[net.abortion] Dividing Lines

johnston@spp1.UUCP (01/24/85)

The trouble with compromise on a dividing line is that is dependent on
what your'e looking for. If you want a line so that you may state that
anything before this line is not life, then you may pick the earliest date
offerred and everyone would be satisfied. From what I hear that point
would be conception.

If you want a line so that you may state that everything after this line
has life, you may pick the latest date offerred and everyone would be
satisfied. This date would be birth by most concensus. Some have ventured
later dates though.

But life is a binary variable. It is true or false. Therefore any dividing
line has to, by defintion, make both statements. And therefore a compromise
is impossible unless the basic statements change, but then life would not,
could not be the criteria.

There is another statement though. How about a dividing line that preserves
life when it is there (by consensus by the latest dates), is allowed to
disregard anything without life (by consensus by the earliest date),
and (the bomb) preserves the possibility of life when we can't be sure due
to no consensus (the delta in between).

				Mike Johnston

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (01/26/85)

Everybody is trying to answer the "important" question; At what point
does the fetus become a human being. Some say conception, some say birth,
some say at some time in between. Since we don't know for sure I would like
to offer a suggestion. Rather than continuing to kill "fetuses" which may
or may not be "human beings", while we're waiting for all the "evidence"
and the "facts" to come in, lets stop killing them while we're waiting!
Is there anybody out there who would seal the casket of a person whom
they were not sure was dead? In this country we are innocent until proven
guilty; (good law); I propose that we should consider the "fetus" a human
being until proven not! I would consider a body in the street "alive"
until proven "dead", wouldn't you?

					  Dan Boskovich
					  (New on the Net)

In article <252@scgvaxd.UUCP> dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) writes:
>I propose that we should consider the "fetus" a human
>being until proven otherwise!
>
>					  Dan Boskovich
>					  (New on the Net)

After posting this I realized that some may ask, "Why should we consider the
"fetus" a human being until proven otherwise, rather than visa versa???
Answer: The "fetus" at less than 10 weeks has fingers, toes, all of its
"human" organs, and brain patterns. I think it is a safe assumption that
there is a *good* chance that this "fetus" just might be a "human being".

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/27/85)

> I propose that we should consider the "fetus" a human
> being until proven not!

	Ok, if I got drunk and accidently knocked you down the stairs
and killed you, I could get  tried for homocide.
What should we do with a pregnent woman who gets drunk, trips, falls
down the stairs and miscarries.  If a fetus has the same status that
someone who has been born has, then that woman would have to be tried
for homocide.  Any miscarrage whatsoever would have to be subject of
a homocide investigation.  Since some fairly large percentage of
pregnancies do not come to term anyway, it would keep the police
and courts pretty busy.

	What happens if a mother does not have proper pre-natal care
and her child is disabled in some way?   What is the difference between
that and a woman who, say, gives her infant child alcohol, tabacco,
and other drugs.  If the child has been born, then it is obviously
child abuse, what if it has not been born?

	It is nonsense to think that we could give a fetus
the same status as someone that has already been born.  The dividing
line is not fuzzy at all.  The logical consequences of giving
fetuses the same status as the rest of us are absurd.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (01/28/85)

In article <342@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:

>> I propose that we should consider the "fetus" a human
>> being until proven not!
>>

>	Ok, if I got drunk and accidently knocked you down the stairs
>and killed you, I could get  tried for homocide.
>What should we do with a pregnent woman who gets drunk, trips, falls
>down the stairs and miscarries.  If a fetus has the same status that
>someone who has been born has, then that woman would have to be tried
>for homocide.  Any miscarrage whatsoever would have to be subject of
>a homocide investigation.  Since some fairly large percentage of
>pregnancies do not come to term anyway, it would keep the police
>and courts pretty busy.

I must have been born yesterday! I didn't realize that these hypothetical
situations occured so frequently prior to abortion becoming legal. I
hope the authorities released all those poor girls that were serving
time for miscarriages before legalized abortion.

>	What happens if a mother does not have proper pre-natal care
>and her child is disabled in some way?   What is the difference between
>that and a woman who, say, gives her infant child alcohol, tabacco,
>and other drugs.  If the child has been born, then it is obviously
>child abuse, what if it has not been born?

Maybe if we recognized the rights of an unborn, the mothers would take
better care of themselves during pregnancy. It would sure lower the
rate of birth defects.

>	It is nonsense to think that we could give a fetus
>the same status as someone that has already been born.  The dividing
>line is not fuzzy at all.  The logical consequences of giving
>fetuses the same status as the rest of us are absurd.

