[net.abortion] Seven-month gestation

features@ihuxf.UUCP (aMAZon) (09/10/85)

Matt Rosenblatt writes:
> If Mr. Rosen is saying either that the seven-month fetus cannot be removed at
> seven months and be an autonomous human being, he is wrong.  Before the days
> of sophisticated neonatal life-support equipment and techniques, premature
> babies of seven months' gestation did survive -- one of them works right
> here in my laboratory.

I was a 7-month preemie in 1955; I was stuck in an incubator for
33 days after my birth, and I was fortunate that I did not
go bline (rumor has it that 55 was a bad year for blindness in
preemies).  Incubators are not as "high tech" as what's available
for preemies now!

If I'd have been asked, I would have preferred to go home with
my mother and taken my chances at survival.  Of course, no
one asked.
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features