[net.abortion] P. Torek on US law and Chuck Densinger

twiss@stolaf.UUCP (Thomas S. Twiss) (11/22/84)

>From ihnp4!wucs!esk Mon Nov 19 15:39:21 1984
>Subject: another semi-comprehensive reply
>Newsgroups: net.abortion
>Date: Mon, 19-Nov-84 15:39:21 CST
>

>From: cdshaw@watmath.UUCP (Chris Shaw)
>> Laws against things like murder, however, are **NOT LAWS ABOUT MORAL
>> ISSUES**.
>
>Two words:  Bull.  Shit.
>

>--The THIRD side,
>Paul V. Torek, ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047

	Well, Paul, I'm glad to see that after reading Shaw's reasoning
for positing that US law is not moral law you are able to respond with
such a profound, carefully thought-out, clever statement as that.
Congratulations on such a fine job of reasoning.

	The truth of the matter is, that if you ever read any Locke,
Jefferson, Hamilton, etc., you will find that US law is based on
rational self interest, all morality aside!!!  I know that's tough to
swallow, but if you don't beleive me, I refer you to Chuck Densinger's
article.  Speaking of whom: you have badly misinterpreted his arguments
and have taken them out of context.  But I will let Chuck fight his own
battles when he gets back from Thanksgiving break (in about 4 days).

--

Tom Twiss @ St. Olaf College
{decvax,ihnp4}!stolaf!twiss

"If the Paradox and the Reason come together in a mutual understanding
of their unlikeliness their encounter will be happy..."

						-Soren Kierkegaard