[net.abortion] No subject. Sad, huh?

ix192@sdccs6.UUCP (03/26/84)

[]

From: ...utzoo!laura (Laura Creighton)

> In fact, if intelligence is to some degree
> inherited, and one of the reasons that people have an unwanted pregnancy
> is that tey were too stupid to use birth control, or use it properly,
> precisely the opposite is being selected for in the adopted kid.)

Give me a break!!!  Even the best birth control methods aren't perfect, and
if you feel like having sex with your husband, fiance, boyfriend, german
shepperd, you always run the risk of pregnancy.  If the methods used are
99% pregnant, and every night in Canana 100,000 couples make love, a
THOUSAND of them will become pregnant if the woman is fertile.  This
has nothing to do with intelligence, just your lack of research and
understanding!!!  Perhaps you aught to stick to net.singles.

> I just don't think that killing a human being is ever morally right, and
> I do not know how to get a definition of human. Therefore, perfect
> birth control is a must.

Tell me Laura, with your clinical point of view, which is better:

To stop abortions, let the adopted children grow up with adoptee parents and
	let be both unhappy (and I have to differ with this in the general
	sense) and hope for a discover of a perfect birth control (There is!
	Celibacy!  You just try to impliment THAT into our society!,
or,
    Kill fetuses, however human or not, and let the parents go on living as
	happily as they can.  Perfect birth does not exist today, it won't
	exist tomorrow, and it may never.  Until it comes along, something
	like abortion had better be available to those who want it.

				   Kenn the Kenf
				...!sdcsvax!kenn
				...!sdcsvax!sdccs6!ix192
				...!sdcsvax!sdccsu3!kenn

laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) (03/31/84)

It is better to adopt the fetus and have teh adopted kid and the
adopted parents unhappy. (note this seems more statistically
likely than parents with non adopted kids, but this is
not inevitable, just as it is not inevitable that not adopted
kids will turn out well). It is better to be unhappy than dead.

It also does not follow that people are doomed to unhappiness.
You can actually overcome whatever tendancies you have to be unhappy
and be happy. Both the women who says ``if I had this baby I could
never be happy again'' and the child who says ``unless I can know
my real mother I can never be happy'' are mistaken. People have
managed to be happy in spite of worse obstacles.

I am not in favour of celibacy. I am in favour of extremely
effective methods of birth control, like reversible sterilisation.
And while it is unfortunate that people using proper birth
control can still get pregnant, I do not think that it follows
that abortions are a good thing.

i don't really see how being pregnant is such a disaster. It takes
9 months. (Actually, these days you could probably do it in
6 months. Incubators are wonderful things.) I am not saying that
you should be forced to raise the child. However, I fail to see
what it could be that is so important that you do for 9 months
that is worth killing something which might be a human being.
--
Laura Creighton
utzoo!laura

	"Capitalism is a lot of fun. If you aren't having fun, then
	 you're not doing it right."		-- toad terrific

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (04/16/84)

Laura, you believe that it's better to be unhappy than dead.  Perhaps so.

Thus, you believe it's better for a woman to not have an abortion, even if
the resulting child is put up for adoption.  Perhaps that is the right
answer for you.

Then, do you believe that you have the right to prevent someone else, who
very well might wholly disagree with you, from having an abortion?

That's what really galls me about this whole subject.  No one is trying
to force any woman to have an abortion she doesn't want.  Some of us merely
want to prevent fanatics from forcing their morals on others.

The right answer, if there is one, is not all at clear.  Those of you who
would deny others' rights, can't you see that?  This is not a clear cut
issue, on which the vast majority of sane adults can agree.  The one simple,
obvious conclusion you CAN draw immediately, given that state of affairs,
is that you fanatics should back off.  Stop threatening the rest of us
by trying to make us live by your ethics.

Alan Silverstein