[net.abortion] freedom/responsibility

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/03/85)

>> Every freedom carries responsibility with it.  If you want the freedom,
>> you had best be ready for the responsibility.
>>
>> 				Jean Marie Diaz
>
> I've heard this unsupported assertion all over the place, and I have
> no idea why people keep on saying it.  Please tell me:
>
> 1)  What is your evidence that every freedom possesses a corresponding
> responsibility?

  Spare me.  What do you want, a professional study?  I won't have the
  tools for another 4 years or so.

> 2) Why should a freedom be so linked?

  Because otherwise, *my* freedoms collide with the equally valid
  freedoms of *others*.  It's the old "my freedom to swing my fist
  ends where your nose begins" example.  Perhaps we should change
  it to say "Every freedom carries with it the responsibility not
  to encroach on the freedoms of others."  Can you agree with that?
  Comments, anyone?

> In the case being argued in this newsgroup, people are saying
> things like, "Freedom to engage in sexual intercourse carries the
> corresponding responsibility to be prepared to use contraceptives
> or care for a child."  How is this more true than saying, "Freedom
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I haven't ignored the possibility of adoption--why do you?

--

					AMBAR
                    	{the known universe}!ihnp4!ihlpg!jeand

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/04/85)

>>>Every freedom carries responsibility with it.  If you want the freedom,
>>>you had best be ready for the responsibility.
>>>				Jean Marie Diaz

>>I've heard this unsupported assertion all over the place, and I have
>>no idea why people keep on saying it.  Please tell me:
>>
>>1)  What is your evidence that every freedom possesses a corresponding
>>responsibility?

>   Spare me.  What do you want, a professional study?  I won't have the
>   tools for another 4 years or so.

Spare *me*.  Barring the results of that objective study, do we just take
certain people's arbitary word for what responsibilities they associate
with given freedoms.

>>2) Why should a freedom be so linked?

>   Because otherwise, *my* freedoms collide with the equally valid
>   freedoms of *others*.  It's the old "my freedom to swing my fist
>   ends where your nose begins" example.  Perhaps we should change
>   it to say "Every freedom carries with it the responsibility not
>   to encroach on the freedoms of others."  Can you agree with that?
>   Comments, anyone?

Yeah, that seems to go along with what I've been saying in twenty other
newsgroups, that one person's rights end where another person's rights begin.
(I never claimed it was original.)  But what you've got me wondering is what
that statement has to do with the issue at hand.  What was being talked about
was the notion that having sex means responsibilities to the fetus that might
be created as a result.  Which is equivalent to saying "Abortion is wrong
because abortion is wrong."  Not a very substantive argument.  Since that
fetus is in fact not a living organism in that it cannot sustain itself
outside of the womb, the obligation or responsibility would seem to exist
only because you say so.

It never ceases to amaze me.  The real center of the abortion controversy is
"Are the fetuses living things, the termination of which would be 'murder'?"
Having lost that central issue, the only real basis for claiming the
so-called wrongness of abortion, anti-abortionists bring up the other
ridiculous non-issues of "responsibility" (in their eyes), "convenience"
(whihc makes it wrong in their eyes), and Samuelson's "Look what they're
doing to the 'dead babies'?", as if that central issue's resolution was
irrelevant or as if the reverse of the resolution IN THEIR FAVOR was a given!
--
Like a vermin (HEY!), shot for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/06/85)

> It's only "wrong" (i.e. murder) if the object of the abortion is a living
> independent human being, and we know that the objects of abortion, the
> fetuses, cannot sustain themselves outside of the environment of the womb,
> thus they cannot be "murdered"

Are you also suggesting that it is not wrong to kill newly-born babies, since
they are not capable of feeding themselves?  For that matter, if a human must
be "independent" in order to have the right to live, why is it wrong to kill
anyone on this planet?  The only living things on this planet which can claim
to be able to survive without aid from other living things in the environment
are plants and a few bacteria which obtain energy from anaerobic chemical
reactions.  Take away all the plants and the animals (including us) will drop
dead very quickly.

