[net.abortion] child of a fiend

myke@gitpyr.UUCP (Myke Reynolds) (10/09/85)

/////\\\\///////\\\\\//////\\\\\///////\\\\\\//////\\\\\//////\\\\\//////

Paul M. Dubuc writes:
>Rape cases seem to have a special value to the pro-choice camp in
>justifying abortion on demand as a whole.

As for myself, I don't think abortions in cases of rape have any bearing on
abortion on demand. The salient point is that at one time not even these cases
were acceptable. The fact that you are completely blind to the incredibley
gruesome social evils this brought about does little for the reasonability of
your argument against abortion on demand.

>[rationalization about abortion being more traumatic then bringing
> to term the child of the man who tried to kill you skipped.]

>>If you could overcome those feelings and not let that affect the way you
>>treat the child then you are a good man. Probably, most people are not that
>>good.
>Should most people not try to be that "good"?
Immaterial, you want to *force* them to be that "good".

>I can somewhat imagine my own daughter in this light.  I think that as
>she grew and I got to know her more for who she *is, herself*--seeing
>her run and play, laugh and cry, etc.--I would become more convinced that
>any such association of hate with her would be totally unfounded.  I know
>there are couples who have had this experience.  The same may be said for
>stigmas that are attached to women and Blacks.  We may take them for
>granted when we view such people as objects, but get to know some of them
>and you come to realize that stigmas are foolish.  This is not to say
>that the process of overcoming them is easy.  It isn't.  But since when do
>we judge the right or wrong of such stigmas by their difficulty in being
>overcome?

Besides the obvious fact that we always have (its called taboo), you do not
abort children, you abort amorphous blobs of cells. Once a child is born,
*especially* in this sort of case, you have no business ever looking back.
If you think you would have the emotional fortitude to go through a rape and
then raise the child of the man who raped you, then more power to you. No matter
how righteous you see yourself, I see you to be almost as evil as the rapist
himself to *force* a woman to bear such a child, all for the sake of a mindless
mass of cells.
--
Myke Reynolds
Office of Telecommunications and Networking

Too bad all the people that know how to run this
country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.
	-George Burns