The emotionalism of this argument is what is absurd! The anti-abortionists
cause is simply to stop the killing of innocent unborn babies that ARE
alive and just as HUMAN as a prematurely delivered baby; not to convict
a woman for falling down the stairs (obviously an accident).
I hope most people can see the obvious difference between purposely killing
a fetus and an accident. I am sure the laws could be adjusted to prevent
such a thing. I don't know of this happening before legalized abortion, do
you?

I am still not so sure that smoking, drinking alcohol, or any other drug
taken for no good reason but to get high or have fun, should be legal during
pregnancy, but in that area I am willing to compromise. I am sure we all
consider the fetus a "potential human being" at very least. This should
be enough to re-evaluate our current laws which allow the killing of
fetuses to the tune of 1.5 million per year of which more than 90% are
NOT cases of rape, incest or endangered mother.

						      Dan

In article <150@spp1.UUCP> johnston@spp1.UUCP writes:
>The trouble with compromise on a dividing line is that is dependent on
>what your'e looking for. If you want a line so that you may state that
>anything before this line is not life, then you may pick the earliest date
>offerred and everyone would be satisfied. From what I hear that point
>would be conception.

	The problem with this is the *earliest* dividing line is
actually *ovulation* not conception!  The reasons for considering
this the significant point are just as strong as for choosing
conception, and there is *very* little difference between them.
This is the basic point of my articles on the arbitrariness of
dividing lines in living things.  Life is *not* a binary variable,
it is a contuum.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen

In article <342@scc.UUCP> steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) writes:
>	It is nonsense to think that we could give a fetus
>the same status as someone that has already been born.  The dividing
>line is not fuzzy at all.  The logical consequences of giving
>fetuses the same status as the rest of us are absurd.

	My statement about the arbitrariness of dividing lines was
from a *biological* point of view, and is quite correct from that
point of view.  From a legal/practical point of view I agree completely,
it is absurd to give an unborn fetus full human rights, just as it is
absurd to give a young child full adult rights.
--

plunkett@rlgvax.UUCP (S. Plunkett) (01/28/85)

> In article <252@scgvaxd.UUCP> dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) writes:
> >I propose that we should consider the "fetus" a human
> >being until proven otherwise!
> >
> >					  Dan Boskovich
> >					  (New on the Net)
>
> After posting this I realized that some may ask, "Why should we consider the
> "fetus" a human being until proven otherwise, rather than visa versa???
> Answer: The "fetus" at less than 10 weeks has fingers, toes, all of its
> "human" organs, and brain patterns. I think it is a safe assumption that
> there is a *good* chance that this "fetus" just might be a "human being".

A simpler reason: Who would want to continue abortions, then later learn
that you were killing people, or permitting innocents to be killed!
If, after "all the evidence is in," it is determined that in fact fetuses
can't possibly be human (silly!), then the ladies may begin aborting again
in moral safety, with little damage having been done.

Thus: Better safe than sorry.  Wait for the "facts."  Abortionists can
go on welfare, or explore plumbing as a profession.

Problem solved; disband net.abortion.

[......]
>Everybody is trying to answer the "important" question; At what point
>does the fetus become a human being.

No, I don't think this is the important question at all.  The question
I'm trying to find the answer to, is at what point does the mother
have to give up her rights in favor of the foetus.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (01/30/85)

In article <382@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>[......]
>>Everybody is trying to answer the "important" question; At what point
>>does the fetus become a human being.
>
>No, I don't think this is the important question at all.  The question
>I'm trying to find the answer to, is at what point does the mother
>have to give up her rights in favor of the foetus.
>
>Keith Doyle
>{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

If the fetus is a human being, the mother has no right to terminate
the pregnancy simply to remove a social inconvenience or to preserve
a career, which is what abortion on demand allows.
The right to live far surpasses any and all other human rights and
should not be violated. So the question is still; When does a fetus
become a human being?
Even in the case of rape and incest, is it right to destroy a human life?
If the mothers life is endanger, the cases should be evaluated individually
where there are two human lives concerned. The solution should be one
that takes both lives into consideration, not one over another.
ALL of this hinges of course on whether or not a fetus IS a human life!

