	From: jvenner@wateng.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.wanted,net.misc
	Subject: Request for help

	     I am requesting donations to help pay my legal expenses.	I
	am a poor student who is trying	to appeal a 60 day jail	sentence,
	and if I have the money, the conviction	for dangerous driving.

(And so on...)

Well, this is certainly a novel way to abuse the network.

Next thing you know, we'll have Hare Krishnas and fundamentalist twits
sending us solicitations for money.

*Sigh*.
--

Darth Wombat
{ allegra, ihnp4, decvax, harpo, seismo, teklabs, ucbvax } !pur-ee!rsk

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (12/10/83)

Instead of sending money to Jason P Venner, better you send the money
to the widows and orphans fund of your choice which will help support
the people Jason injured or might injure in the future with his
dangerous driving.

Really!  Come on!  This guy is obviously crazy to send this request to
the net (I hope).
--
spoken:	mark weiser
UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!mark

smk@linus.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (12/10/83)

I want to be a millionaire in a year, but I don't want to do anything
towards that goal myself.  If anyone out there has the money to spare,
please send me the check or money order (please do not send cash thru
the <electronic> mail).  If you send me the money, I won't have to
steal to get it (one of the unsavory alternatives to meet my goal).

PS -- I also want to be master of time and space, and run a greasy spoon
in North Dakota (is there really one)?
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!smk	(UUCP)

nesacadm@ihu1h.UUCP (Bill Adams) (12/10/83)

Maybe it's a con game like the guy who asked the net what AWOL
stood for.  It could be that Mr. Venner is asking for money to
see how many schmoes will send it.

By the way, I could use some dough to fight off a spurious charge
a having carnal knowledge of a jar of peanut butter.

Any takers?????
--

               Bill Adams     -->  AT&T Communications
               ihnp4!ihu1h!nesacadm

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (12/11/83)

When the article appeared, I suggested to Jason Venner by mail that
he contact (1) the Ontario Legal Aid Plan, which exists to ensure
that no-one should go without essential legal services for lack of
money, and (2) his nearest law school, the University of Western
Ontario, which I'm sure has a community legal assistance program run
by law students which could help him out. I didn't receive a
reply, but I hope he has followed my advice. Free legal help
really *is* available in Ontario if you can't afford to pay for it.

Dave Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

chuqui@cae780.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/12/83)

Do you want to buy my flower?

*hummmmm*
--
From the dungeons of the warlock:		{amd70 qubix}!cae780!chuqui
		Chuqui the Plaid		*pif*

dave@taurus.UUCP (Dave Lukes) (12/20/83)

Well, I must admit that it aggravates me a bit too (especially since I
have a passionate dislike of any kind of dangerous driver), but there
again, so do all the other requests for money I keep seeing (e.g. new version
of EMACS from CCA, new electronic message service from Western Union ...),
but since no-one complains about those, why complain about this one ??

		Dave Lukes
		<U.K.>!ukc!hirst1!minotaur!dave