[net.abortion] Morality and Democracy

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/08/84)

Churchill said, "Democracy is the worst system.... except for all the other
systems."

Boy was he right!  Some of you seem to be assuming that the democratic
principle should be absolute.  I would rather think that whenever we can
get away with NOT subjecting something to any principle of rule by others
we should jump at the chance.   Democracy should not mean "51% of the population
may repress 49%."  It should mean that they can do this only when no other
decision making process will work.

You need not be anarchist to be pro-choice as is claimed.  You must simply
believe that other people should not interfere in your life unless there
is no alternative whatsoever.   If 51% of the population in a town is Moonie,
should the law make us all moonies?

Abortion laws are enforced morality.  They differ strongly from murder laws
in that quite often the murderer will support the murder laws.  Murder laws
don't require this 51% repressing 49% - everybody seems to want them,
and everybody knows why they want them - for personal protection and the keeping
of the peace.   If you can't see a difference you're too tied up in absolutes.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (12/10/84)

> Abortion laws are enforced morality.  They differ strongly from murder laws
> in that quite often the murderer will support the murder laws.  Murder laws
> don't require this 51% repressing 49% - everybody seems to want them,
> and everybody knows why they want them - for personal protection and the
> keeping of the peace.

Does this mean that if 51% of the population of Mississippi in 1860 favored
slavery that it should have been allowed to continue?
    "Anti-slavery laws are enforced morality ..."

>If you can't see a difference you're too tied up in absolutes.

With some issues, there is no moral alternative but to take an absolute
stand.  Many people believe that abortion is (morally) on par with slavery,
or worse.  They feel a moral obligation to be Abraham Lincoln's with
respect to the abortion issue.

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.

johnston@spp1.UUCP (12/10/84)

> Abortion laws are enforced morality.  They differ strongly from murder laws
> in that quite often the murderer will support the murder laws.  Murder laws
> don't require this 51% repressing 49% - everybody seems to want them,
> and everybody knows why they want them - for personal protection and the keeping
> of the peace.   If you can't see a difference you're too tied up in absolutes.
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I  agree with one point. People do want murder laws for the reasons you
stated -personal protection and the keeping of the peace. Of course a lot
depends on your polling sample and whether you've asked the group most
likely to lose.

			Mike Johnston

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/12/84)

People who equate the morality of slavery with the morality of abortion
are missing one important fact.  With slavery, as with murder and other
crimes, there is a victim who jumps up and says, "I don't want this done
to me."  A fetus isn't sentient and can no more jump up and complain than
a cow can.

If you want to argue about whether the fetus is sentient, that's fine,
but there is a major difference here, in that nobody can deny the presence
of the complaint with slavery, and nobody can even show evidence for
the complaint with abortion.  (And before you post an article claiming
that the fetus feels pain, let me remind you that what we are talking about
is sentient thought, not pain detection.)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (12/12/84)

>Brad Tempelton:
>People who equate the morality of slavery with the morality of abortion
>are missing one important fact.  With slavery, as with murder and other
>crimes, there is a victim who jumps up and says, "I don't want this done
>to me."  A fetus isn't sentient and can no more jump up and complain than
>a cow can.

A slave who resisted slavery in the South was usually killed.  The fact
that someone can complain doesn't mean that their rights are recognised.
The slaves had to have advocates who were not slaves.

>If you want to argue about whether the fetus is sentient, that's fine,
>but there is a major difference here, in that nobody can deny the presence
>of the complaint with slavery, and nobody can even show evidence for
>the complaint with abortion.  (And before you post an article claiming
>that the fetus feels pain, let me remind you that what we are talking about
>is sentient thought, not pain detection.)

The ability to complain is not equivalent with sentient thought.  Even
if it were it is not a good criterion where the right to life is concerned.
One-year-olds can't complain either, but that doesn't make it OK to
kill them (I hope).

--

Paul Dubuc	cbscc!pmd

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (12/12/84)

Steve Vegdahl =<
>Does this mean that if 51% of the population of Mississippi in 1860 favored
>slavery that it should have been allowed to continue?
>    "Anti-slavery laws are enforced morality ..."
>
>>If you can't see a difference you're too tied up in absolutes.
>
>With some issues, there is no moral alternative but to take an absolute
>stand.  Many people believe that abortion is (morally) on par with slavery,
>or worse.  They feel a moral obligation to be Abraham Lincoln's with
>respect to the abortion issue.

I consider the pro-lifer's demand that women carry their pregnancies
against their will, as an attempt to enslave women.  A slave has no right
to control his/her body. But this is exactly the program that pro-lifers'
want to impose on women.  They want do deny women the right to
control their bodies.

