[net.abortion] Well?! What did you expect?!

hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.ARPA (Ernest Hua) (02/18/85)

THIS IS AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING ARTICLE.  (Should give you an idea about
everything in general.  No guarantee, of course.)

FIRST:	What do we use as the foundations for discussion?  Is it
	practical considerations?  Is it moral considerations?
	Please understand that a compromise is extremely difficult!

	If we use practical considerations, the pro-choice side will
	easily win since enforcement of an anti-abortion law will
	lead to more illegal abortions and further endanger women
	who cannot get doctors to say that the fetus threatens their
	life or convince judges that they were raped.  (Of course,
	this will be even worse should an ABSOLUTE anti-abortion law
	be passed.)  Doctors will probably lies significantly more
	to help patients get abortions.

	If we use moral considerations, the pro-life side will easily
	win since the abortion kills a potential human being.  Note
	that a child underaged is not a "full" human being.  The law
	certainly does not recognize that!  This does NOT prevent the
	law from protecting a child!  This should NOT prevent the law
	from protecting the fetus!

	(I would personally go for the practical choice.)

SECOND:	Decide which we want to use from "FIRST" before further dis-
	cussion on the topic itself!

Keebler

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (02/20/85)

> THIS IS AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING ARTICLE.  (Should give you an idea about
> everything in general.  No guarantee, of course.)

> FIRST:	What do we use as the foundations for discussion?  Is it
> 	practical considerations?  Is it moral considerations?
> 	Please understand that a compromise is extremely difficult!
>
> 	If we use practical considerations, the pro-choice side will
> 	easily win since enforcement of an anti-abortion law will
> 	lead to more illegal abortions and further endanger women
> 	who cannot get doctors to say that the fetus threatens their
> 	life or convince judges that they were raped.  (Of course,
> 	this will be even worse should an ABSOLUTE anti-abortion law
> 	be passed.)  Doctors will probably lies significantly more
> 	to help patients get abortions.
>
> 	If we use moral considerations, the pro-life side will easily
> 	win since the abortion kills a potential human being.  Note
> 	that a child underaged is not a "full" human being.  The law
> 	certainly does not recognize that!  This does NOT prevent the
> 	law from protecting a child!  This should NOT prevent the law
> 	from protecting the fetus!
>
> 	(I would personally go for the practical choice.)
>
> SECOND:	Decide which we want to use from "FIRST" before further dis-
> 	cussion on the topic itself!

> Keebler

Humm. This seems to be the whole problem of abortion. The two sides,
I call them sides regretably, are arguing from these two
divergent view points. Alas, to decide on arguing from a view point
without taking into account the other is unrealistic and quite
uncomplimentary to either woman or fetus(I use this term to account
for both viewpoints; I happen to be anti-abortion on demand).
It would be nice if society could agree on the viewpoint
being used, but we live in a multi-dimensional world, in which
there are many influences upon any ethical decision.
Let me give you an example of a subject which has many viewpoints:

Subject:  WWII

Viewpoints to evaluate from:

				AMERICAN G.I.
				BRITISH CITIZEN
				GERMAN CITIZEN
				RUSSIAN CITIZEN
Note: these are not
all the view points.
				JAPANESE-CANADIAN (interned)
				SWEDISH DIPLOMAT
				CANADIAN POLITICIAN
				ITALIAN CO-LABORATTOR
				FRENCH RESISTANCE FIGHTER

Which is right? Really none of them, because they all experienced
different situations.
Each of them must be taken into account when writing a history
of the war.
So who is right in the abortion question?
That's what this net is for. Just take in all accounts.

Sincerely yours,

                        DAVE BROWN

                 	WHO SAID HISTORY IS IRRELEVANT?