[net.abortion] Re**2: Perhaps my question isn't so simple

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) (01/16/85)

[]
>From: garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson)
>
> [Discussion of carnivorism deleted. -KJM]
>
>1.  To kill a human being, who has not harmed or threatened to
>    harm another human being, is immoral and should be illegal.

I agree with your principle.  I do not agree that it applies to
abortion.  To take the resources of another without her (or his)
permission is to harm her.  A fetus takes its mother's resources --
directly from her body, in fact.  A fetus unwanted by its mother,
by definition, has no permission to take her resources.  Ergo it
is doing her harm, and the above principle does not apply.

>    Various legal terms exist to describe such killings: manslaughter
>    (voluntary and involuntary), murder of various degrees,
>    negligent homicide, perhaps others.

None of which apply to abortion.  (Try self-defense, though.)

>    I am not saying that
>    every harm or threat justifies lethal force in response,
>    but I am saying that nothing but harm or threat justifies
>    a lethal response.

Harm has already been done by the time the unwanted pregnancy is
noticed, and continues to be done as it progresses.

>2.  The fact that such killing is immoral and ought to be illegal
>    is based on the humanity of the victim, not on the consciousness
>    or ability to detect pain.

To paraphrase T. C. Wheeler, bullbarf!  The idea that such killing
(note again: NOT abortion) is immoral is an *axiom*; that is, it
has no basis, because it *is* a basis.

> [Conclusion about animal killing deleted. -KJM]
>
>3.  Abortion is the killing of a human being who (generally) has
>    not harmed or threatened to harm another human being.

Wrong.  See answer to point 1 above.

>    I am
>    explicitly leaving out the case where the pregnancy is endangering
>    the mother's life; it is not generally the case.

Good; it's irrelevant, since harm to an unwilling mother occurs
regardless.

>To refute the above argument, you need to show either that something
>other than harm or threat to harm justifies the killing of a human
>being, or that pregnancy in general causes sufficient harm or
>threat of harm to justify killing of a human being,

I showed that harm occurs to the mother.  She has the right to
protect herself; to kill the one who harms her, if necessary.
"Sufficency of harm" is not required to justify any particular
level of force; the person being harmed has the right to use
such force as required for self-defense.  In this case, self-
defense means preventing the fetus from further use of her body;
with current technology, an abortion is the only available defense
for the unwillingly pregnant woman.

>or that the
>fetus is not a human being.
>
> [Discussion of animal rights vs. human rights deleted. -KJM]
>
>> Why, then, are so many people saying that abortion should be outlawed
>> because they don't like it?
>
>Another misquote.  Abortion should not be outlawed because some
>people don't like it; it should be outlawed because it is the
>destruction of an innocent human being.

The unwanted fetus is not innocent.  It was not invited, nor
was it given leave to use the resources of its mother's body.

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cats and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA  [for Arpanauts only]