[net.abortion] My perspective.

sas@lanl.ARPA (07/24/85)

I hope that none of you think that abortion is a positive experience.
Most people of the pro-choice leaning that I know agree that abortion
is a big decision and that indiscriminate abortion is unhealthy for
both the would-be mother and the society she lives in.

Among the pro-lifers I know, I see more fanatacism but the view they
are fighting for is a little more critical to them.  I hope that
pro-choicers realize that they are fighting for a relatively minor
cause compared to the one of the pro-lifers (from their own perspective
of course).  Socially accepted murder vs. more government involvement
in personal decisions that cause non-trivial but rarely life-threatening
inconvenience.  I expect the pro-life movement to be a little exciteable
given what they feel is at stake.

The pro-choice movement is fighting for something not unlike (in
magnitude) what the NRA is fighting for.  (incidentally, I expect that
there are more pro-choice people who are anti-gun than there are pro-life
people who are pro-gun.)  The pro-gunners want the right to bear arms,
usually a convenience but conceivably the difference between life and
death.  Pro-gunners have really been challenged only on their right
to have easily concealable weapons inside certain high-crime areas and
to not have to register weapons.

The medical "facts" that have been used to support abortion all seem to
degenerate to the fact that it is easier to terminate a pregnancy than
to sustain it without benefit of a mother.  I am appalled at the number
of times I have seen the word "parasite" used.  When a woman voluntarily
has sex with a man, she "invites" the "little parasite" to take up
residence if she doesn't use birth control.  When a "couple" has sex
they take on the responsibility of pregnancy if they don't use effective
birth control.  It is sad to see so many viewing the issue as a
"responsibility" of society to "unburden" them from the biological facts
of reproduction.

The arguement that effective birth control is not available is weak.
It isn't amazing that birth control isn't 100% effective when it is
viewed as a right rather than a responsibility.  The Catholic church
(and probably others) feel that any form of birth control other than
that of knowledgeable abstinance is wrong.  Many responsible Catholics
succeed in limiting family size this way.  Many others use mechanical
methods of birth control much more effectively while others depend on
the pill.  These all have their limitations but if beeing "free from
birth" is important enough to you, you might use all of them!  I don't
find such a solution inconceivable when contraception is viewed as a
responsibility rather than a right.  When abortion is a 100% effective
form of birth control that requires no forethought, it is no wonder
so many desire it!  It is inconvenient that we as a species are so
fertile, but not very amazing when you consider our evolutionary
heritage.  We wouldn't be here if our genes dictated ZPG.  So if we
want ZPG we should accept it as a responsibility not a right! I might
listen to someone who

As has been pointed out in this newsgroup by some of the more polite and
less fanatic posters here, the abortion issue will not be resolved by
legislation either way.  The law now supports much of the abortion as
desired by pro-choice groups, and pro-life groups are bombing abortion
centers.  If abortion were again prohibited by law, pro-choice groups
would probably take over the violence.

I do not advocate strictly banning all abortion, it isn't enforceable
and I agree with pro-choicers that it isn't nice to mess in other
peoples lives.  I do, however, advocate a strong change in the social
environment that not only accepts abortion as birth control but seems
to encourage it.  Were abortion more frowned upon, I believe that many
more of the alternatives, (birth control, adoption, and unplanned
parenthood), would be more accepted.  I wonder how many of us would be
here today if our parents had accepted abortion as an acceptable form
of birth control.  Many of us probably were "mistakes" that were
nonetheless accepted and nurtured to what we are today.

I certainly would not accept the notion of government funded abortion
without mandatory sterilization.  What about government funded sterilization?
The biggest arguement I have seen for abortion is unwanted children and
ZPG.  If we beleive that abortion is strictly a social issue of unwanted
children and zero population growth then it would be criminal to deny
a person sterilization based on ability to pay.

While the denial of an abortion may seem a victimization of the woman
involved, isn't the widespread acceptance of abortion similar?  How
many women who don't want an abortion find themselves pressed toward it
by friends, family, coworkers, boyfriend or even husband.  How many
men have demanded that their spouse or girlfriend have an abortion?

					Steve Smith

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (07/29/85)

I think most of my arguments stand on their own, although they
were written as a rebuttal).

How can you say pro-choicers don't feel as strongly about the issue
as pro-lifers?  It is much, much, MUCH more than just "government
intervention."  It is taking away the basic human need of dignity
and the ability to do what one wants with ones own life.  It is
taking away so much of what women have gained in their fight for
equality.  I doubt very strongly that I will ever have an abortion,
and yet every time I think that right may be taken away, not just
from me, but from all women in every situation, a piece of me dies.
And if the pro-lifers win this fight, I will be devastated.  (And
I doubt I am the most emotional of the pro-choicers, or even close
to being the most emotional.)

To address just a few of your points (although I am sure I will
never convince you of anything, but I have to try):  No, a woman
is not INVITING pregnancy.  She is risking pregnancy.  A woman
who seeks an abortion is not "viewing the issue as a 'responsibility'
of society to 'unburden' them from the biological facts of repro-
duction."  She is merely claiming her right to do what she wishes
with her body.  It is NOT society's responsibility, which is
exactly the point.  Society's only responsibility is (to put it
mildly) to stay the hell out of her life.

