[net.abortion] Whose

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/08/85)

> > It seems to me that since the fetus of 1 minute and the child of one
> > month differ only in the amount of time since conception.  They
> > share the same genetic information, and are thus the same person.

Oh, then why bother going through this silly process known as pregnancy?
If they are the same person, then let's pop them out of the oven right
after conception.  It would save some of us women a lot of trouble.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

tdn@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Thomas Newton) (07/11/85)

> > > It seems to me that since the fetus of 1 minute and the child of one
> > > month differ only in the amount of time since conception.  They
> > > share the same genetic information, and are thus the same person.

> Oh, then why bother going through this silly process known as pregnancy?
> If they are the same person, then let's pop them out of the oven right
> after conception.  It would save some of us women a lot of trouble.

There are differences between the child of 5 years, the teenager of 15 years,
and the adult of 50 years, also.  Would you say that because the child of 5
years is fairly short and (almost always) not ready to attend college, s/he
is not the same person as the adult of 50 years who is much taller and has
much more knowledge?  Or would you claim that if they are the same person,
there is no need to bother going through the silly process of education?

Change in human beings is much more pronounced towards the beginning and end
of their lifetimes.  Does this really come as a surprise?

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (07/16/85)

}
[...]

Good point.  The main question is, why do these differences even make a
difference when it comes to whether or not we may end the life of certain
individuals?  Perhaps the first person here should have used the word
"individual" rather than "person".  Sophie (second quote) seems to take
"person" to mean "personality"; to her own advantage, of course.  I think
you have pointed out that using the length of a individual's life and the
experiences she has had (which go into making her the person she is, in
Sophie's sense of the word) as a basis for considering whether or not
we may kill that individual, does not make sense.  I hope that is not what
Sophie was trying to imply.
--

Paul Dubuc 	cbscc!pmd

seshadri@t12tst.UUCP (Raghavan Seshadri) (07/17/85)

> From: sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley)
>
> > > It seems to me that since the fetus of 1 minute and the child of one
> > > month differ only in the amount of time since conception.  They
> > > share the same genetic information, and are thus the same person.
>
> Oh, then why bother going through this silly process known as pregnancy?
> If they are the same person, then let's pop them out of the oven right
> after conception.  It would save some of us women a lot of trouble.
> --
> Sophie Quigley

The flaw in Sophie's argument is easy to spot.The phrase 'same person' was
meant in the sense of 'share the same genetic info',not 'identical in every
way'.When a child grows up to be an adult,we sort of assume it is the same
person but surely we do not treat them both the same way.Will you let your
5 year old cross a busy street,drive a car .....?
--
Raghu Seshadri

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/19/85)

>> Change in human beings is much more pronounced towards the beginning and end
>> of their lifetimes.  Does this really come as a surprise?

> Good point.  The main question is, why do these differences even make a
> difference when it comes to whether or not we may end the life of certain
> individuals?

Why do they make a difference?  Because according rights to people on
the basis that they contain certain genetic material is racism,
pure and simple.

Rights stem from values, which require a rational faculty.  The concept
of rights is meaningless to an entity that cannot form concepts.  And
if an entity CAN form concepts, genetic material is irrelevant.

plw@mgwess.UUCP (Pete Wilson) (07/20/85)

In article <4019@alice.UUCP> ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>Why do they make a difference?  Because according rights to people on
>the basis that they contain certain genetic material is racism,
>pure and simple.

On the other hand, it is genetic material which differentiates humans
from the other life forms on this planet. The genetic material, of
course, being that which gives us our physical form. I don't think
it has been proven that the same stuff gives us our "mental form".

>Rights stem from values, which require a rational faculty.  The concept
				^^^^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
>of rights is meaningless to an entity that cannot form concepts.  And
>if an entity CAN form concepts, genetic material is irrelevant.

Terrific! What say we save a bundle of bucks and "euthanize" all the
folks in mental institutions? These people obviously aren't rational
or they wouldn't be there.

The reason we don't is that they have passed some arbitrary (possibly
imaginary) point where they became "human beings".

	Pete Wilson
	AT&T IS CGBS
	Montgomery Works
	..!ihnp4!mgnetp!mgwess!plw

	<If life begins at 40, what is it that ends at 39?>

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (07/21/85)

> }> > > It seems to me that since the fetus of 1 minute and the child of one
> }> > > month differ only in the amount of time since conception.  They
> }> > > share the same genetic information, and are thus the same person.
> }
me:
> }> Oh, then why bother going through this silly process known as pregnancy?
> }> If they are the same person, then let's pop them out of the oven right
> }> after conception.  It would save some of us women a lot of trouble.
> }
Objections from different sources.

Ok, let me rephrase the above.  Of course the embryo of one minute and
the new-born child (or 7-8 month old fetus) share the same genetic
information and therefore are the same entity in different stages of
development.  However, they differ by much more than "the amount of
time since conception".  Their main difference is in their viability
outside their mother's body.  It is because of this difference that
some women feel a need to have an abortion in the first place. Unlike
the 1 minute blob and 3 month old embryo, the late fetus or new-born
child can survive out of it's mother's body, which easily shows that
some process of giving from the mother to the embryo has happened in
between.  This giving is of nurishment, and other unquantifiables.

Anybody who is ignoring that another person is intimately involved in
the development of embryos just to prove a point is acting in as much
bad faith as anybody who is pretending that embryos are not alive to
prove their own point.  Abortion is not a simple issue.  Presenting it
in simplistic terms is not going to resolve anything.  And nothing is
going to be resolved anyway because there is simply no resolution to
this problem.  There have always been and will always be women who will
need and have abortions, and there have always been and always will be
people who will object to this.  The truth is that abortion is not nice
(call it criminal, whatever) but unwanted pregnancy is just as bad, and
so far, we haven't found any way to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy
without abortions.  Technological solutions like processes for incubating
early embryos will only open other cans of worms, such as state
interference in the creation of people.