[net.abortion] Some Doctors agree with Arndt, . . . Gosh!

arndt@squirt.DEC (08/15/85)

From a recent Church newspaper:

"Sixty prominent physicians have recently declared that the 'biological
facts' show that the unborn are living human beings.  The doctors, including
two past presidents of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology,
signed a statement aimed at SHIFTING THE FOCUS OF THE DEBATE AWAY FROM RELIGION
AND MAKING IT A BIOLOGICAL FACT. (italics mine)  The statement says in part
that 'a human ovum fertilized by a human sperm produces a BIOLOGICALLY
IDENTIFIABLE (italics mine again,- Tanenbaum, et al take note!) human embryo.
That embryo contains all the essential biological material and genitic
information required for complete celular maturation, human tissue and organ
development."

I realize this doesn't fit some people's ideology!  But let's realize that
there ARE 'scientists' (wave your magic twanger, froggy!) out there who take
the same stand as the anti-abortion people.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (08/17/85)

> [Ken Arndt]
> From a recent Church newspaper:
> "Sixty prominent physicians have recently declared that the 'biological
> facts' show that the unborn are living human beings.  The doctors, including
> two past presidents of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology,
> signed a statement aimed at SHIFTING THE FOCUS OF THE DEBATE AWAY FROM RELIGION
> AND MAKING IT A BIOLOGICAL FACT. (italics mine)  The statement says in part
> that 'a human ovum fertilized by a human sperm produces a BIOLOGICALLY
> IDENTIFIABLE (italics mine again,- Tanenbaum, et al take note!) human embryo.
> That embryo contains all the essential biological material and genitic
> information required for complete celular maturation, human tissue and organ
> development."
----------------------------------
OK, I took note.  Let's repeat the statement.
"A human ovum fertilized by a human sperm produces a biologically identifiable
human embryo. That embryo contains all the essential biological material and
genetic information required for complete cellular maturation, human tissue
and organ development."
I agree! (Surprise!) However, it is still a matter of definition whether
the embryo is a human being or merely a potential human being.  It is also
a matter of definition if the embryo is alive or not.  Ken Arndt et. al. claim
that the embryo is alive and is a human being.  Rich Rosen et. al. claim the
reverse.  Both Arndt and Rosen claim that this justifies their positions
on abortion.  I think both are wrong.  I think the definitions are irrelevant.
In my opinion, we have a classic case of a choice of the lesser of two evils:
1)the destruction of an embryo
2)an unwanted pregnancy
I personally fell, unlike some "pro-choicers", that the embryo does have
an intrinsic value.  However, to give it FULL human rights, as most
"pro-lifers" desire, would make users of the IUD and other similar
contraceptives premeditated murderers, subject to the death penalty
in those jurisdictions that have one.  I hope that Ken Arndt does not
favor this.  I think, however, that it does logically follow from giving
full human rights to fetuses.  Exactly what rights a fetus should have
at what stage of development is one of those difficult issues that
reasonable people can disagree on.  I'll leave that one alone for now.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/20/85)

In article <1097@ihlpg.UUCP> tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) writes:

>In my opinion, we have a classic case of a choice of the lesser of two evils:
>1)the destruction of an embryo
>2)an unwanted pregnancy

Exactly.  An abortion is not a good thing.  Neither is an unwanted
pregnancy.  But when you don't want to be pregnant and you take the
precautions to prevent pregnancy, or don't take them out of ignorance,
or are denied the opportunity, and you get pregnant anyway (or your wife
does, or your daughter), what do you do?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that it depends on why you don't
want to be pregnant.

I would consider an abortion an acceptable alternative only if the
pregnancy put my life in danger.  I do not, however, expect everyone
to accept my way of life.  I do expect that, as reasonable, intelligent,
and mature adults, (we are, aren't we? :-) ) we can reach a consensus
of sorts.

I would propose the following guidelines for the acceptability of
abortion.  Note, please, that they are not my personal guidelines.
They are guidelines that I think would be widely (though not universally)
acceptable.  If you don't like them, note (without shouting, please!)
*why* you disagree.  Be reasonable.  You might persuade me (or some
other reasonable person) to change.

Abortions are not acceptable:
	- for any reason, if there is a reasonable chance that the
	  fetus, if delivered, would survive (i.e., last trimester).
	  If the woman wishes to terminate the pregnancy during this
	  time, she could have a competent physician induce delivery
	  (by C-section, or whatever).  The infant should then receive
	  the same medical care as any other premature infant.  If the
	  mother does not want the child, it can be put up for adoption
	  or placed in foster care.
	  Justification:  it seems unreasonable to destroy a fetus if
	  you could nearly as easily allow it to survive
	- if the only reason for the abortion is that the child may be
	  handicapped.  Again, if the mother does not want the child,
	  it can be put up for adoption or placed in foster care.
	  Justification:  I'm afraid of the logical extensions of a
	  policy that allows the abortion of handicapped fetuses -
	  the killing of handicapped newborns follows (and has already
	  begun), and I see no logical or reasonable end.

Abortions are acceptable:
	- if the pregnancy endangers the mother's life or long-term
	  health
	  Justification:  it seems reasonable to take a life in order
	  to save a life
	- if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest
	  Justification:  I have none, but rape and incest seem to be
	  widely considered special cases, and I believe it would be
	  impossible to gain a consensus without including this
	- before the fetus's central nervous system begins to function
	  Justification: when a person's brain ceases to function, we
	  consider them to be dead.  It seems reasonable, therefore,
	  that when a fetus's brain begins to function, we would
	  consider it alive.

This is certainly not an all-inclusive list of possibilities.  It
includes only those which I believe are suitable for a theoretical
discussion (i.e., which are reasonably unambiguous and which seem
possible to reach a consensus on).  If anyone would like to add to
either list (again, giving reasonable justification), please do.

		charli