggering. I have to pay taxes to support these people who were
> so damn irresponsible as to get pregnant in the first place. Birth
> control methods fail, and people do get raped, but I know that most
> of these children were the result of sheer irresponsibility on the
> part of at least one (and usually 2) people. I would rather not pay
> for these people's irresponsibility. I don't condone such blatant
> immaturity and irresponsibility in anyone. Given the great number of
> people who seem perfectly willing to act in such a lousy manner as
> to have irresponsible sex, I would much rather sterilise the lot of
> them. A lot of people have told me that this is harsh, but I have
> yet to see why, given that sterilisation is reversible.

On behalf of all pregnant teenagers: "pardon me for being immature".  As far
as I can tell, immaturity is something one is born with and that one keeps
until one becomes mature.  Yes, you're right in pointing out that pregnant
teenagers are immature.  Teenagers usually are.  You don't condone immaturity?
You'd better stay away from children.  Most of the ones I've met are pretty
immature.

"irresponsible sex", could you define this term please, and explain why it is
"lousy"?

My, we are being holy!!  If you are interested, Canada is like most industriali-
sed countries in that it has a problem because its population is aging.  These
children who are the product of "irresponsibility" or whatever are the ones
who will be paying for your livelyhood when you are too old to work, they will
be the ones producing the food you eat and all the other goods you will be
consuming even though you will not be working.  Without them you'll be dead!!
You'd better take care of them now when you can.

You basically have a choice between 2 types of society:
In the first one, the strong take care of the weak, where the weak are usually
the young, the old, the diseased and the socially disadvantaged.  It is hoped
in this kind of society that at one time in their life, each individual will
be strong and contribute to the caring of the weak.  It is also more or less
accepted that there are some people who will never be strong enough to pull
their weight and others who will never be weak enough (except in childhood)
to benefit from being helped by the strong.  This is what is commonly refered
to as a "welfare state".
In the second one, everybody does as they damn well please and nobody cares
about the others.  Let them eat shit if they can't defend themselves.  The
problem with this one is that most people cannot be continually strong, so this
society is the kind of society where children, old people, and other weak
members are left unprotected.  Talk about killing embryos, what about letting
old people starve?  For some reason, the second thing seems as bad to me as
the first one (or even worse since we know for sure that old people are persons)

We live in a combination of the two, but our society is based on the welfare
idea.  YOU have already benefited from it when you were young.
Where do you think that education of yours came from?  sure your parents payed
a great deal, but society paid even more than they did.  You never asked for
it, so why should you be forced to pay now?  Well you can rhetorically try to
get out of it.  Pay society back for your education, medical care and promise
you'll never use anything that will be produced by those "welfare" children
when they grow up, then maybe you can start bitching about being forced to
pay money for them.  Unfortunately, this is all rhetorical, there is no way for
people like you to get out of it in practise, and it is a shame because it will
mean that you will continue to take advantage of evrything that is given
to you and still bitch about having to pay for other people's children.

> I'll bet if both the pro-life and the pro-choice camps sent their money
> to this cause we would have reversible sterilisations pretty darn
> quick.

The pro-choice people do believe in CHOICE to have children or not and choice
over what to do with our bodies.  This includes the choice of whether or not
to be sterilised.  So there is no way that pro-choice people would ever
endorse such a solution as the one you've just suggested.

Laura, I am very surprised that you do not have anything more realistic to
say about the matter.  I have another suggestion in the same vein as yours
and much more realistic in that science is quickly progressing in that
direction and this solution will be much more practical and less dangerous
health wise:  do away with this messy business of birth, and have test tube
babies instead;  you will only need one sterilisation this way.
Did you ever read "brave new world": "civilisation is sterilisation"  (haha,
at least this one is not a cliche this year).  We will soon be able to do
everything they do there.  You won't have to worry about paying for those awful
"welfare" babies and their horrible "irresponsible" parents, you will be able to
make sure that none of these disgusting welfare people will ever get their hands
on kids either.  Maybe you will also be able to make sure that none of these
"welfare" people are born in the first place by skillful manipulation of the
right gene (:-))  After all, if we can progree enough to be able to produce
safe, completely reversible sterilisations, why couldn't we also develop safe
ex-utero growing environments for embryos?

