[net.abortion] Discussion vs Convincing

umina@darts.DEC (01/15/85)

I'm not sure this is going out correctly, but here goes.

I do not see how you can determine that he has made up his mind and therefore
he is unconvincable and therefore he should not be permitted discourse with
the group.

The fact that his committment is apparently as strong as yours may in fact
make him as unconvincable as you are.  The fact that you will never convince
him of your point of view is not a valid disqualification from the discussion.

Discussions do not always occur between people who have not made up their
minds.  One gets the impression that you are afraid that his committment to
his beliefs is an impediment to your progress in the 'selling' of your point
of view to the audience.  So be it.  That is what dialog is all about.  I would
say that he is doing a fairly good job to get you so frustrated.

And now that I have said my two cents on that, here's how I feel on the issue:

1.	You would never convince me of your position that abortion is anything
	less than murder.

2.	Bombing abortion clinics (provided no one get hurt) is merely property
	destruction.  I wonder if Hitler had put his camps in the city if they
	would not have been bombed also.  That's why they were remote.  If on
	a jury, I would never convict an abortion clinic bomber as I feel he
	is going to the aid of the defensless.

3.	I am sure the loss we, as a society, would have been at a loss had
	you been an aborted fetus.  You are obviously intelligent, and a
	contributor, and may someday be responsible for improving the human
	condition.  One wonders just how many others, the Bachs, Eiensteins,
	etc... have not been allowed the chance to contribute, and how things
	would be today if they had

4.	This issue is somewhat like gun control.  Either you believe that
	freedom is best served by people having guns or you dont.  Abortion
	is similar.  Either you believe its murder and those who do it, or
	condone it, or allow it to happen without resisting it will answer
	for their actions or you don't. (Wonder if you believe in God ?)

Len

ssp@sun.uucp (Stephen Page) (01/15/85)

> 3.	I am sure the loss we, as a society, would have been at a loss had
> 	you been an aborted fetus.  You are obviously intelligent, and a
> 	contributor, and may someday be responsible for improving the human
> 	condition.  One wonders just how many others, the Bachs, Eiensteins,
> 	etc... have not been allowed the chance to contribute, and how things
> 	would be today if they had

	I haven't been reading this newsgroup for long, and I can't believe
that the point raised hasn't been discussed before.  But, here goes:-

	You can't talk about "What would have happened if..." because it
obviously didn't happen.  You might equally well say "If the fetus had not
been aborted the moon would be made of cheese".  Logically,
	IF p THEN q
is always true when p is false.  In this case p is "the fetuses weren't
aborted" (false) and q can be anything you want.

	OK, I had trouble with that one in my philosophy course too.  If
you can ask the question, "What would be the results if (some/many/most) of
the abortions performed each year weren't?" you should be able to answer it.
How can we answer that question with some certainty, if we're talking about
a state of affairs that doesn't exist?  Well, you could say that state of
affairs does exist, in countries or times when many abortions were prevented.
You could formulate sociological principles based on scientific study.  The
results of such research would be as controversial as the rest of this
debate.

	Another 'way' to answer the question is religion.  An omnipotent,
omniscient God can be very specific as to what happens in cases that didn't
happen.

	To sum up, I don't feel you can point the charge of preventing an
Einstein at a couple who decide to terminate pregnancy.  They killed a fetus,
that's all (a bad choice of phrase).  If you believe otherwise then I hope
you're making babies morning noon and night, in case one of them is the next
Einstein.  But then if you spent less time procreating you could be writing
the next 'Hamlet', ...

Stephen Page
			The opinions expressed are not those of my employer,
			nor are they my own.

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (01/15/85)

> 2.	Bombing abortion clinics (provided no one get hurt) is merely property
> 	destruction.  I wonder if Hitler had put his camps in the city if they
> 	would not have been bombed also.  That's why they were remote.  If on
> 	a jury, I would never convict an abortion clinic bomber as I feel he
> 	is going to the aid of the defensless.

Maybe somebody should bomb your house while nobody is home, would you feel
that it is "only property destruction"?

> Len

Richard Brower		Fortune Systems
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (01/15/85)

Len ( ..!unima) writes:
> 2.	Bombing abortion clinics (provided no one get hurt) is merely property
>       destruction.   [   ]                                        If on
> 	a jury, I would never convict an abortion clinic bomber as I feel he
> 	is going to the aid of the defensless.

    Well first of all, Lenny, you couldn't be on a jury in a case like that,
thank Ubizmo, cause they don't let people who say "I would never convict him"
before the trial on juries.  (Unless you're planning on lying under oath during
the selection.  After all, it's for a good cause.)
    Secondly, the "(provided no one get hurt)" is a nice, ungrammatical dis-
claimer, but it seems that whether or not someone gets hurt when you bomb a
building is entirely a matter of luck.  But if they take the chance and get
lucky and don't kill anyone, you think we should let these bomb-throwing
champions of the right to life back on the street.
    Personally, I find such an attitude disgusting in the extreme.  "Terrorism"
is a word about methods, not motives.  A terrorist uses violent methods to
attempt to change a society.  Civilized people abhor the initiation of
violence, even if the they share the goals of the terrorists.  Listen, Lenny:
it's not too late;  psychological counseling CAN help.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (01/16/85)