> The real center of the abortion controversy is "Are the fetuses living
> things, the termination of which would be 'murder'?"  Having lost that
> central issue, . . .

A fetus is a living thing.  It's need to be provided with warmth, nutrients,
oxygen, etc. does not make it any less so.  Do you think that you are 'dead'
merely because you depend upon oxygen that is produced by plant life?

A human fetus has human chromosomes that are different from the ones which
belong to its parents.  It is not a 'tissue outgrowth' or an 'organ' of the
woman's body, but a separate individual.

Furthermore, doctors are more and more coming to regard the fetus as a
treatable patient in the womb.  There was an article in one of the news
magazines a while back discussing how this was a potential threat to the
pro-choice movement.

It seems to me that the pro-choice side has lost this central issue, and
the loss is becoming more and more obvious with every medical gain.  This
is probably why so many pro-choice arguments fall into one of these classes:

    (a) If I don't want the baby, it must be "trespassing", and
        therefore it's OK to kill it (analogue to property rights)
    (b) It may be a living human being (human = Homo sapiens), but
        it isn't HUMAN (HUMAN = Homo sapiens + certain features that
        vary with the person posting the argument), and thus it isn't
        entitled to HUMAN rights, and thus it's OK to kill it.

I don't think that either argument is convincing; other people think the
opposite.  But most of the posts from both sides do implicitly acknowledge
the fact that the fetus is a living organism which is different from (even
if dependent upon) its parents.

                                        -- Thomas Newton
                                           Thomas.Newton@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/08/85)

In article <385@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA> (Thomas Newton) writes:
>> It's only "wrong" (i.e. murder) if the object of the abortion is a living
>> independent human being, and we know that the objects of abortion, the
>> fetuses, cannot sustain themselves outside of the environment of the womb,
>> thus they cannot be "murdered"
>
>Are you also suggesting that it is not wrong to kill newly-born babies, since
>they are not capable of feeding themselves?  For that matter, if a human must
>be "independent" in order to have the right to live, why is it wrong to kill
>anyone on this planet?

No, I don't think he is. The question is: can the creature/lump of
tissue (not BABY) survive without its mother? A newborn can.

>> The real center of the abortion controversy is "Are the fetuses living
>> things, the termination of which would be 'murder'?"  Having lost that
>> central issue, . . .
>
>A fetus is a living thing.  It's need to be provided with warmth, nutrients,
>oxygen, etc. does not make it any less so.  Do you think that you are 'dead'
>merely because you depend upon oxygen that is produced by plant life?
>
>A human fetus has human chromosomes that are different from the ones which
>belong to its parents.  It is not a 'tissue outgrowth' or an 'organ' of the
>woman's body, but a separate individual.

It is too! Your sperm cells contain genetic information different from
yourself. I'm sure you don't save them all (if you do, I don't want to
know). Is the genetic material so important? Save it, implant it into an
egg and put it into some "pro-lifer" woman.

Also, I don't think anybody can argue the Earth's (God's?) right to blow
us off it's face if it doesn't like us living here.

Furthermore, as an individual, who is more important? The woman who has
gone through 16+ years of life, experience and (possibly) contribution
to society, or a fetus which has done nothing but grow inside her body?

Then you list your ideas of pro-choice arguments:
                          ^^^^  fetus! you #@%$^&@$ muckraker!

> therefore it's OK to kill it (analogue to property rights)
> (b) It may be a living human being (human = Homo sapiens), but
> it isn't HUMAN (HUMAN = Homo sapiens +certain features that
> vary with the person posting the argument), and thus it isn't
> entitled to HUMAN rights, and thus it's OK to kill it.
>
>I don't think that either argument is convincing; other people think the
>opposite.  But most of the posts from both sides do implicitly acknowledge
>the fact that the fetus is a living organism which is different from (even
>if dependent upon) its parents.
> -- Thomas Newton

We kill lots of living organisms. The other day, I saw a car with two
bumper stickers: ABORTION IS MURDER and MORE NUKES, LESS KOOKS. I don't
know how to take pro-lifers seriously anymore. Such conditional morality
is dangerous. Why are fetuses, who's social value is purely sentimental
and philisophical, so important when full grow people, who have made
their make on life, so expendable? Its scary.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (07/10/85)

Please, Charlie, don't lump everyone who has an aversion
to abortion into the same pile.  Your bumper sticker story
only indicates that the person is nothing more than an
individual.  I could make the same assumption about someone
with bumper stickers that read ABORTION IS THE ANSWER and
NO-NUKES IS GOOD NUKES, but I won't.  And further, it is still
my opinion that abortion for convenience sake is murder.
Some of you folk seem to think that anyone who opposes abortion
is only naturally a red-necked, bible-thumping, war-mongering,
nuke-loving, high school dropout with the intelligence of a
boiled snail.  Well, your wrong.  The world is not that easily
defined.  The abortion question covers people in all walks
of life with diversity of opinion that would challange Solomon.
T. C. Wheeler

jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) (07/10/85)

> No, I don't think he is. The question is: can the creature/lump of
> tissue (not BABY) survive without its mother? A newborn can.
          ^^^^^^^^  Why not?

> >A human fetus has human chromosomes that are different from the ones which
> >belong to its parents.  It is not a 'tissue outgrowth' or an 'organ' of the
> >woman's body, but a separate individual.
>
> It is too! Your sperm cells contain genetic information different from
> yourself.

That's not what I learned in junior high health class.  Sperm cells have
half of the man's genetic material.  Where would it come from otherwise?

Come to think of it, I wish we could get off this argument 'sperm (egg)
cells have genetic material too, why don't you....etc etc ad nauseam.
Sex cells are haploid (no pairs).  Every other cell in the body is
diploid (full 46.)  Therefore, comparing a fetus (or a fertilized egg)
with a single sex cell is comparing apples and bananas.

Is there a biologist in the house?

> Furthermore, as an individual, who is more important? The woman who has
> gone through 16+ years of life, experience and (possibly) contribution
> to society, or a fetus which has done nothing but grow inside her body?

Who gave you the right to decide who is more important?  Do we now have
to earn the right to life?  Boy, have I got some nominations for late-
late-late term abortions (say 30 years or so.....)

> > (a) If I don't want the baby, it must be "trespassing", and
>                           ^^^^  fetus! you #@%$^&@$ muckraker!
                          	  ^^^^^  ditto.

> We kill lots of living organisms. The other day, I saw a car with two
> bumper stickers: ABORTION IS MURDER and MORE NUKES, LESS KOOKS. I don't
> know how to take pro-lifers seriously anymore. Such conditional morality
> is dangerous. Why are fetuses, who's social value is purely sentimental
> and philisophical, so important when full grow people, who have made
> their make on life, so expendable? Its scary.

So you're going to file all pro-lifers in the same folder as the owner
of that car.  Why don't I put you in the same drawer as the people who
are going on to infanticide (only handicapped infants, of course, the
ones who could never enjoy life anyway), euthanasia, and so forth?

Answer:  you're a human being and I respect you.  Though sometimes I
wonder why.

--

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (07/11/85)

> And further, it is still
> my opinion that abortion for convenience sake is murder.
> Some of you folk seem to think that anyone who opposes abortion
> is only naturally a red-necked, bible-thumping, war-mongering,
> nuke-loving, high school dropout with the intelligence of a
> boiled snail.  Well, your wrong.  The world is not that easily
> defined. [WHEELER]

Perhaps we should limit such classifying to those who believe that
JUST because an abortion is performed for "convenience" sake, it is
"murder".  However, since no one has successfully come up with other
substantive reasons for calling it murder, it would seem that this
reasoning (plus "God says it's wrong", to which this form of reasoning
is closely tied) forms the bulk of the anti-abortion argument, and as
such it is vacuous.  Which is why so many anti-abortion types must
resort to the chicanery and the base manipulative propaganda devoid of
substance that we have seen so much of.
--
Like aversion (HEY!), shocked for the very first time...
			Rich Rosen   ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/11/85)

> No, I don't think he is.  The question is: can the creature/lump of
> tissue (not BABY) survive without its mother? A newborn can.