AHHH YECCHHH!!!!!

> --
> Laura Creighton
> utzoo!laura
>
> 	"Capitalism is a lot of fun. If you aren't having fun, then
> 	 you're not doing it right."		-- toad terrific

"Capitalism is a lot of fun.  If you aren't having fun, then that's
because the others are having too much fun at your expense"

				Sophie Quigley
			...!{decvax,allegra}!watmath!saquigley

ix192@sdccs6.UUCP (03/26/84)

[]

From: ...utzoo!laura (Laura Creighton)

> 	"It is wrong to kill human beings"  	<-[ Retyped by me (Kenn) ]
>
> Almost everybody will agree with this. However, a lot of people will
> say "it is wrong because it just is" (thus supporting natural law,
> and having found a basic axiom of truth which need not be questioned)
> where as other people will say "well, this is in general true, but there are
> cases when it is morally right to kill a human being". These people
> (usually utilitarians, since the theory is relatively popular) see that
> the good of an action can only be ascertained with respect to its
> consequences (in this case "the greatest good of the greatest number").
> Personally, I think that utilitarianism is fundamentally flawed.

Well then why don't you take on a pragmatistic point of view - Humans created
the 'do not kill humans' rule so they or their loved ones wouldn't be killed.
I would think this is a much more efficient and understandable reason than,
"because it is".

> What
> I don't know how to do is judge whether a fetus is human or not. Until
> there is a definition that everyone can live with (and don't hold
> your breath) I do not think you should abort *anything*, simply because
> if you made a mistake in your assessment of human life you would act
> againsyt the basic good of human life, which to my mind is *the*
> basic good and needs no justification.

Hold it kiddo!  Who's lives are you talking about here?  The fetus, and only
the fetus, and I think that's a pretty damned selfish point of view.  I would
never sacrifice any part of my life towards a child I don't have to or want to
have, even if it would mean saving it's life.  And I would never want anyone
else to do so either.  A fetus can't feel it's death.  It can't suffer.  But
those of us who it involves can suffer, and most of us will.

(Which I admit is also a sort of selfish point of view, but I would consider
at least two living human beings more important than one potential one)

>	<and remember, I don't know how to judge>

You're right.

> The question is that I think that it is
> never in your own interest to abort something which is a human being
> and if you think that it is
> then you are making a mistake in your judgement.

I think it is.  Kids are fine if you are ready for them, but in this cut-throat
and dog-eat-dog world we live in (and over-populated as well, remember!), they
are definetly an impedement for the unhappy mother and father.  And even if
the parents are happy with the child, unless one of them was going to stay
at home constantly anyway, futures and jobs have been changed and the family's
children will grow up in bleaker times than they should have.

> However, having people raised in homes where they are not wanted is not
> good and adoption has such a high rate of failure that either it is
> fundamentally flawed or we don't know enough about how people grow up
> to know how to adopt them properly. Therefore, the solution is to
> make it extremely difficult to get pregnant. Sterilise everybody,
> and then there will be no abortions and no unwanted children. If
> you want children, then make the process reversible.

Good!  I hope you're joking.  Should we eliminate the Jews and Blacks
afterwards, and annex South America?  Forcing sterilization is playing
the same game as Opression, kiddo.  Watch who you vote for.

> In Canada the proportion of unwed mothers who are on welfare is
> staggering. I have to pay taxes to support these people who were
> so damn irresponsible as to get pregnant in the first place. Birth
> control methods fail, and people do get raped, but I know that most
> of these children were the result of sheer irresponsibility on the
> part of at least one (and usually 2) people. I would rather not pay
> for these people's irresponsibility. I don't condone such blatant
> immaturity and irresponsibility in anyone. Given the great number of
> people who seem perfectly willing to act in such a lousy manner as
> to have irresponsible sex, I would much rather sterilise the lot of
> them.

Let me get this straight - someone as radical as you can't condone the killing
of a few fetuses, but would rather force a fifth of your entire nation to
undergo a process which virtually none of them would agree to?  Sure, we could
nuke all the poor countries in the world, take them over and there'd be no
third world problems.  We could move the Jews back to Israel and the Blacks to
Africa, all the nationalities to their countries of origin and there'd be no
ratial problems.  It doesn't work Laura, people don't want to go along.  But
with an abortion, two of the three people will go along, and the third isn't
even a people yet.

