[net.abortion] Abortion/Miscarriage Grief

carlton@masscomp.UUCP (Carlton Hommel) (02/10/85)

In article <709@bunker.UUCP> (Gary M. Samuelson) writes:
>> How many of you have held-- or even thought of holding-- funeral
>> services or Last Rites for an abortion?... For a stillbirth?... For a
>> miscarriage?...
>
>The women I know who have had miscarriages
>say, "I lost my baby," and have to resolve their grief just as if
>the baby had died after birth.

    You ask about my sincerity. When faced with an "unwanted" pregnancy many
years ago, I chose to have the baby and place the child up for adoption.
I really felt that by having intercourse I *did* invite the child into my
body.  No matter the precautions taken, there is always the risk of pregnancy.
    I suffered a miscarriage when I was only nine weeks along.  I felt a
terrible amount of grief.  Did I love my baby enough?  Did I unwittingly cause
the miscarriage by not eating enough?  Working too much?

    Today, I am married, and six months along with our son.  A few weeks ago,
I started showing signs of an impending miscarriage.  After phoning the doctor,
and making arrangements to go the the hospital (I broke down and cried) and
my husband made arrangements for a priest, baptism, last rites, and burial.
Luckily for little Carl, the placental seperation was only minor.

    I work with young women facing unwanted pregnancies at two Boston-area
pregnancy support centers.  The vast majority have had previous abortions,
and were so traumatized that they are willing to put up with the social
and familial pressures of having a baby.  All recall physical pain, and
emotional grief, at the hands of the 'fast-food' abortion clinics.

Post followups to only net.kids or net.abortion, depending on the slant
of your response.

	Alana Hommel
New Father: Saying you're going to get pregnant *afterward* does no good!!
New Mother: Well, I did whisper it in your ear when I was nibbling on it....

ian@loral.UUCP (Ian Kaplan) (02/13/85)

  PLEASE DO NOT POST NET.ABORTION MATERIAL TO NET.KIDS

  I have enjoyed reading net.kids a lot recently.  Please do not poison my
  enjoyment with  articles on abortion.  Don't tell me that it involves
  kids: there is a news group which is dedicated to this discussion.
  People who are interested in such arguments can read it there.

  Get out and stay out of net.kids.

  As far as flames go, I will send them all to /dev/null where they belong.

			  Ian Kaplan

   The opinions here are mine and are not necessarily shared by the owners
   of this VAX.