In article <382@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>[......]
>>Everybody is trying to answer the "important" question; At what point
>>does the fetus become a human being.
>
>No, I don't think this is the important question at all.  The question
>I'm trying to find the answer to, is at what point does the mother
>have to give up her rights in favor of the foetus.
>
>Keith Doyle
>{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

	But this amounts to the same thing. The mother need not give
up her rights in favor of what is not human, but that which is human
does have rights which should not be abridged.  Look at the arguments
presented by both sides.  The pro-lifers argue repeatedly that a fetus
is human, pro-choicers continue to deny it.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen

[.........]
>In article <382@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
>>>Everybody is trying to answer the "important" question; At what point
>>>does the fetus become a human being.
>>
>>No, I don't think this is the important question at all.  The question
>>I'm trying to find the answer to, is at what point does the mother
>>have to give up her rights in favor of the foetus.
>>
>>Keith Doyle

>	But this amounts to the same thing. The mother need not give
>up her rights in favor of what is not human, but that which is human
>does have rights which should not be abridged.  Look at the arguments
>presented by both sides.  The pro-lifers argue repeatedly that a fetus
>is human, pro-choicers continue to deny it.

>				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

Actually, as one who has pro-choice leanings, I don't feel that the issue
of the non-human-ness of a foetus argument has a leg to stand on.  I think it
is clear that any argument that states that a foetus 'is not human yet' at
any point in time is AT LEAST not supported by any scientific evidence.
If we don't even know what constitues 'human-ness' we can hardly say that
a foetus of a certain age has it or not.  And, as the pro-lifers would
probably say, 'If in doubt, assume it's human'.

What I'm trying to say here, is that there are other pro-choice arguments,
and it is these other arguments where I believe the really important issues
lie.

I think the real argument is something more like this;  When one individual
(let's call it the 'dependant' or 'foetus' ) depends on another individual
( the 'dependee' or 'mother' ) for it's life support, this does not mean
that the 'dependee' totally gives up her rights in lieu of the dependants
needs.  And in fact, the dependee may have certain rights to 'pull-the-plug'
or withdraw support from the dependant.  This may not mean that this may
occur without restriction, but there are situations that are complicated
enough that explicit legislation may not be able to effectively address.

Some of the legitimate 'reasons' a mother may have of withdrawing support
are:

   1. Physical health of the mother
   2. Emotional health of the mother
   3. Age of the mother (this means too young OR too old I expect)
   4. Conflicts with the mothers means of livelihood

And, there may be other reasons.  In fact there may also be a 'grey area'
that involves mothers who are considered incapable of 'proper care'.  This
could be for a variety of reasons, such as:

    1. Insanity
    2. Mental Deficiency
    3. Drug addiction
    4. Hereditary defects (in the mother)

And I don't mean 'proper care' once the foetus is born, but while it is
still 'in utero'.   A mother who is highly depressed, smokes, drinks, etc.
may cause the death or disfigurement of the foetus even without an abortion.
And in fact, situations like this may be likely to occur without the thought
and benifit of ANY counseling on the matter that one would get while applying
for legal abortion.

I feel that the government cannot assume that all people are innately
'responsible' and can be expected to or coerced into providing support
to other humans.  And certainly it was not difficult when abortion WAS illegal
for someone to obtain one anyway.  And in fact this may have been the primary
reason it was legalized in the first place.

I'm sure we would see some of these arguments in net.euthanasia if it existed.
i.e. the rights of someone to withdraw life support.

Keith Doyle
{ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
"CHOOSE life, don't legislate it!"

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (02/19/85)

> What I'm trying to say here, is that there are other pro-choice arguments,
> and it is these other arguments where I believe the really important issues
> lie.
>
> I think the real argument is something more like this;  When one individual
> (let's call it the 'dependant' or 'foetus' ) depends on another individual
> ( the 'dependee' or 'mother' ) for it's life support, this does not mean
> that the 'dependee' totally gives up her rights in lieu of the dependants
> needs.  And in fact, the dependee may have certain rights to 'pull-the-plug'
> or withdraw support from the dependant.  This may not mean that this may
> occur without restriction, but there are situations that are complicated
> enough that explicit legislation may not be able to effectively address.
>
> Some of the legitimate 'reasons' a mother may have of withdrawing support
> are:
>
>    1. Physical health of the mother
>    2. Emotional health of the mother

Here lies a problem, just what constitutes physical and emotional health?
More than one person has equated emotional health with economics.

>    3. Age of the mother (this means too young OR too old I expect)
>    4. Conflicts with the mothers means of livelihood
Once again this is a value judgement on the right of the mother against
the right of the child.

> And, there may be other reasons.  In fact there may also be a 'grey area'
> that involves mothers who are considered incapable of 'proper care'.  This
> could be for a variety of reasons, such as:
>
>     1. Insanity
>     2. Mental Deficiency
>     3. Drug addiction
>     4. Hereditary defects (in the mother)

Why punish the potential child for the problem of the mother?
The terminating of a potential life for the sake of possible defects
would have halted the chances of more than one genius.
Bethoven would have been never born.

