[net.abortion] 2nd Annual REFUTATION OF CRITICS :->

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (07/13/85)

Charles Forsythe writes in <346@mit-vax.UUCP>:
>Sorry I missed your arguement in previous postings, but this seems
>absurd. What if the woman's (or man's) birth control fail? Does that
>mean she secretly wanted the fetus?

My argument was that people (or their moral equivalents) have a right
not to be disturbed in a harmful way from the condition in which they
naturally find themselves.  This gives the woman the right in the case
of rape to her original condition (nonpregnancy); but when the new
condition is not brought about against her will, the fetus (if it counts
as having rights) has the right to be left in *its* condition.  (I got the
rights principle out of a consideration of the "siamese twins" case.)

>This is a dangerous assertion. Sentience is still a raging philisophical
>debate. Consider AI: if a truly intelligent computer were built such
>that it could see, feel, hear and interpret these to produce responses
>suitable for human cognition (ie experience), then that would suggest
>sentient MINERAL life.

Fine.  Let's get "dangerous".

>Also, from your definition, almost all non-fetal animal life is sentient
>as well as an incredible amount of vegtable life.

Vegetables aren't sentient, they don't even have nervous systems.  Yes,
most animals are sentient -- so what?  There are degrees of sentience,
corresponding to the richness of variety of experiences a thing is
capable of.  But *once an individual animal has any experiences, it
deserves the same consideration given to the adult it will become.*

From: liz@tove.UUCP (Liz Allen)
>It is quite difficult to determine when a fetus becomes sentient by
>your definition because of the limits of technology.  According to
>_The Zero People_[1], a 48 day old fetus will twist and turn away when
>his upper lip is stroked by a fine hair.

It's difficult, but that's life.  Better to use a difficult but
*relevant* criterion, than to use an easy one which corresponds
to no morally significant distinction.
					--Paul V Torek, the undaunted