[net.abortion] Abortion Bull Barf

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (12/08/84)

Let's stop for a minute and look at what some of the arguments in this
group are getting down to.

First, there is the group that is trying to define when life starts.
Well, in my opinion, life is not starting now.  It was started a long time
ago and is a continuous process.  Life only ends.  For the Creationists,
life started with Adam and Eve.  For the Evolutionists, life started
in the primordeal mud.  For the the Dreamers, life was brought to this
planet from the stars by a passing Galactic expedition.  Notwithstanding
the method, life is here.  For life to sustain, there must be life.
Whether life is regenerated by the division of one cell (an amoeba) or
is begun by the joining of a sperm and a cell, there must be life
for it to begin.  Dead cells do not divide.  Dead sperm do not start
the process.  Dead ovum do not produce life.  Therefore, in my
personal opinion, life does not start.  It is already in progress.
Life can only die, cease, or quit.  Thus, all of these arguments about
when life begins are a bunch of Bull Barf.  If you want to get into
arguments about the beginings of life, try net.origins or religion.
I'm sure you folks can get a healthy quarrel going over there.

One of the next most common arguments I see here is the one in which
some numbskull says that women who are going to graduate school should
have the right to an abortion because their education might be interupted
or some other such nonsense.  Again Bull Barf.  This argument is the
height of conceit. The argument is that "What if she has an accident?"
Well, so what, it's not the end of the world or her education.  I could
ask "What if a man has a heart attack?"  His education can be interupted
too, but it's not the end of the world.  Even a better example, what if
the person broke their neck in a diving accident and was laid up for
several months?  Now, before you start with the "Oh, but she has to
take care of the baby and the neck will get better" baloney, the point
is that both "accidents" are preventabl.  And to those who are so
"active"would you play with a loaded gun?  I've got nothing
against activity, it's just that the activity is loaded with a certain
amount of responsibility.  Surely by the time one has reached the
college level, they should have gained some degree of realization
of their responsibilities in this world.  For these people to argue
that abortion is just another method of birth control so their
lives won't be inconvienienced is more Bull Barf.

As for the argument that some children will have a rough time of it
if they aren't aborted, Bull Barf. You can't solve the problems of
poverty, child abuse, retardation, or a host of other problems by
simply aborting every child that might fall into one of these
problem areas.  What is the next step?  Euthanasia for the old,
sick, and infirm?  The elimination of poverty by executio?  A
check of everyones genes to see that they do not have a genetic
problem they could pass on, and if they do, mandatory sterilization?
This type of argument comes dangerously close to what certain
Doctors working under the Nazi banner were saying only 40 years
ago.  I find it strange indeed that certain of the folk on this
net who argue so vehemently in the liberal tone would put up
with such an argument.

Then there is the group who don't really have anything to say to
support their claims other than to copy great reams of their
adveraries articles and then interpose an occasional "So what."
This is no way to argue folks.  To me, it only shows a lack of
understanding of what the article was all about in the first place.
Any two-year old can say "So what?".  Show a little more respect for the
other person's opinion at least.

Then there are the types who keep saying that a fetus at 8 or 10
weeks is nothing more than a lizard like lump.  Wrong, "V the
Series" breath.  What it looks like has nothing to do with what it
is in reality.  It is a human being.  It has life (see first paragraph).
It will never turn into a lizard (notwithstanding Elizabeth and her
transformation).  Go back to the books and study the pictures one
more time.  Or better yet, get permmission to view the remains
coming out of an abortion clinic.  You can't keep hiding from
reality by continually repeating the old cliches.  Be an eyewitness,
it might raise your eyebrows a little.

Now, before you get out your gas cans, pay attention.  I am not
fully against all abortions.  I am against the thousands of abortions
performed every year simply for convienience.  I am against abortions
which are performed just so the abortionee will not have to change
their lifestyle.  I am against the notion that abortion is a way
to combat life's problems.  I am against the hedonistic attitude
that some of you folk are espousing.  This is not an all or nothing
argument.  I have a middle ground and I believe that most of the
other people on the pro-life side of the fence have one too.  It
seems that the pro-choice arguments only favor one road, free
abortions for any reason.  Bull Barf.  As for those who are still
arguing that a fetus is a parasite, get off it!  Those have
been some of the stupidest arguments I have ever read.  Go read
up on parasites before you come back with any more of that Bull Barf.

Well, get out the gas cans, I'm waiting.  And, you can leave that
Bull Barf about right-wing=pro-choice stuff in the keyboard.  I
know an equal number of left and right wingers on both sides of
the fence.  Go ahead, make my day.
T. C. Wheeler

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (12/08/84)

T. C. Wheeler writes:

>Now, before you get out your gas cans, pay attention.  I am not
>fully against all abortions.  I am against the thousands of abortions
>performed every year simply for convienience.  I am against abortions
>which are performed just so the abortionee will not have to change
>their lifestyle.

Before I respond, can you please be a little more specific.
You say that you do not oppose all abortions.  You list those
that you oppose.  Can you please list those abortions that you favor?
--

Yosi Hoshen, Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho