[net.abortion] answer to Ken

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) (02/06/85)

[]
>From: kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP ("Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs" Ken Montgomery)
>> Why is the distinction between doing harm and refusing aid
>> irrelevant?  Why do you think the two are [morally -pvt] the same?
>
>Because the results are the same, and they're what count.
>
> Paul V Torek, ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047

Are you saying that you believe that the ends justify the means?

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cats and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA  [for Arpanauts only]

daf@ccice6.UUCP (David Fader) (02/08/85)

> >> Why is the distinction between doing harm and refusing aid
> >> irrelevant?  Why do you think the two are [morally -pvt] the same?

> >Because the results are the same, and they're what count.

> Are you saying that you believe that the ends justify the means?

Ken, let me explain what Mr. Torek is saying. Assume the
the existence of the following scenarios.
A.) A car goes off the road and overturns in a stream.
    The water looks swift an dangerous so you do nothing
    and the persom in the car drowns.
B.) You tie cement blocks to a persons feet and throw
    them off a dock. The person drowns.
In either case they are dead. The law does not quibble over
semantics. In either case you will be charged with murder.
I acknowledge the fact that it would be first degee murder in
one case and second degree murder in the other case, but that
is not relevent to the point. The fact that the person is dead
is all that matters, not how or why.
--
The Watcher
seismo!rochester!ccice5!ccice6!daf

cjk@ccice2.UUCP (Chris Kreilick) (02/10/85)

> > >Because the results are the same, and they're what count.
>
> > Are you saying that you believe that the ends justify the means?
>
> Ken, let me explain what Mr. Torek is saying. Assume the
> the existence of the following scenarios.
> A.) A car goes off the road and overturns in a stream.
>     The water looks swift an dangerous so you do nothing
>     and the persom in the car drowns.
> B.) You tie cement blocks to a persons feet and throw
>     them off a dock. The person drowns.
> In either case they are dead. The law does not quibble over
> semantics. In either case you will be charged with murder.
> I acknowledge the fact that it would be first degee murder in
> one case and second degree murder in the other case, but that
> is not relevent to the point. The fact that the person is dead
> is all that matters, not how or why.
> --
> The Watcher
> seismo!rochester!ccice5!ccice6!daf

THAT'S RIGHT MR. FADER!

You've hit the nail almost squarely on the head.  I think what
"Son of Stone" really meant, however, can be seen through the
following example.

A.) Some individual, (we'll call him Brad), has a nuclear device so
    powerful that its detonation will cause the Earth to leave it's
    present orbit, move farther from the sun and cause another ice
    age.  Mankind as we know it will disappear.  Only those of a
    "stone age" mentality will survive.

B.) Mr. Torek, desiring this situation to come to pass allows Brad to
    detonate the device.

In either case we are guilty.  That's right, you and I.  We have
continued to read their articles, and done nothing about them. We
have continued to spend our valuable time in a worthless pursuit.
The law does not quibble over semantics.  In either case it means
the extinction of the Brontos.
--
Bronto rider