Oh, but "pro-lifers" say: "We are concerned with the right of the unborn".
If you are so concerned with the lifes of the fetuses, then why don't you
work on an artificial techniques to preserve the life of the fetus outside
the womens' womb. I think that such approach would be more productive
than enslaving women.
--

Yosi Hoshen, Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho

cdshaw@watmath.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (12/13/84)

> > Abortion laws are enforced morality.  They differ strongly from murder laws
> > in that quite often the murderer will support the murder laws.  Murder laws
> > don't require this 51% repressing 49% - everybody seems to want them,
> > and everybody knows why they want them - for personal protection and the
> > keeping of the peace.
>
> Does this mean that if 51% of the population of Mississippi in 1860 favored
> slavery that it should have been allowed to continue?
>     "Anti-slavery laws are enforced morality ..."
>
> >If you can't see a difference you're too tied up in absolutes.
>
> With some issues, there is no moral alternative but to take an absolute
> stand.  Many people believe that abortion is (morally) on par with slavery,
> or worse.  They feel a moral obligation to be Abraham Lincoln's with
> respect to the abortion issue.
>
> 		Steve Vegdahl

Interesting, in fact, it made me think for quite a while before I saw a way
out of this one!! (Of course, it may not work...)

The prime difference I see between abortion & slavery as issues in which
the majority-rule yardstick can be twisted into a pretzel is the issue
which has a pro-choicer saying "but it's obvious that slavery is WRONG
(necessarily), while abortion isn't".

It's called coercion. Slavery is the coercion of a person to perform
tasks against his/her will.

A law that requires a woman to bear (against her will) a child that she
is pregnant with is coercion, and is therefore wrong.
As is traditional slavery, which allows people to require another
person to do work for them for no compensation.

				I remain
				CD Shaw

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (12/18/84)

>>> Abortion laws are enforced morality ...

>> Does this mean that if 51% of the population of Mississippi in 1860 favored
>> slavery that it should have been allowed to continue?
>>     "Anti-slavery laws are enforced morality ..."

> The prime difference I see between abortion & slavery ...

I did not mean to start a flurry of messages about slavery in net.abortion,
which I apparently did.  Rather, I was attempting to raise a meta-issue.
I picked slavery "out of the hat" as an example of something that we all
agree (we do, don't we?) is "obviously immoral", but that at one time in
parts of our country was an accepted practice.  People vehemently argued
for it to be continuted.

Given that X (e.g., slavery, murder) is immoral, statements
such as "anti-X laws are enforced morality" are not persuasive arguments
against anti-X laws.  To a person who believes that abortion is on par with
slavery, murder, etc., "abortion laws are enforced morality" makes about
as much sense as "anti-slavery (or anti-murder, or pick your favorite immoral
activity...) laws are enforced morality".

What I am suggesting to people with pro-choice leanings is that the next
time you post an argument about abortion, try substituting something like
"slavery" into your argument in place of "abortion".  If the modified
argument makes no sense, then consider not posting it.

I am sure that an analagous filter can be proposed for "pro-life" postings.
If such filters are applied, we can cut down on the high percentage of
messages in this newsgroup that beg one question or another.

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (12/20/84)

Steve Vegdahl writes:
> What I am suggesting to people with pro-choice leanings is that the next
> time you post an argument about abortion, try substituting something like
> "slavery" into your argument in place of "abortion".  If the modified
> argument makes no sense, then consider not posting it.

This is ridiculous.  How can pro-choicers argue that abortion is NOT immoral
if we can only use arguements which still make sense when we substitute
something which we all agree is immoral (slavery) for abortion.  Could you
argue that whistling in public should be allowed if you had to use
arguements which still made sense when they were about mass murder?

The arguement that anti-abortion laws are enforced morality means that
anti-abortionists are attempting to enforce THEIR view of what is moral
on everyone else, NOT that the laws simply enforce some absolute moral
standard.

May I suggest, Steve, that you take the advice you give in the last line
of the above quote.

Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

norm@ariel.UUCP (N.ANDREWS) (12/20/84)

>Rather, I was attempting to raise a meta-issue.
>I picked slavery "out of the hat" as an example of something
>that we all agree (we do, don't we?) is "obviously immoral", but that
>at one time in parts of our country was an accepted practice.
>People vehemently argued for it to be continued.
>		Steve Vegdahl
>		Computer Research Lab.
>		Tektronix, Inc.
>		Beaverton, Oregon
The ethics of abortion and the ethics of slavery are NOT obvious to everyone.
That's why there was once such strife over the slavery issue, and why this
newsgroup exists today.  However, I think the slavery issue is a good issue
to analyze, since the analysis can shed some light on the abortion issue.
Suppose that either:
1.) Octopus-like intelligent creatures, masters of interstellar travel
visited earth, coming in peace, or
2.)  A laboratory, investigating the ability of chimps to use language, came
across an abnormally intelligent chimp, a chimp-genius that became fluent in
American sign language, and
Supose either one of these creatures was wantonly killed (or enslaved, tortured
or otherwise abused.)  In the case of such treatment, say a killing, should the
perpetrator of the killing be tried for the murder of a "person"?  If so, why?
In the case of the creature's "enslavement", should the perpetrator of the
enslavement be tried for the enslavement of a "person"?  If so, why?
If not, why not?  And, more generally, is it ever really in anyone's long-range
self-interest to attempt to achieve values through slavery or murder?
If some behavior generally considered "moral" is not in one's long-range self-
interest, why should anyone care, in that respect, to be "moral"?  Is one's
long-range self -interest ever immoral?
Are "pro-lifers" able to answer these questions rationally?
Are pro-choicers able to find a rational basis for individual rights and the
rule of objective laws?
I'll tune in next week to find out...
                                                Norm Andrews
                                                AT&T Information Systems
                                                HO1C325
                                                Crawfords Corner Road
                                                Holmdel, New Jersey 07733
                                                vax135!ariel!norm
                                                (201) 834-3685

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/20/84)

The whole point here is that we in the pro-choice camp want a society with
as little enforced morality as possible.  In general the rule is, "The more
subjective the morality, the less there should be a law."

Abortion is very clearly a matter of much more subjective morality than
slavery.  And that's the difference, plain and simple.

How do we define objective morality?  It's tough, but I think we must
start from a passive state - which is to say we allow things that don't
infringe on the desires of others, and only disallow things when there
is a very clear large (like >90%) majority that want it.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (12/20/84)

>The whole point here is that we in the pro-choice camp want a society with
>as little enforced morality as possible.  In general the rule is, "The more
>subjective the morality, the less there should be a law."

>Abortion is very clearly a matter of much more subjective morality than
>slavery.  And that's the difference, plain and simple.

>How do we define objective morality?  It's tough, but I think we must
>start from a passive state - which is to say we allow things that don't
>infringe on the desires of others, and only disallow things when there
>is a very clear large (like >90%) majority that want it.

Then by your standards it WAS wrong to ban slavery in the U.S.  I doubt
that 90% were opposed to it then; there was probably only a small minority
who really wanted it banned.

To discuss the banning of slavery by today's moral standards is missing the
whole point.  Slavery wasn't banned by our standard of morality.  Rather
the banning of slavery seems to have contributed greatly to our present
standard against it.  I would venture to say that slavery was very much
a matter of "subjective morality" in the antebellum South.  Slaves were
definitely viewed as non-persons then.

--

Paul Dubuc	cbscc!pmd

dsc@lzpfc.UUCP (12/20/84)

> Abortion is very clearly a matter of much more subjective morality than
> slavery.  And that's the difference, plain and simple.
>
> How do we define objective morality?  It's tough, but I think we must
> start from a passive state - which is to say we allow things that don't
> infringe on the desires of others, and only disallow things when there
> is a very clear large (like >90%) majority that want it.
> --
> Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

Well Brad, what you seem to want is morality by democracy, so that
if we all got together and decided *whatever* and we all agreed (90 %),
it would be moral.

In ancient societies (egyptian and polynesian)
incest (marrying of sisters to brothers) and
consequently killing deformed infants was the way of life.
Other societies burnt their first-born-sons alive.
Since all the members of those societies agreed to *whatever*,
you're moral codes would say that those where moral acts.

A differing view is that religion and/or  experience
shows us what is moral.  Slavery was always immoral,
it did not become immoral when society decided to admit it
as immoral.

					Dave Chechik
					(houxq or pegasus)!lzpfc!dsc
					AT&T Information Systems Labs
					Lincroft, NJ

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/21/84)

Slavery is a tough case, Paul writes, because back in the 19th century
he thinks >90% of the population wanted it.  Odd that my country saw
fit to ban it at the time.  But all that aside, you seem to be arguing
the pro-choice viewpoint - that society should not infringe on the
rights of the individual even when the majority thinks it should be done.

You're the one who says we can make a law of physical force based on
majority rule, not I.

