[net.abortion] Torek's ANNUAL inCONCLUSIVE ARGUMENT :->

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/10/85)

In article <789@umcp-cs.UUCP> flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) writes:
>> (a) If I don't want the baby, it must be "trespassing", and
>> therefore it's OK to kill it (analogue to property rights)
> (a) is valid only in rape cases.

Sorry I missed your arguement in previous postings, but this seems
absurd. What if the woman's (or man's) birth control fail? Does that
mean she secretly wanted the fetus?

>AS IT BECOMES SENTIENT (i.e. capable of an experience of any sort (sight,
>touch, pain, etc.)) if it can be expected to live to be a normal adult.
>("Normal" in any sense that is considered ethically relevant...

This is a dangerous assertion. Sentience is still a raging philisophical
debate. Consider AI: if a truly intelligent computer were built such
that it could see, feel, hear and interpret these to produce responses
suitable for human cognition (ie experience), then that would suggest
sentient MINERAL life. Also, from your definition, almost all non-fetal
animal life is sentient as well as an incredible amount of vegtable
life.

What you have done with your argument is clearly show the major
difficulties for the "pro-choice" side. With America's wonderful
"innocent until proven guilty" policy, the "pro-choice" side must
conclusively show that the fetus has no legal rights (up to some time
limit) in order to keep abortion legal. The "pro-life" side must merely
present a reasonable doubt. This isn't difficult when the whole debate
is riddled with definitions such as "sentient" and "life" that become
meta-circular very easily.

(Then again, all I just did was state the obvious and get nowhere.)

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX