[net.abortion] A simple question

ark@rabbit.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (10/13/84)

The view that abortion is murder follows logically from the
assumption that a fetus is a human being (an assumption I do
not happen to hold).  Once you make that assumption, it seems
that you are forced to the conclusion that abortion should
not be permitted under any circumstances, with a possible
exception for the case where both mother and baby will surely
die if the pregnancy is continued to term.

Since I believe that the essence of humanity is rational
consciousness, and everything we know about consciousness
indicates that it is a function of the brain, I am forced
to conclude that until it develops a brain capable of
sustaining consciousness, a fetus is not a human being,
and a pregnancy may be terminated before that point.
(when that point might be is an interesting medical
question, but is not relevant to the question I am about to ask)

I am convinced that my view also follows consistantly
from my assumptions, and am aware (of course) that
others do not share these assumptions.

There seem to be a significant number of people who
hold a third view.  I have never seen the reasoning behind
this view articulated clearly, but its conclusion is
that abortion should be prohibited except in cases of
rape or incest.

Now, I have trouble finding a set of assumptions from
which this conclusion can be drawn.  It seems to me
that if a fetus is a human being, than abortion is murder
and is not to be tolerated under any circumstances.  If
it is not human, than there is no justification for
restricting abortion on demand.

Can someone who holds this third view enlighten me
(by mail please) on its philosophical basis?

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (12/23/84)

Some people believe abortion is murder.  Others do not.
Some of those that do so think that abortion should
be illegal, for the same reasons that murder is illegal,
even though they know many people disagree with them.

Some people believe killing animals for food is murder.
Others do not.  Some of those that do so think that
killing animals for food should be illegal, for the same
reasons that murder is illegal, even though they know
many people disagree with them.

Can someone please explain to me why abortion should
have a different legal status than killing animals?

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (01/04/85)

> Some people believe abortion is murder.  Others do not.
> Some of those that do so think that abortion should
> be illegal, for the same reasons that murder is illegal,
> even though they know many people disagree with them.
>
> Some people believe killing animals for food is murder.
> Others do not.  Some of those that do so think that
> killing animals for food should be illegal, for the same
> reasons that murder is illegal, even though they know
> many people disagree with them.
>
> Can someone please explain to me why abortion should
> have a different legal status than killing animals?

Certainly.  The fetus is not an animal.  (If you really think
that it is a simple question, that is the simple answer you
deserve.)

The problem with analogies such as the above is that they
can work both ways.  E.g., start out a paragraph with the
above paradigm, "Some people believe killing convicted felons
is murder..."  So why should capital punishment have a
different legal status than abortion?  Answer: Because they
are different actions.

Which brings up another problem with analogies.  Some people
would say, yes, killing fetuses and killing animals and killing
felons should all have the same legal status; they should all
be illegal.

Gary Samuelson
ittvax!bunker!garys

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (01/04/85)

> = Gary Samuelson
>> = me

>> Some people believe abortion is murder.  Others do not.
>> Some of those that do so think that abortion should
>> be illegal, for the same reasons that murder is illegal,
>> even though they know many people disagree with them.
>>
>> Some people believe killing animals for food is murder.
>> Others do not.  Some of those that do so think that
>> killing animals for food should be illegal, for the same
>> reasons that murder is illegal, even though they know
>> many people disagree with them.
>>
>> Can someone please explain to me why abortion should
>> have a different legal status than killing animals?
>
>Certainly.  The fetus is not an animal.  (If you really think
>that it is a simple question, that is the simple answer you
>deserve.)
>
>The problem with analogies such as the above is that they
>can work both ways.  E.g., start out a paragraph with the
>above paradigm, "Some people believe killing convicted felons
>is murder..."  So why should capital punishment have a
>different legal status than abortion?  Answer: Because they
>are different actions.
>
>Which brings up another problem with analogies.  Some people
>would say, yes, killing fetuses and killing animals and killing
>felons should all have the same legal status; they should all
>be illegal.

Simple questions are often the hardest to answer, as you have just
demonstrated, which is why they are interesting to ask.

The trouble with the first paragraph of your answer is that it is
merely your own opinion.  Just as some people believe there is no
real difference between humans before and after birth, others
believe there is no real difference between humans and other animals.

Your justification for treating abortion and capital punishment
differently doesn't mean much unless you tell me just what
different legal status should be applied to capital punishment
and abortion, and why.

In fact, I find your third paragraph the most convincing of all,
except for the last five words.  In other words, I see no reason
for any different legal treatment of killing animals, criminals,
or fetuses.  But since there is far from universal agreement
on any of these issues, I conclude they should all be legal.

Since I know several people who think abortion should be illegal
yet eat meat, I was wondering how they justified it.  I am still
wondering.

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (01/07/85)

> > = Gary Samuelson
> >>, > = Andrew Koenig

> >> Can someone please explain to me why abortion should
> >> have a different legal status than killing animals?

> >Certainly.  The fetus is not an animal.  (If you really think
> >that it is a simple question, that is the simple answer you
> >deserve.)

