[net.abortion] Possible definitions of ...

edjames@ucbvax.UUCP (Ed James) (04/30/84)

Begin Forwarded Message
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 84 20:50:13 pdt
From: hpda!hpdsd!decot (Dave Decot)
Subject: Re: Possible definitions of human

The truck driver killed the victim.  Although the vicitm's body was
preserved, the sensations of being that he felt before the accident
are no longer present, therefore, there is no "human being" left.
Since his body still functions, he is an excellent candidate for
being an organ donor, and I hope his family understands that.

Whether you call a functioning mind a "soul" or not, that is the person
in my opinion.  However, I must disagree with you that an unborn
fetus/baby/whatever has no experience before birth.  The motions of
the mother's body can be felt, muffled sounds can be heard, and under
adverse circumstances such as successful or attempted abortion, developed
fetuses can feel quite a bit of pain.  Although one might not classify
these experiences as "high fidelity", they definitely serve an important
function in the development of the infant's brain.

Dave Decot	decvax!ucbvax!hpda!decot

End of Forwarded Message