As medical technology advances, it's becoming possible to take care of
premature babies (i.e. fetuses) outside of their mothers at earlier and
earlier stages.  The limiting factor is NOT that the fetus is, as you
claim, a "lump of tissue", but rather that our medical technology does
not provide as good an environment as that provided by the human body.

> It is too!  Your sperm cells contain genetic information different from
> yourself.  I'm sure you don't save them all (if you do, I don't want to
> know).  Is the genetic material so important?  Save it, implant it into an
> egg and put it into some "pro-lifer" woman.

Human sperm and egg cells contain only half the number of chromosomes that
the cells in the rest of the human body contain.  The information which they
do contain is a subset of the information in the other cells of the body.

The cells belonging to a fetus have the same number of chromosomes as the
cells of any other human being.  The chromosomes which the fetus has are not
a subset of the chromosomes of the mother or a subset of the chromosomes of
the father.  They contain information defining an individual who is distinct
from both his/her mother and his/her father.

> Furthermore, as an individual, who is more important? The woman who has
> gone through 16+ years of life, experience, and (possibly) contribution
> to society, or a fetus which has done nothing but grow inside her body?

In most pregnancies, it's not a matter of choosing the life of the woman
or the life of the baby.  In the cases where the pregnancy places the life
of the woman in immediate danger, most pro-lifers seem to agree that it is
OK to perform an abortion to save the life of the mother.  This is similar
to the case where a hospital can give an organ to one of two patients who
need it, and cannot get another organ in time to save the life of the other
patient.  No matter what the hospital does, at least one of the patients dies.

> We kill lots of living organisms.  The other day, I saw a car with two
> bumper stickers: ABORTION IS MURDER and MORE NUKES, LESS KOOKS.  I don't
> know how to take pro-lifers seriously anymore.  Such conditional morality
> dangerous. Why are fetuses, who's social value is purely sentimental
> and philisophical, so important when full grow people, who have made
> their make on life, so expendable? Its scary.

Have you ever heard of the concept of self-defense?  It is OK to kill someone
if it is necessary to stop them from killing you or some other innocent person.
Extended to the national level, it is OK for a nation to maintain armed forces
to defend itself and its allies against attacks from other countries.  Do you
really think that Hitler would have withdrawn German troops to the boundaries
of Germany and stopped the Holocaust if we had said 'Please act civilized'?

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/12/85)

In article <802@ihlpg.UUCP> jeand@ihlpg.UUCP (AMBAR) writes:
>> tissue (not BABY) survive without its mother? A newborn can.
>          ^^^^^^^^  Why not?

>Who gave you the right to decide who is more important?

The same diety that gave you the right to impose your morality on all
women.

>Answer:  you're a human being and I respect you.  Though sometimes I
>wonder why.

Thankyou. I suppose if you didn't, I should make legislation that forces
you to.

--

In article (Thomas Newton) writes:

>In most pregnancies, it's not a matter of choosing the life of the woman
>or the life of the baby.  In the cases where the pregnancy places the life
>of the woman in immediate danger, most pro-lifers seem to agree that it is
>OK to perform an abortion to save the life of the mother.

Wow, you must know some pretty liberal pro-lifers. Maybe they should
meet the ones I know.

>Have you ever heard of the concept of self-defense?  It is OK to kill someone
>if it is necessary to stop them from killing you or some other innocent person

Not everyone who dies in a war were going to kill somebody. Were the
citizens of Hiroshima or Dresden about to kill somebody? Certainly, we
had to win WWII, but you make it sound like every enemy casualty was
some kind of monster. More on this subject in later flame...

--

In article <159@pyuxii.UUCP> tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) writes:
>Please, Charlie, don't lump everyone who has an aversion
>to abortion into the same pile.
>Well, your wrong.  The world is not that easily
>defined.  The abortion question covers people in all walks
>of life with diversity of opinion that would challange Solomon.
>T. C. Wheeler

Thanx T.C., now let's see, where were we... oh yeah we were busy lumping
all the women who want abortions into the same pile...