>3.	I am sure the loss we, as a society, would have been at a loss had
	>you been an aborted fetus.  You are obviously intelligent, and a
	>contributor, and may someday be responsible for improving the human
	>condition.  One wonders just how many others, the Bachs, Eiensteins,
	>etc.... have not been allowed the chance to contribute, and how things
	>would be today if they had

     As a pro-lifer, I feel this argument does much harm and no good to the
     pro-life movement. Meaningless speculation about what type of person
     might have been born is just that, meaningless. There are many other
     points that a pro-lifer can use to support his/her position (I won't
     go into the specifics because that's not the point of this posting).
     The pro-choice movement, if any of them would choose to argue this point,
     could point out the possibility of abortions preventing untold numbers
     of Hitlers and various other abominable people from perpetrating untold
     horrors upon the people of this world.
                                        Terry Bermes

act@pur-phy.UUCP (Alex C. Tselis) (01/17/85)

In article <217@decwrl.UUCP> umina@darts.DEC writes:

>3.	I am sure the loss we, as a society, would have been at a loss had
>	you been an aborted fetus.  You are obviously intelligent, and a
>	contributor, and may someday be responsible for improving the human
>	condition.  One wonders just how many others, the Bachs, Eiensteins,
>	etc... have not been allowed the chance to contribute, and how things
>	would be today if they had

This argument is not very good.  One can just as well ask how many Hitlers,
Stalins, Pol Pots and so forth we have lost through abortions, and how things
would have been today if they had lived to make *their* "contributions".

daf@ccice6.UUCP (David Fader) (01/17/85)

> > 2.  Bombing abortion clinics (provided no one get hurt) is merely property
> >     destruction.  I wonder if Hitler had put his camps in the city if they
> >     would not have been bombed also.  That's why they were remote.  If on
> >     a jury, I would never convict an abortion clinic bomber as I feel he
> >     is going to the aid of the defensless.
>
> Maybe somebody should bomb your house while nobody is home, would you feel
> that it is "only property destruction"?

Your analogy is incorrect. The abortion clinic is the property of
rational thinking people.
--
The Last Surviving Bronto

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (01/18/85)

In article <mhuxt.523> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>    Personally, I find such an attitude disgusting in the extreme.  "Terrorism"
>is a word about methods, not motives.  A terrorist uses violent methods to
>attempt to change a society.  Civilized people abhor the initiation of
>violence, even if the they share the goals of the terrorists.  Listen, Lenny:
>it's not too late;  psychological counseling CAN help.
>--
>Jeff Sonntag
>ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
>    "Aye, Captain, and at warp 11 we're going nowhere mighty fast!"

	Are you implying "civilized people" run abortion clinics.  Any
society that systemmatically destroys part of its population under the
guise of "reproductive freedom" can hardly be called civilized.  Civilized
people don't kill unborn children.  All the psychological counseling in the
world can't help "terrorists" who kill children in their mother's womb.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

cjk@ccice2.UUCP (Chris Kreilick) (01/20/85)

> 2.  Bombing abortion clinics (provided no one get hurt) is merely property
>     destruction.  I wonder if Hitler had put his camps in the city if they
>     would not have been bombed also.  That's why they were remote.  If on
>     a jury, I would never convict an abortion clinic bomber as I feel he
>     is going to the aid of the defensless.

Well.

I think if Hitler had placed bombs inside of Jewish babies
he wouldn't have had to worry about his camps being bombed.
If however, he was brought to trial, he would probably have
to be found guilty for siring people like you.

--
DoomLord

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/22/85)

> 	Are you implying "civilized people" run abortion clinics.  Any
> society that systemmatically destroys part of its population under the
> guise of "reproductive freedom" can hardly be called civilized.  Civilized
> people don't kill unborn children.  All the psychological counseling in the
> world can't help "terrorists" who kill children in their mother's womb.
> Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
> 			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

"Civilized" people DO use manipulative rhetoric and appeals to emotionalism
in an effort to get their point across, rather than resorting to the
UNcivilized tactic of stating facts and making reasoned valid argumentative
points.  Here's to civilization!
--
"Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
						Rich Rosen   pyuxd!rlr

cjk@ccice6.UUCP (Chris Kreilick) (01/25/85)

> In article <mhuxt.523> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
> >    Personally, I find such an attitude disgusting in the extreme.  "Terrorism"
> >is a word about methods, not motives.  A terrorist uses violent methods to
> >attempt to change a society.  Civilized people abhor the initiation of
> >violence, even if the they share the goals of the terrorists.  Listen, Lenny:
> >it's not too late;  psychological counseling CAN help.
> >--
> >Jeff Sonntag
> >ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
> >    "Aye, Captain, and at warp 11 we're going nowhere mighty fast!"
>
> 	Are you implying "civilized people" run abortion clinics.  Any
> society that systemmatically destroys part of its population under the
> guise of "reproductive freedom" can hardly be called civilized.  Civilized
> people don't kill unborn children.  All the psychological counseling in the
> world can't help "terrorists" who kill children in their mother's womb.
>
> --
> Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
> 			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

Right on, Tom!

I used to be pro-abortion myself, but after I saw some of those
doctors who run the clinics on TV I changed my mind.  A couple of
those guys were so hairy they couldn't have been much above the
Cro-Magnon level.

P.S.
	I think if you use whatever it is that you have in your head
	and reread the original article, you'll find that the counseling
	was recommended for a different party than the savages.  You
	know as well as I do that Pavlovian conditioning is about all
	that would work with beasts like that.