[net.abortion] Some Doctors agree with Arndt, . . . Gosh! But!

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy ) (08/20/85)

In article <3658@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@squirt.DEC writes:

>From a recent Church newspaper:
>
>"Sixty prominent physicians have recently declared that the 'biological
>facts' show that the unborn are living human beings.  The doctors, including

>Regards,
>
>Ken Arndt

The question of living human being or not is not a scientific question. The
type of questions that are scietific are: Is the fetus viable, what does it
look like, does it respond to stimulus etc. These are only loosely related
to the question of being human. Being human is a question of definition.
That is what aspects of a being are necessary and sufficient for one to call
it human.

The definition of human has varied widely from time to time and from people
to people as has been amply discussed on this net.

One person has suggested the idea of two stages of being human. One that
begins with conception and the other which perhaps starts around the time
of birth which is necessary for a being to be a human being. I think this
is a reasonable definition. There is also data to support the idea that
something happens after conception that makes a step change in the nature
of the being. People have been interviewed under hypnosis and have report
events which occurred around the 6th  month after conception which seem
to support the idea that the soul enters the body at that time.

This is the only data that I have seen which supports any stage of
development being necessary to be fully human. It is interesting to note
that the time pretty much corresponds with the Supreme Court decisions.

I reiterate however that I am a man and thus this is provided for information
only. I don't believe that men should have any say in the question of
abortion.

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (08/26/85)

In article <378@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy (Veh. Systems)) writes:

>I reiterate however that I am a man and thus this is provided for information
>only. I don't believe that men should have any say in the question of
>abortion.

Mr. Foy has said this a number of times.  If he doesn't want to have any
say in the argument, that's his business (and it makes me wonder why he
posts to this news-group, since it is not hard to infer his position
from his statements).

However, the statements "men should have no say in the question of
abortion" seems to me to be logically equivalent to any of the
following statements:

"Persons living in north of the Mason-Dixon line should have had no
say in the question of slavery."  Abolition affected (and may have
caused economic harm to) Southern slave-owners, not northerners.

"Persons living in the United States (Canada, Europe) shoud have no
say in the question of apartheid."

"Persons . . . "

Well, you get my point.  If a person believes a question is a matter of
morality, not a question of economics or convenience, then his sex,
race, nationality, and the like do not affect whether he is competent to
address the question.  (Admittedly, his sex, race, nationality, and the
like may be important to his opinion, and may need to be considered when
evaluating the validity or importance of his opinion.)

		charli