> The trouble with the [above] answer is that it is
> merely your own opinion.  Just as some people believe there is no
> real difference between humans before and after birth, others
> believe there is no real difference between humans and other animals.

What do you mean by "real difference"?  In what way are the obvious
physical differences and (perhaps less obvious) mental differences
between humans and, for example, a snake, unreal?

> Your justification for treating abortion and capital punishment
> differently doesn't mean much unless you tell me just what
> different legal status should be applied to capital punishment
> and abortion, and why.

Abortion is the premature termination of a pregnancy, either resulting
in, or caused by, the death of that fetus.  Spontaneous abortion
is abortion caused by no deliberate act.  Therapeutic abortion,
which is what we are discussing here, is either the killing of
a fetus, which results the fetus being expelled, or the forcible
removal of the fetus, which results in the death of the fetus.

Capital punishment is the slaying of a person convicted of a
sufficiently heinous crime that the criminal has been judged to
have forfeited the right to life.

Unless you can explain what crime the fetus has committed, I fail
to see any similarity between the two.

> >Which brings up another problem with analogies.  Some people
> >would say, yes, killing fetuses and killing animals and killing
> >felons should all have the same legal status; they should all
> >be illegal.
>
> In fact, I find [the above] paragraph the most convincing of all,
> except for the last five words.  In other words, I see no reason
> for any different legal treatment of killing animals, criminals,
> or fetuses.  But since there is far from universal agreement
> on any of these issues, I conclude they should all be legal.

(Obviously the above paragraph wasn't convincing at all, since
its purpose was to convince you that analogies could not really
prove anything.)

I surmise, then, that you don't think anything should be illegal
unless there is universal agreement that it should be illegal;
is this correct?  Or do you mean that the consensus need only
be close to universal?

If you really require universal agreement, then I submit that
there should be no laws at all; there is no need for a law
proscribing behavior that no one finds acceptable.

If you mean that laws should be based on a suitably large majority,
then it becomes theoretically moral and a practical possibility
simply to vote the annihilation of a sufficiently detested minority.

> Since I know several people who think abortion should be illegal
> yet eat meat, I was wondering how they justified it.  I am still
> wondering.

I can respect someone who disagrees with my position.  I find it
difficult to respect someone who seems to pretend not to understand
it.  But maybe I did not make it as clear as I hoped.  I shall
try again.

1.  A human fetus is of the species homo sapiens.  If this is in
    dispute, examine the genetic makeup.

2.  Examining the genetic makeup will also show that an individual
    fetus has some genes in common with the mother, and some in
    common with the father.  It is therefore neither the mother
    nor the father, but a separate individual.

3.  All human individuals should have, first and foremost, the right
    to live.  Other rights are subordinate to this one.

4.  Since the fetus is a human individual, it has the right to live,
    and, unless it is endangering the mother's life, its right to
    live supercedes the mother's rights.  (And since someone will
    no doubt accuse me of inconsistency -- without knowing me, of
    course -- let me add that if I thought that someone would die
    without my help, I would feel obligated to supply such help.
    Examples of cases where I have put this principle into practice
    are none of your business, but if you insist, I will supply
    them.)

The following statements are not related to abortion, but I have to
throw them in to show that they are not:

5.  Normal human beings value human life (specifically, their own)
    more than nonhuman life.  If this is not justifiable, then it
    becomes improper for humans to kill any other living thing,
    plant or animal, to sustain their own lives.

6.  It is possible for humans to act is such a way that they forfeit
    their right to life.  (Taking someone else's life, or attempting
    to do so, are, in my opinion, examples of such action.)

Now, even if you do not agree with my position, I think you ought
to be able to understand it.

Gary Samuelson
ittvax!bunker!garys

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (01/08/85)

In article <3229@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>>The fetus is not an animal.
>
>The trouble with... your answer is that it is
>merely your own opinion.  Just as some people believe there is no
>real difference between humans before and after birth, others
>believe there is no real difference between humans and other animals.

The problem with your reply is that it is not a matter of opinion whether
the fetus is human/alive.  A 10 week old's heart beats, its brain waves,
and it does its deep knee bends each morning.  Science says this, with
its fetalscopes, EEGs, and mother's tummys.

> ...legal treatment of killing animals, criminals,
>or fetuses.  But since there is far from universal agreement
>on any of these issues, I conclude they should all be legal.

There is a legal difference between manslaughter, second degree murder,
and first degree murder.  Even though a jury may not be able to decide
which a defendant should be charged with, clearly, the murder/death was
illegal.  The judicial system is based on idea that each case is resolved
on its own merits.  You can't generalize.

>Since I know several people who think abortion should be illegal
>yet eat meat, I was wondering how they justified it.  I am still
>wondering.

Wondering about what?  Is there a question in there someplace?
I am not carrying a kitten, cow, or pig.  I am carrying a human being.
It is not customary to eat human beings.  Eating animal flesh does
not need to be justified.

	Alana Hommel
	    (for Carl Hommel)
Wife:  Oh wow!  My first posting to net.abortion!
Husband:  Just don't cross-post to net.general.