> A lot of people have told me that this is harsh, but I have
> yet to see why, given that sterilisation is reversible.

It is?  Not when I last heard about it.

> I'll bet if both the pro-life and the pro-choice camps sent their money
> to this cause we would have reversible sterilisations pretty darn
> quick.

I'm willing to pay for an abortion, I'm willing to pay for someone else's
abortion, but not for other people not to get pregnant!  Unwanted pregnancies
will always be around while the younger generations are so promiscuous.  No
sterilization will always be guaranteed reversable, so people won't risk a
mandatory post-birth operation.  You'll have the same situation as today -
and with abortion outlawed.  And abortion seems to be the only thing that's
a cure for today's pregnancy problems.

				   Kenn the Kenf
				...!sdcsvax!kenn
				...!sdcsvax!sdccs6!ix192
				...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!kenn

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/31/84)

		The question is that I think that it is
		never in your own interest to abort something which is a human being
		<and remember, I don't know how to judge> and if you think that it is
		then you are making a mistake in your judgement.)

	Huh? could you explain that Laura?  I agree that it is definitely not always
	in the best interest of the fetus to be aborted, but in the best interest of
	the person who wants to abort not to?  I just don't understand the reasonning
	behind this statement.

Sophie, it is never a good idea to kill another human being. Human beings
are very valuable. Thus if the fetus is a human being then killing it
is a bad idea. It may not be in your best interests to RAISE the child,
but there is absolutely nothing that one can be doing which can justify
killing another human being, unless that human being will kill you
unless you kill them first.

		Therefore, the solution is to
		make it extremely difficult to get pregnant. Sterilise everybody,
		and then there will be no abortions and no unwanted children. If
		you want children, then make the process reversible.

	The reversibility rate of sterilisations is very low now, so your suggestion
	is completely impractible for the time being.  It might be a solution in
	50 years, but not now, so what do we do in the meantime?

50 years is an unrealistic estimate. The difficulties in reversing
sterilisation are not theoretical, but technical. However, if we
make abortion commonly available, nobody may be motivated by need or
profit to develop reversible sterilisations.

	"sterilise everybody" eh?  who's "everybody".  It would be cheaper to sterilise
	only one sex, but which sex is going to get it?  practicality seems to point
	to males, but how much are you willing to bet, we'd get it?  What happens in
	between children? the sterilised parent would have to go through 2n+1 operations
	to bear n children (1 desterilisation + 1 sterilisation) + the initial
	sterilisation.  This is pretty crazy!! what about the side-effects of such
	operations?  Your solution is very neat sounding but completely impractical
	health-wise because it has too many conditions it needs to satisfy.

No, it is not unpractical. I don't particularily care *who* get sterilised --
everybody, just one sex, this hardly strikes me as important. If the decision
to have a child or not is a decision that is to be shared by the sexes
(something that I believe in, but is obviously not belieed by those who
think that a woman should have te right to terminate any pergancy she does
not want but here husband does not have the same right, or conversely that
she should be allowed to bear a child that her husband does not want yet
he be prevented from having her bear a child which he wants, thus making
the decision to have a child a decision which is entirely the woman's)
then it is more agreeable to have both sexes sterilised.

The business of the repeat surgery is not necessary. All you need is to
make people sign a legal document saying that they will take responsibility
for any fetus that they might be responsible for at least in so far as
they will not have it aborted. If you are willing to not abort any
fetus that you might be responsible for then there is no reason for the
sterilisation. However, since a great many  people do not want to be
responsible for any fetus that they engender, it must be made possible
to deal with these people on-masse.

If other methods of birth control were 100% effective then sterilisation
would not be necesarry. However, there are theoretical problems with
this rather than the technical ones concerning sterilisation.

[...]

It may be that it is not the teenagers' fault for being immature, but there
is something to blame. After all, not all teenagers are immature. I might
be able to pardon you for being immature, but that in no way will leave
me condoning it. Forgiveness is not the same as condoning.