Indeed it's a tough case.  You would advocate that those few people
who are right and moral should dictate the ways of the vast majority.
In the case of slavery, we see in hindsight that they were right.
But are you prepared to advocate this type of rule in all cases just
because it is right some of the time?   Sorry to bring him into this, but
old Adolf made the right decisions sometimes - he just really blew it
in the balance.   Your advocacy of rule by the 10% "because they are right"
is sure to lead to disaster in the long run.  So we can't apply it to
abortion.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (12/21/84)

> This is ridiculous.  How can pro-choicers argue that abortion is NOT immoral
> if we can only use arguements which still make sense when we substitute
> something which we all agree is immoral (slavery) for abortion.

	I don't agree that  slavery is immoral.   Even if I
did, why should immorality or lack thereof influcence
how I act about anything?   I am a pro-choicer, why should
I argue that abortion is not immoral?    I do not believe
that that those categories are useful ones.    According
to the Shi'ite Muslims, great Imem like Khomeni (of Iran,
sp?), are divinely inspired and can make no moral error.

Many people throughout history have claimed have recieved rules
from "god" that supercede the rules that were popular
at the time.  God gave Moses the ten commandments.  Joesph
Smith heard from god indirectly through the Angel Moroni.
Christ has a special relationship with god.   Mohammad was
very close to god and god spoke through him.    The first
Shaw of Iran,  Isma'il said: "God and the Immaculate Imams
are with me.  ... if the people utter one word of protest
I will draw the sword and leave not one of the alive."

	It is easy to make moral judgements, after all,
"everyone knows what is right and what is wrong."   Everyone
knows something different.   There are so many gods
and so many systems of morality to choose from that
anything can be justified or prohibited on the grounds
of morality.   For instance, according to much
Christan theology, the decendents of Ham had
black skin, a mark, because Ham did something wicked.
This justified the degradation and slavery of black
people in Christian society until recent times.  It is
historically a bit weird for a Christian to say that
slavery is obviously immoral.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (12/21/84)

Brad:	<- my bug killer

Please forgive me, but I'm terribly confused. First, you say:

> > >How do we define objective morality?  It's tough, but I think we must
> > >start from a passive state - which is to say we allow things that don't
> > >infringe on the desires of others, and only disallow things when there
> > >is a very clear large (like >90%) majority that want it.

To which Paul Dubuc replied:

> >Then by your standards it WAS wrong to ban slavery in the U.S.  I doubt
> >that 90% were opposed to it then; there was probably only a small minority
> >who really wanted it banned.

To which you then replied:

>Slavery is a tough case, Paul writes, because back in the 19th century
>he thinks >90% of the population wanted it.

That's not what he said at all! I mean, even I can see this (he said
self-deprecatingly :-). Did you even read his article?

						Ed Sheppard
						Bell Communications Research

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (01/01/85)

> > What I am suggesting to people with pro-choice leanings is that the next
> > time you post an argument about abortion, try substituting something like
> > "slavery" into your argument in place of "abortion".  If the modified
> > argument makes no sense, then consider not posting it.
>
> This is ridiculous.  How can pro-choicers argue that abortion is NOT immoral
> if we can only use arguements which still make sense when we substitute
> something which we all agree is immoral (slavery) for abortion.  Could you
> argue that whistling in public should be allowed if you had to use
> arguements which still made sense when they were about mass murder?

I do not discourage the posting of arguments that abortion is (or is not)
immoral.  What I discourage is the posting of arguments that beg the
question of whether a fetus is human, has rights, etc.  Arguments about
these issues (of which there have been many in this newsgroup, and
appropriately so) are at a level for which the slavery analogy does not
apply.  Whether a slave is a human with rights does not depend on whether
a fetus' heart is beating at 5 weeks, etc.

As an example of an argument that DOES beg the question, consider:

> The arguement that anti-abortion laws are enforced morality means that
> anti-abortionists are attempting to enforce THEIR view of what is moral
> on everyone else, NOT that the laws simply enforce some absolute moral
> standard.

I understand the argument; it makes perfect sense if you assume that
the unborn have no right to live.  But, imagine a slave-owner in the
1850's saying an analagous thing about slavery.  His argument would be
that it is an infringement on his rights to be not allowed to own slaves.
He begs the question of whether a slave has rights.  Similarly, the
argument in the above paragraph begs the question of whether the unborn
have rights.  It makes little sense unless one assumes that the unborn
do not have the right to live.

I never meant to raise slavery as an issue here.  What I want to raise
is the issue of the large number of postings of late that implicitly
start with the assumption that the unborn do (or do not) have the right
to live, and then go on to discuss how inflexible and immoral people are
who believe the other.

			Steve Vegdahl