[net.abortion] To Steve Smith

arndt@lymph.DEC (08/05/85)

I agree with most of your posting about the flame content on this net.
However, the argument turns EXACTLY upon the issue of whether or not
the act of abortion IS murder!!!  The actual taking of a human life for
reasons not having to do with another life in balance (vs the quality - a
phoney issue - of another life).

Therefore to take a position that abortion IS such and as such is murder
is NOT, repeat NOT namecalling or anything like "asshole", etc.

If I cannot make that statement than you forgo discussion about the issue!
THAT after all is why those who oppose abortion are against it!!!  All the
acting by 'pro-choice' people that we are meanies who want to make women
do the moral equivalent of buying our brand of soap to the contrary.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (08/07/85)

KEN ARNDT writes to STEVE SMITH:

> I agree with most of your posting about the flame content on this net.
> However, the argument turns EXACTLY upon the issue of whether or not
> the act of abortion IS murder!!!  The actual taking of a human life for
> reasons not having to do with another life in balance (vs the quality - a
> phoney issue - of another life).

Mr. Arndt, I'm as anti-abortion as anyone on this net, having been willing
to forbid abortion EVEN IF the fetus is not a human life merely to protect
the father's right to procreate.  But "murder" is a technical legal term,
not equivalent to what you say it is.  (Example:  you wake up at night
and hear a noise in the hall.  You grab your NRA-approved shotgun from
under your pillow.  A Burglar, complete with eye-mask and sack, enters
your bedroom door.  BLAM!!!  Killing a human?  Yes.  Murder?  No, even
if he had no weapon, and your life was not in the balance.)  "Murder"
is what the LAW says murder is, since it is a legal term.  Even when
abortion was illegal, abortionists were not charged with murder.  You
want abortion to be murder?  Get the law changed to make it so!  Me,
I don't care what they call it so long as they stop it.

				-- Matt Rosenblatt

"Hocus, locus, jocus", meaning,
"To the landlord belong the doorknobs."