	"irresponsible sex", could you define this term please, and explain why it is
	"lousy"?

it is lousy because all actions which are so short-sighted that they do not
take into consideration their consequences are te products of unthinking
minds. And unthinking is my bottom line definition of evil, just as life
is my bottom line definition of good. I can go on about this at great
length, but I do not have REASONS for believing that life is good and
unthinking is evil, they are basic truths. (Remember I said that I was
not particularily interested in teleological theories of ethics).

	My, we are being holy!!  If you are interested, Canada is like most industriali-
	sed countries in that it has a problem because its population is aging.  These
	children who are the product of "irresponsibility" or whatever are the ones
	who will be paying for your livelyhood when you are too old to work, they will
	be the ones producing the food you eat and all the other goods you will be
	consuming even though you will not be working.  Without them you'll be dead!!
	You'd better take care of them now when you can.

By aboring them? Sounds like a pretty crummy way to take care of them to me.

by the way, I doubt that any of todays children will ever be supporting me.
I expect the whole Social Security system to collapse within the next 20
years.

	You basically have a choice between 2 types of society:
	In the first one, the strong take care of the weak, where the weak are usually
	the young, the old, the diseased and the socially disadvantaged.  It is hoped
	in this kind of society that at one time in their life, each individual will
	be strong and contribute to the caring of the weak.  It is also more or less
	accepted that there are some people who will never be strong enough to pull
	their weight and others who will never be weak enough (except in childhood)
	to benefit from being helped by the strong.  This is what is commonly refered
	to as a "welfare state".

Ah, there is a lot more to this than that.

	In the second one, everybody does as they damn well please and nobody cares
	about the others.  Let them eat shit if they can't defend themselves.  The
	problem with this one is that most people cannot be continually strong, so this
	society is the kind of society where children, old people, and other weak
	members are left unprotected.  Talk about killing embryos, what about letting
	old people starve?  For some reason, the second thing seems as bad to me as
	the first one (or even worse since we know for sure that old people are persons)

It does not follow that people will not care for others unless tere is some
big government forcing them to by means of a welfare state. Most people
seem to have oter reasons for caring. ``Dog eat dog'' is one of the
great distortions of capitalism. In fact, under a properly working
capitalist system tere will be no reason for dogs to eat dogs since it
is all too reasonable to co-oporate instead. States, however, are
pretty good at making people into objects for other people's benefit
which is precisely what you are complaining about. But don't you
have the source incorrectly labelled?

	We live in a combination of the two, but our society is based on the welfare
	idea.  YOU have already benefited from it when you were young.

I don't think so.

	Where do you think that education of yours came from?  sure your parents payed
	a great deal, but society paid even more than they did.

My parents payed for private education inprivate schools when I was in
grade and high school. Not a drop of tax money went into my education.
I am paying for my eductation at university. I have payed for my
brother's education at a community college. Canadian universities are
cheaper than American universities but I have already paid in taxes
more than enough money to have paid for the level of university education
I have at an American university.

Come again? Where has this welfare system actually benefitted me?

	You never asked for
	it, so why should you be forced to pay now?  Well you can rhetorically try to
	get out of it.  Pay society back for your education, medical care and promise
	you'll never use anything that will be produced by those "welfare" children
	when they grow up, then maybe you can start bitching about being forced to
	pay money for them.  Unfortunately, this is all rhetorical, there is no way for
	people like you to get out of it in practise, and it is a shame because it will
	mean that you will continue to take advantage of evrything that is given
	to you and still bitch about having to pay for other people's children.

No. It is possible to get out of the system, but merely difficult. Try
any Libertarian party to find out what people are doing. I still can see
that I have paid more into the system than I have taken out.

		I'll bet if both the pro-life and the pro-choice camps sent their money
		to this cause we would have reversible sterilisations pretty darn
		quick.

	The pro-choice people do believe in CHOICE to have children or not and choice
	over what to do with our bodies.  This includes the choice of whether or not
	to be sterilised.  So there is no way that pro-choice people would ever
	endorse such a solution as the one you've just suggested.

I know that. There position is only tenable if the fetus is not a human being,
though. Otherwise you are denying the fetus the fetus the right to live
with his body which is antithetical to your position.

	Laura, I am very surprised that you do not have anything more realistic to
	say about the matter.  I have another suggestion in the same vein as yours
	and much more realistic in that science is quickly progressing in that
	direction and this solution will be much more practical and less dangerous
	health wise:  do away with this messy business of birth, and have test tube
	babies instead;  you will only need one sterilisation this way.

