[net.misc] Weather Newsgroup

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (12/19/83)

Is there a newsgroup devoted simply to current weather reports? If not,
does anyone besides me have any interest in getting one started? I
sometimes travel, and don't always read newspapers, but I'm logged in here
pretty frequently. I would suggest that if the group gets going, the
subjects be kept to *only* a report of the weather at a location, not a
discussion of meteorology, climate preferences or discussions of how
cold/hot/wet/whatever conditions various locales are suffering under.
Net.weather.d could be used for such discussions.

Here's a sample posting to show you what I mean:

Newsgroups: Weather
Subject: Seattle/Puget Sound 12/19/83

Winter has struck the Puget Sound area today, with 1 1/2" of snow on the
ground, and forecasts calling for 3 - 4 inches by night, more on the way
throughout the week. Temperatures are in the mid 20s to low 30s. Traffic
is slow and sanding crews have been busy since before dawn. Many schools
and businesses have closed, and are advising employees and students not to
attempt travel without chains, as the roads are quite icy under the dry
snow.

--
---
Gary Benson

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (12/21/83)

The problem with a newsgroup about weather is that everybody will talk
about it but nobody will do anything about it.

	(-:  G R O A N  :-)
--
Stephen Perelgut    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto
	    Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsrgv!perelgut

rigney@uokvax.UUCP (12/28/83)

#R:tpvax:-13900:uokvax:3800004:000:320
uokvax!rigney    Dec 26 10:08:00 1983

A discussion about adding a new group should be carried out in
net.news.group.  I'm not for such a group, since the net is too
slow to make this all that useful compared to Radio.  If you're
planning to travel, blow a quarter on a copy of USA Today, which
has nation-wide weather reports.

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!rigney

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (12/30/83)

#R:tpvax:-13900:hpfcla:18500003:000:252
hpfcla!ajs    Dec 24 18:41:00 1983

>	The problem  with a newsgroup  about  weather is that  everybody
>	will talk about it but nobody will do anything about it.

I guess that explains why it never seems to matter weather or not I keep
caught up with most newsgroups.

	[-: G R O A N :-]