Also, the only 100% effective methods of birth control are abstinence
and the pill.  I will not even argue the issue of abstinence with
you.  The pill can be quite dangerous for some people.  ALL forms
of birth control have their problems, and all are fallible.  And
I most certainly will not agree with you that all women should use
birth control or accept the consequences until this society takes a
stronger stand on requiring men to take responsibility for birth control.

Lastly, I don't think that anyone in their right minds uses abortion
simply as a method of birth control.  Women agonize over their choice,
but it must be THEIR choice!  It is a last resort.  I don't think
that anybody is encouraged to use abortion as a method of birth
control, but I don't think that tormenting those who do need to
have an abortion (yes, I said NEED) is any solution.  Education
would probably help, and open-mindedness in parents would certainly
help, but these things don't happen overnight. And yes, I agree
with you, no woman should be forced to have an abortion!  If she
chooses not to, it must be the father's responsibility to help
financially (and preferably emotionally, but that's almost
certainly impossible).  See discussion above of men's responsibility
for birth control.

	marie desjardins park

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (07/31/85)

Marie's article was interesting, though somewhat naive in one
area.  Abortion as a birth control method is very much an issue
in the discussions I have seen on this net.  The Planned
Parenthood office in our area encourages this form of birth
control and has discontinued counseling for other methods
of control.  Quite a few posters in this group defend abortion
as a method of birth control.  Some have gone so far as to
advocate abortion as a method of reducing the poor ethnic
populations in this country (a racist attitude if I ever heard
one).

I have no problems with your feelings about abortion Marie.
You seem to be thinking in a more serious vein than many of
the twits on the net who have only selfish motives for
advocating abortion.

T. C. Wheeler

mjv@ihu1e.UUCP (Vlach) (08/01/85)

> The Planned
> Parenthood office in our area encourages this form of birth
> control and has discontinued counseling for other methods
> of control.
>
> T. C. Wheeler

Do you go to Planned Parenthood?  Where did you hear this nonsense?  I have
been going to Planned Parenthood clinics for years, and they all DESPERATELY
want females to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  They provide birth control
counseling for many types of birth control, for both males and females.   I
will state with absolutely no doubt in my mind that there is not a single
Planned Parenthood in the WORLD that encourages the exclusive use of
abortions for birth control.  In other words, you are lying, bucko.

Marcia Bear

wine@homxa.UUCP (J.GORDON) (08/02/85)

T. C. Wheeler writes:

>Marie's article was interesting, though somewhat naive in one
>area.  Abortion as a birth control method is very much an issue
>in the discussions I have seen on this net.  The Planned
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
>Parenthood office in our area encourages this form of birth
>control and has discontinued counseling for other methods
>of control.  Quite a few posters in this group defend abortion
 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>as a method of birth control.  Some have gone so far as to
>advocate abortion as a method of reducing the poor ethnic
>populations in this country (a racist attitude if I ever heard
>one).

I don't know where Wheeler gets his information from.  All the Planned
Parenthood brochures I have ever seen stress other forms of birth
control.  When you walk into a Planned Parenthood office, there are
always piles of informative pamphlets on birth control methods, VD,
etc.  It is typical of pro-life advocates to spread false propaganda
about PP and other pro-choice counseling services.

To Tim Wheeler:

The next time you decide to propagate damaging "facts" about PP, etc.,
please back up your information -- where did you read the above "fact"
about your local office: in one of your pro-life journals, or in a
reputable newspaper?

                       Jim Gordon, Jr.

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (08/02/85)

In the first place, my name is not Tim so don't assume what you do
not know.

In the second place, my information comes from two women who went
to PP for birth control advice and were told to go to their own
doctor.  That's good enough for me.  The same information, from other
sources, has been printed on this net several times.  That is also
good enough for me.  PP in our area has turned into an abortion
clinic.  What they do in your areas I did not assume.  If you will
reread my posting, you will see I am talking about our local clinic.
So, twits, before you start yelling liar, take off your rose
colored glasses and join the real world.
T. C. Wheeler

mjv@ihu1e.UUCP (Vlach) (08/05/85)

> In the second place, my information comes from two women who went
> to PP for birth control advice and were told to go to their own
> doctor.  That's good enough for me.  The same information, from other
> sources, has been printed on this net several times.  That is also
> good enough for me.  PP in our area has turned into an abortion
> clinic.  What they do in your areas I did not assume.  If you will
> reread my posting, you will see I am talking about our local clinic.
> So, twits, before you start yelling liar, take off your rose
> colored glasses and join the real world.
> T. C. Wheeler

Planned Parenthood does not vary their views from site to site.  They have
ONE general philosophy, which is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.  Note
that this is the PREVENTION, not the aborting, of unwanted pregnancies.
This has always been their goal, and I can not believe this would be
different at any PP clinic in the world, let alone this country.  In fact,
all the PP clinics I know of don't do ANY abortions, although they will
refer people to places that will do them.  Their entire emphasis is on
birth control.  I support PP and have done a lot of research on them and
birth control in general.  Perhaps you were confusing some other clinic
with Planned Parenthood and not meaning to mislead.   But it sounds a lot
like false propaganda to me.  If you would care to send me the phone # of
this supposed PP clinic that only does abortions, I would be glad to call
them and give a reader report.

yours truly,
Marcia Bear