[net.abortion] Illegality won't stop it

Regardless as to whether or not you think abortion is MORALLY wrong,
isn't it obvious that even with very strict laws SOME people will get
abortions anyway?  Wouldn't it be better to have SAFE (to the mother)
above ground abortion clinics rather then foster yet ANOTHER underground
ILLEGAL activity?  I think there is enough self indulgent GUILT in this
world without catering to countless finger pointers championing some
cause that as far as I am concerned is none of their business.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (10/04/84)

> Keith Doyle
> Regardless as to whether or not you think abortion is MORALLY wrong,
> isn't it obvious that even with very strict laws SOME people will get
> abortions anyway?  Wouldn't it be better to have SAFE (to the mother)
> above ground abortion clinics rather then foster yet ANOTHER underground
> ILLEGAL activity?

Begs the question of safety (to the mother).  Maybe SOME will get
abortions anyway, true.  But violation of a standard in no way implies
that the standard should be thrown away.  (SOME people will always
murder someone else).  Yes, I know, I'm begging a question here, too.
The point, though, is about tossing laws because they'll be violated.
(that, in itself, is not a reason to toss them)
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein
do I delight."
				Psalm 119:35

albrecht@bsdgvax.UUCP (albrecht) (10/05/84)

[]

In article <cadovax.216> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

>Regardless as to whether or not you think abortion is MORALLY wrong,
>isn't it obvious that even with very strict laws SOME people will get
>abortions anyway?  Wouldn't it be better to have SAFE (to the mother)
>above ground abortion clinics rather then foster yet ANOTHER underground
>ILLEGAL activity?  I think there is enough self indulgent GUILT in this
>world without catering to countless finger pointers championing some
>cause that as far as I am concerned is none of their business.
>
>Keith Doyle
>{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

Now let's read it this way:

Regardless as to whether or not you think *murder* is MORALLY wrong,
isn't it obvious that even with very strict laws SOME people will *still commit
murder* anyway?  Wouldn't it be better to have SAFE (to the *murderer*)
above ground *murder* clinics rather then foster yet ANOTHER underground
ILLEGAL activity?  I think there is enough self indulgent GUILT in this
world without catering to countless finger pointers championing some
cause that as far as I am concerned is none of their business.

Makes about the same amount of sense to me!

--
	Tom Albrecht		Burroughs Corp.
				SDG/Devon

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (10/08/84)

**

	There is an unchallanged assumption that laws against
murder prevent murder.  That is unsupportable.  They provide
a principled way of getting revenge against murders.   I have met
several members of Neustra Famila.  Entry to the club requires
that an entrent murder someone.  They did not care one bit about
any laws.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

Do you think people have the right to cut of their own arm? (never mind
how stupid it might be).  I do.  You guessed it, I'm PRO-CHOICE.  If
you don't want to, THAT'S FINE.  But you have no more right to force other
people not to than you have to force people to subscribe to certain religions
or believe that the earth is flat, or that U.F.O.'s exist etc..  A foetus
is PART OF THE MOTHER and I believe it is her choice how she should deal
with it.  However you don't have to agree with me.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

P.S.  Your perfectly welcome to use me as a bad example as long as you don't
      misrepresent me.  Note above opinions are not associated with my employer.

andrews@uiucdcs.UUCP (10/24/84)

But do they have the right to cut someone else's arm?
This is the question.  It does not really matter how
many murders are prevented by the laws against them,
they should still be illegal.  Or are you saying we should
legalize murder as well, since, as you stated, those
who joined your "club" did not care about the law?

				Brad