[net.abortion] Inconsistency strikes again

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (02/05/85)

In Elliott City, Maryland today, Ronald Hicks was charged with vehicular
manslaughter because he was involved in a traffic accident that led
to the abortion of a 13-week fetus.

Hicks was driving a pickup that collided last August with a car
that contained a 22-year-old pregnant woman.

She suffered internal injuries of a nature that led her doctor
to terminate her pregnancy.

Here is the inconsistency:  there is no way to know what would have
happened had the doctor not done the abortion, and yet the driver of
the truck is being charged with manslaughter!

If abortion is murder, shouldn't the woman and her doctor be charged too?
If it isn't, how come Hicks is being prosecuted at all?

Can someone come up with a consistent way of explaining the facts?
I can't.

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/06/85)

Remember, the man you mentioned is only being CHARGED with vehicular
manslaughter.  If the court goes by recent rulings in other states,
he will be judged innocent on the basis that a fetus is NOT a human.

Sure, the woman involved can seek civil damages, but the usual way of
determining how much money you get for the loss of a child (note, I
am NOT saying that the fetus was a child) is how much money that child
would have made over its lifetime.  It would be difficult to prove that
the fetus would definitely have been even born, not to mention born
completely healthy, so no determination can be made about how productive
said fetus would/could have been.  She might get bucks for pain and suffering.

The reason the woman and doctor are not being prosecuted is that, thank the
gods, abortion is still legal in this country.

Mikki Barry

bnapl@burdvax.UUCP (Tom Albrecht) (02/07/85)

In article <alice.3367> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>She suffered internal injuries of a nature that led her doctor
>to terminate her pregnancy.
>
>Here is the inconsistency:  there is no way to know what would have
>happened had the doctor not done the abortion, and yet the driver of
>the truck is being charged with manslaughter!
>
>If abortion is murder, shouldn't the woman and her doctor be charged too?
>If it isn't, how come Hicks is being prosecuted at all?
>
>Can someone come up with a consistent way of explaining the facts?
>I can't.

	I would assume, not knowing all the facts of the story, that the
doctor felt the woman's injuries and the presence of the fetus placed the
woman's life in jeopardy.  Under those circumstances, the doctor was
justified in aborting the pregnancy.  Hicks would be liable for the death
of the infant because he caused the accident and, therefore, indirectly
caused the death of the child.

--
Tom Albrecht 		Burroughs Corp.
			...{presby|psuvax1|sdcrdcf}!burdvax!bnapl

daf@ccice6.UUCP (David Fader) (02/08/85)

> In Elliott City, Maryland today, Ronald Hicks was charged with vehicular
> manslaughter because he was involved in a traffic accident that led
> to the abortion of a 13-week fetus.
>
> Hicks was driving a pickup that collided last August with a car
> that contained a 22-year-old pregnant woman.
>
> She suffered internal injuries of a nature that led her doctor
> to terminate her pregnancy.
>
> Here is the inconsistency:  there is no way to know what would have
> happened had the doctor not done the abortion, and yet the driver of
> the truck is being charged with manslaughter!
>
> If abortion is murder, shouldn't the woman and her doctor be charged too?
> If it isn't, how come Hicks is being prosecuted at all?
>
> Can someone come up with a consistent way of explaining the facts?
> I can't.

Stop and look again. The child was not wearing a seatbelt
or involved in driving the car. Therefore the decision is fair.
--
The Watcher
seismo!rochester!ccice5!ccice6!daf

cjk@ccice2.UUCP (Chris Kreilick) (02/10/85)

> > In Elliott City, Maryland today, Ronald Hicks was charged with vehicular
> > manslaughter because he was involved in a traffic accident that led
> > to the abortion of a 13-week fetus.
> >
> > Hicks was driving a pickup that collided last August with a car
> > that contained a 22-year-old pregnant woman.
> >
> > She suffered internal injuries of a nature that led her doctor
> > to terminate her pregnancy.
> >
> > Here is the inconsistency:  there is no way to know what would have
> > happened had the doctor not done the abortion, and yet the driver of
> > the truck is being charged with manslaughter!
> >
> > If abortion is murder, shouldn't the woman and her doctor be charged too?
> > If it isn't, how come Hicks is being prosecuted at all?
> >
> > Can someone come up with a consistent way of explaining the facts?
> > I can't.
>
> Stop and look again. The child was not wearing a seatbelt
> or involved in driving the car. Therefore the decision is fair.
> --
> The Watcher
> seismo!rochester!ccice5!ccice6!daf

WAIT MR. FADER!

I'm not sure about this one.  If the belt was around the
baby's waist, wouldn't it also shield the baby?

--
Bronto rider

daf@ccice6.UUCP (David Fader) (02/11/85)

> > > In Elliott City, Maryland today, Ronald Hicks was charged with vehicular
> > > manslaughter because he was involved in a traffic accident that led
> > > to the abortion of a 13-week fetus.
> > >
> > > Hicks was driving a pickup that collided last August with a car
> > > that contained a 22-year-old pregnant woman.
> > >
> > > She suffered internal injuries of a nature that led her doctor
> > > to terminate her pregnancy.
> > >
> > > Here is the inconsistency:  there is no way to know what would have
> > > happened had the doctor not done the abortion, and yet the driver of
> > > the truck is being charged with manslaughter!
> > >
> > > If abortion is murder, shouldn't the woman and her doctor be charged too?
> > > If it isn't, how come Hicks is being prosecuted at all?
> > >
> > > Can someone come up with a consistent way of explaining the facts?
> > > I can't.
> >
> > Stop and look again. The child was not wearing a seatbelt
> > or involved in driving the car. Therefore the decision is fair.
> >

> I'm not sure about this one.  If the belt was around the
> baby's waist, wouldn't it also shield the baby?

I acknowledge that, however you have failed to
address the issue of driving. My point stands.