> And I don't mean 'proper care' once the foetus is born, but while it is
> still 'in utero'.   A mother who is highly depressed, smokes, drinks, etc.
> may cause the death or disfigurement of the foetus even without an abortion.
> And in fact, situations like this may be likely to occur without the thought
> and benifit of ANY counseling on the matter that one would get while applying
> for legal abortion.

On this note I hve to agree with you. The pro-life forces have been guilty
of avoiding the problems of the mother.

> I feel that the government cannot assume that all people are innately
> 'responsible' and can be expected to or coerced into providing support
> to other humans.  And certainly it was not difficult when abortion WAS illegal
> for someone to obtain one anyway.  And in fact this may have been the primary
> reason it was legalized in the first place.

I realize that we are talking about people's lives here,but,
why do things that are illegal and dangerous(Back street butchers)
have to be legalized?

> "CHOOSE life, don't legislate it!"
Nor should one possibly legislate against it.

Sincerely yours,

                        Dave Brown

kjm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ken Montgomery) (02/22/85)

[]

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) writes:
>If the fetus is a human being, the mother has no right to terminate
>the pregnancy simply to remove a social inconvenience or to preserve
>a career, which is what abortion on demand allows.

Why does the fetus have the right to extract support from its
unwilling mother?  (What does convenience have to do with it?)

>The right to live far surpasses any and all other human rights and
>should not be violated.

I don't buy the idea of the "right to live", but only of the right
to be left alone.  The "right to live" includes the presumption that
the means to live will be provided, somehow.  How?  Blank out!

> So the question is still; When does a fetus
>become a human being?

What exactly is a "human being"?  The least unreasonable definition
of "human" I've heard is genetic -- a human being is an entity which
posesses a full set of Homo Sapiens genes.  But this definition has
a major problem: the \polar body/, an "extra" full set of H. Sapiens
genes which forms during fertilization.  The polar body usually does
not develop into a separate embryo (surprise! :~>).  But the question
arises: do polar bodies have the "right to life"?  (Knowledgeable
persons please correct me if I've misremembered the above...)
BTW, If someone has a better definition of "human", please post it.

>Even in the case of rape and incest, is it right to destroy a human life?

Is it *ever* right to enslave anyone, even to save another person?

>If the mothers life is endanger, the cases should be evaluated individually
>where there are two human lives concerned. The solution should be one
>that takes both lives into consideration, not one over another.

In an unwanted pregnancy, someone is going to lose.  The mother owns
her body and did not invite the fetus to use it, so the fetus loses.

>ALL of this hinges of course on whether or not a fetus IS a human life!

Which is a *major* problem -- incompatible (and even contradictory)
definitions of "human life" can be constructed...

--
The above viewpoints are mine.  They are unrelated to
those of anyone else, including my cats and my employer.

Ken Montgomery  "Shredder-of-hapless-smurfs"
...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!kjm  [Usenet, when working]
kjm@ut-ngp.ARPA  [for Arpanauts only]

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (02/26/85)

> > Some of the legitimate 'reasons' a mother may have of withdrawing support
> > are:
> >
> >    1. Physical health of the mother
> >    2. Emotional health of the mother
>
> Here lies a problem, just what constitutes physical and emotional health?
	recently a friend of mine found out that she was pregnant
	and upon examination, though she was far enough along
	that you should be able to find a heart beat, the doctor
	could find no signs of life. The doctor said that my friend
	COULD wait a few weeks and see if this changed, or they
	could play it safe and abort it.
	Now, my friend has has a lot of problems the last few years.
	All physical and related to ovarian systs. She has been through
	a lot of pain and was experiencing even more with the pregnancy.
	My friend's husband tried to talk her into waiting, but she
	was far enough along that it was safer for her to not wait.
	The extreem pain which she was experiencing has subsided since
	they removed the fetus.
	(The thought of having to carry a dead fetus for several weeks
	is not too pleasent. My sister just about flipped out last year
	when her doctor admitted that they couldn't find HER baby's heart
	beat because it had died at about 8 weeks. She was over 16 weeks
	when they quit telling her to wait just a bit longer.)

> I realize that we are talking about people's lives here,but,
> why do things that are illegal and dangerous(Back street butchers)
> have to be legalized?
>
>                         Dave Brown

	I have been under the impression that the clinics which
	preform this type of operation are generally clean and
	help their clients to avoid any infections or problems which
	might possibly arise.	With the clinics, the woman is
	recieving a PRACTICED skill and does not have to worry
	about the "Back street Butchers", or even unkilled doctors.

	 Annadiana Beaver
	A Beaver@Tektronix

	"My heart should sing a happy song. My soul itself to free.
	 I give not more than I can give. That's how life should be.