This is fine with me. However, some people will want to have babies the
traditional way, and I certainly wouldn't want to stop them.

	Did you ever read "brave new world": "civilisation is sterilisation"  (haha,
	at least this one is not a cliche this year).  We will soon be able to do
	everything they do there.  You won't have to worry about paying for those awful
	"welfare" babies and their horrible "irresponsible" parents, you will be able to
	make sure that none of these disgusting welfare people will ever get their hands
	on kids either.  Maybe you will also be able to make sure that none of these
	"welfare" people are born in the first place by skillful manipulation of the
	right gene (:-))  After all, if we can progree enough to be able to produce
	safe, completely reversible sterilisations, why couldn't we also develop safe
	ex-utero growing environments for embryos?

Maybe. Gene manipulation is very tricky, and most people who want kids
do not want to *build* them, even if it were possible. ex-utero environments
would be nice, but they are harder than reversible sterilisations, and
may never be feasible.

Sophie, I am not trying to stop irresponsible people from having kids.
I am trying to stop them from aborting something which may be a human
being. However, I would much prefer that they did not receive their
support through a government. Private individuals can support other
individuals, after all. I would prefer it if nobody decided to have a kid
until it was demonstrable that the means to raise the child was also
available. By making pregnancy difficult, rather than just something that
happens to you you could achieve most of this effect.
--
Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

	"Capitalism is a lot of fun. If you aren't having fun, then
	 you're not doing it right."		-- toad terrific

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/31/84)

Kenn,

Statements like ``the fetus can't feel its own death'' require proof.
Why is forced sterilisation so repugnant? I am not talking about
forced PERMANENT sterilisation; I explicitly mentioned reversible ones.

I should like to give people a choice. Either practice birth control
(and here is an effective reversible way -- sterilisation) or
be responsible for any child that you engender. Until this choice
is givn to people then there will always be illegal abortions even if
there is no such thing as a legal abortion. Therefore, if you really
want to stop the problem of unwanted pregancies leading to the
killing of what might be a human being you must have such a choice
to give people.

In practice, it might not even be necessary to sterilise very many
people. The mere thought of this might get people to realise
what a grave responsibilitly is a possible outcome of sex. Thus
only those who are willing to take on this responsibility could
sign the form which says ``no abortions if I am responsible for the
engendering of a child''. Sterilisation would then be a
wonderful choice for those who really want to avoid having a child
at the present time. If it were routine surgery then people
would not be so upset about it -- just as most people are not
upset about circumcision or appendectomies. For those who
are upset about such things there is always the form to sign.

I figure that this sort of thing could be implemented much in
the same way as one has draft registration. Perhaps you should have
everyone sign the form and just make reversible sterilisation
a heavily talked about method of birth control. If you just
make ``no abortions'' part of the criminal code you will accomplish
this thing, but I would rather that people actually had to
go out and sign some papaer just because it will drive home the
fact that this decision is one which they are commiting themselves to
in writing.

The reason which I do not say that life is valuable because man
has chosen it so is that it makes a rational system of ethics
impossible. You will be governed by your whims and I will be
governed by mine and since we both chose to act on our whims there
is no way in which one can say that ``I am right'' or ``you are
wrong'' or vice versa. Decisions become a matter of opinion only,
and not of truth.

I do not think that life is valuable because I have chosen it to
be -- I believe that I chose life to be valuable for me because
it *is*. In the same way, I do not believe that knowledge is
valaubel because I have chosen to persue knowledge, but rather that
I choose to persue knowledge because it it valuable. If I chose to
be ignorant then ignorance would not become a virtue by the
fact that I chose it (this is the position of Sartre, by the way)
but I would be making a logical error in whatever lead me to
believe that ignorance is a virtue. In brief, I WOULD BE WRONG.

There is no purpose to ethics if there is no question of right or
wrong. The purpose of ethical theories is to provide a guideline
over what actions one should do. By and large, all theories say that
you should ``do good and don't do evil''. They differ over what
exactly constitutes an evil. No ethcial theory can tell you
what you ought to be doing at any given moment but they can tell
you certainthings which you should not be doing at any moment.

