[net.abortion] emotion

mn@dscvax2.UUCP (06/05/85)

> From: hua@cmu-cs-edu1.ARPA (Ernest Hua)

> "We now have a good reason for abortions.  (Pro-abortion, as opposed to pro-
> choice.)  Gary Samuelson has just provided us with ample figures to show us
> that abortions aren't wasted away.  Ain't that nice?  Let's say we have 1.5
> million abortions.  Not only is that 1.5 million less mouths to feed, bods
> to cloth, education to provide, etc. ... that's 1.5 million abortions free
> to used in some practical manner.  So what do you say, Gar?  How about some
> PROABORTION posters so we can get this economic potential rollin', huh?"

Please don't be flippant about human life.  And don't feel feel personally
responsible for all those lives.  You don't have to feed and clothe all those
people.  There are plenty of pro-lifers who are set up to help in that
regard.  The government, no doubt, will help as it is now.  Just stay out of
the way of us who want to help.  I cannot understand the upbringing of someone
who argues about human life from a mainly economic point of view.

> This is why I would side with the pro-choice people.  It makes a lot more
> sense to allow someone to apply her own judgements to her own body.

Why do you always neglect to mention the body of the person she is
carrying?  That little body depends on people taking care of it well beyond
birth.

> Anyway, rather than posting things that will potentially infuriate and
> excite people's emotions, how about a little more rational arguments.  I
> have seen a lot of chants of "pro-dead-babies, pro-death, pro-abortion,
> pro-communist, pro-child-molesting, etc..." applied to pro-choice people.
> Yes, no one will stop you from speaking such slanderous falsehoods, as
> you have the right to say it.  However, I and many others will continue
> to point out the fallacies of these purely emotional statements.
>
> Live long and sell dead babies ... :-)
> Keebler { hua@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa }

Slanderous Falsehoods?  I think not.  Some of those terms apply to some of
the people.  Don't presume to think so highly of yourself that you and many
others will "point out the fallacies ...".  The truth is that life is a
mystery; we know its vital signs but we cannot give it.  I don't presume to
define it but I do voice an opinion as to when society should protect it.
I also believe it is important enough to legislate it so that we may stem
the tide of death and reverse an attitude that human life is not sacred.

Matt Noah