[net.abortion] infanticide

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (08/17/84)

> From: brianp@shark.UUCP (Brian Peterson)
> Modern civilization has given up infanticide.  We probably will
> gain much more than we could lose through abortion.

Brian: where have you been? The first statement is simply not
true.  Baby Doe was not unborn, but was born with a handicap,
and for this reason was "allowed to die".  This, even though
there were *several* families willing to adopt, which negates
the comment made several times in this newsgroup that pro-lifers
only scream about abortion and don't do anything about adopting
children.  In this case, these families were prevented by the
court from averting loss of life.  Further, Baby Doe is not an
isolated case.  But you won't see a lot of publicity about it
unless you look for the information.

This practice is a natural and inevitable result of the acceptance
of abortion on demand.  Note that the attitude also extends in the
other direction, to the aged.  Recall Gov. Lamm's remarks about the
"duty" of the old folks to hurry up and die.  (We notice he isn't
doing his part...guess he thinks he's not old enough.)
--

Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist...
						Colossians 1:17

brianp@shark.UUCP (Brian Peterson) (08/19/84)

arf    > From: brianp@shark.UUCP (Brian Peterson)
arf    > Modern civilization has given up infanticide.  We probably will
arf    > gain much more than we could lose through abortion.
arf    Brian: where have you been? The first statement is simply not
arf    true.  ...  But you won't see a lot of publicity about it
arf    unless you look for the information.
Oh.

arf	      Baby Doe was not unborn, but was born with a handicap,
arf    and for this reason was "allowed to die".  This, even though
arf    there were *several* families willing to adopt, which negates
arf    the comment made several times in this newsgroup that pro-lifers
arf    only scream about abortion and don't do anything about adopting
arf    children.
Defective babies is yet another topic.  What if the parents >decided<
that the baby should live or die as nature intended?  The hordes of
right-to-lifers clamoring to adopt that malformed baby would be going
against nature.  Some people might think it's wrong to go against nature.
Man's existence/purpose/destiny is not a predetermined thing to be
found under every rock.  It is something we decide. (and that doesn't
necessarily mean by votes and agreements.  or force)  There are no
black and whites.
(p.s.  you should adopt what's on your plate before you go asking for
more.  Empty out the adoption centers.)

arf		  In this case, these families were prevented by the
arf    court from averting loss of life.  Further, Baby Doe is not an
arf    isolated case.
Looks like some real live people off the net say that letting the
child die if it is defective is ok.

arf    This practice is a natural and inevitable result of the acceptance
arf    of abortion on demand.  Note that the attitude also extends in the
arf    other direction, to the aged.  Recall Gov. Lamm's remarks about the
arf    "duty" of the old folks to hurry up and die.  (We notice he isn't
arf    doing his part...guess he thinks he's not old enough.)
arf    Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois
Wasn't there an awful lot of clamour against his statement?  Where were
the hordes of people defending his statement?  I don't think that the
two situations are comparable.

Brian Peterson  {ucbvax, ihnp4, }  !tektronix!shark!brianp

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (08/24/84)

Sorry folks, but Baby Doe is still alive, with all attending handicaps.
T. C. Wheeler

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (08/28/84)

> Sorry folks, but Baby Doe is still alive, with all attending handicaps.
> T. C. Wheeler

Indiana, T. C.  Dead over a year ago.
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage forever: for they
are the rejoicing of my heart.
					Psalm 119:111