If one believes that killing is bad by virtue of men choosing that
killing is bad then one says that tere is no objective badness in
that action. thus an ethical theory is not possible. Everybody
should just go on making decisions which will be good by virtue
of their deciding them.

On te oter hand, most people want to say that certain things are
bad because the simply are, ad other things are good because they
simply are. The utilitarian maxim is ``the greatest good for the
greatest number''. This is the basic good of that theory. there
is no question of what makes that statement true -- if you are
a ulitarian you regard this as self-evident. Anyone who does not
hold this view is mistaken.

I, on th other hand, find that te utilitarians are mistaken.I think
that it is self-evident that life is good. I think that anyone who
does not agree with this is mistaken.

In any ethical position you will come down to certain postulates which
are accepted by the people who share that position which cannot
be proven by the sytem. (This is true of all formal systems --
see Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem for why this is true). What one
tries to do is to base one's rational system on what is true about
reality. For example, Euclidian geometry has 5 postulates. (4
of these are shared by most non-euclidian geomentries as well).
Geometric proofs work, (are real -- are isomorphic to reality)
because their basic postulates are grounded in reality. Why
don't 2 parellel lines intersect? because they don't! This is
the way that the universe works. Change te rules and you can get
elliptic and hyperbolic geometries which also work in the
realities which they are isomorphic with. (spheres for
elliptic geometries. I don't know what with hyperbolic geometries).

If you change all the rules you will get something which does not
even come close to modelling our reality and thus may be
interesting but is more or less useless in the matter of day to
day living. If parellel lines intersect in >2 points then the
thinking one can do with these ideas is a lot of fun, but when
I am building a bookcase I expect that the shelves are not
going to intersect because I use good old Euclidian geometry to
make them parellel.

I want te same degree of consistency in my ethical theory. Therefore
there will have to be certain postulates which must be consistent
with reality. An ethical theory which says that killing people
is great because all murdered people go to a wonderful afterlife
is only good if this is a fact -- if I am merely deluded then
my ethical system is out of joint with reality and thus no good.

My ultimate basic postulate is that life is good. there are other
postulates which are almost as basic such as ``knowledge is good''
and ``freedom is good''. But these things are good only so far as
they are real. No matter how hard I might choose to make leaping
out of a window and flying like Superman a good, leaping out of
a window and flying like Superman will never be a good because it is
not real -- I will fall like a rock. (building a flying device and
using it does not count for te purpose of this example.)

Thus ``is life good'' is a basic question which I think is a self
evident truth. It may be that you have decided that life is
not good in that it is bad or it is neutral. If you have
come to the conclusion that it is bad then I have serious doubts
about your ability to perceive reality, since you should at
least see that life CAN be good without any assistance.

If you believe that life is neutral, then what makes certain lives
good? Most people who have decided that life is neutral either
answer this by saying:

	God makes certain lives good

or
	Human freedom of choice makes certain lives good.

God I am going to leave out of the question. If God exists then
I may be making a big mistake here, but Larry Bickford is
already working on demonstrating to me that God exists so if I
get the inkling that my current belief (God viewed as a being
who actually cares about human beings and it to some degree
anthropomorphic does not exist -- <I can hack the notion
of God as the set of mathematical principles which hold true
in this reality, but this is not what most people mean by God>)
is not grounded in reality because I get evidence that God exists
I will have to backtrack here and say that life might be made
good because God makes certain lives good.

On to freedom. Freedom is a good, I am sure. Freedom is what one
uses to determine which of possible goods I will actualise. (Will
i paint my new bookcase or stain it? both choices are good). I do
not think that freedom s what makes other things good.

Rather I do not think that the notion of goodness can exist under
such a constraint. Nothing is objectively good, so therefore
anything which I choose to do is a good by virtue of my choice.

Thus if I choose to murder you that would be good. I think that
the notion of good has been drained of all meaning under such
a setup and we are left at the mercy of competing whims with no
recorse to te common reality which we share (anoter basic
postuate of mine -- also impossible to proove within the system,
as readers of Hume will know) to resolve differences.

I find this notion incorrect. Therfore I conclude that life is
a good, even though it implies that abortions are bad things and
I have strong personal reasons for wishing that I could find abortions morally
acceptable. But I do not let my whims prevent me from
sticking to that which is real as ultimately greater than my personal
desires.