[net.abortion] more on feminism

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (11/06/85)

>   By Matt's reasoning (in which you can state that someone isn't "equal"
> if doing so causes you harm), we can simply claim that women "shouldn't"
> be treated equally, because doing so would cause problems. [RICH ROSEN]

This is a part of Mr. Rosen's article to which I did not respond earlier,
so I will respond now:

AT LAST MR. ROSEN HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!  He understands precisely
what I mean when I say that the feminist principle of equality cannot be
taken as an absolute, because to do so would cause problems.  IF APPLYING
THE PRINCIPLE IN A PARTICULAR AREA WOULD CAUSE MORE DAMAGE THAN GOOD,
THE PEOPLE HAVE A *RIGHT* NOT TO APPLY IT IN THAT AREA.  Isn't that just
common sense and good civics?

Example 1:  ABORTION.  Now, there are many arguments for abortion on
demand not based on equality.  But if the only justification for abortion
on demand were the so-called "equal access to pleasure" for women and men,
we would weigh the benefits of equality to the 1.5 million women who get
abortions against the damages of death for the 1.5 fetuses who get aborted.
If we then concluded that the evil of 1.5 million fetal deaths outweighed
the relief provided to the 1.5 million women, this would be an area where
the value of EQUALITY would have to yield to the value of LIFE.

Example 2:  MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE.  As I've written before, feminist-
inspired easy-divorce legislation has backfired.  Designed to "liberate"
those women whose marriages were not allowing them enough room to "grow"
and "fulfill themselves," this legislation has done so -- for SOME women.
Far more women, however, who were benefiting from the legal protection of
divorce-only-for-cause, have lost that protection, they and their children
suffering a drastic drop in living standards after divorce.  There you go
-- equality in the opportunity to leave a marriage has hurt more women
than it has helped.  In this area, the value of EQUALITY should yield
to the value of PROTECTING THE WEAK.

My point is, and always has been, that if you take ANY value, even
the ones I believe in (viz., Truth, Justice, Freedom, Ivy and the
American Way), and hold it as an absolute, nullifying any competing
values that get in its way, you can do more evil than good.

						-- Matt Rosenblatt

----------
"Once to every man and nation
 Comes the moment to decide,
 In the strife of Light and Darkness,
 For the Good or Evil side."
				-- Lowell

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (11/07/85)

In article <2873@brl-tgr.ARPA> matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) writes:
>the value of EQUALITY would have to yield to the value of LIFE.

What is the value of life?

>than it has helped.  In this area, the value of EQUALITY should yield
>to the value of PROTECTING THE WEAK.

Jesus said that the meek shall inherit the Earth. I don't think they
need your help, Matt.

Frankly, I'm a little tired of being protected. The authorities tell me
that I can't drink alchohol -- for my own good. I suppose you would
lobby to protect me from the perils of ethanol as well?

>My point is, and always has been, that if you take ANY value, even
>the ones I believe in (viz., Truth, Justice, Freedom, Ivy and the
>American Way), and hold it as an absolute, nullifying any competing
>values that get in its way, you can do more evil than good.

Hmmm. You mean like nullifying the value of EQUALITY?

--
-Charles

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/07/85)

>>   By Matt's reasoning (in which you can state that someone isn't "equal"
>> if doing so causes you harm), we can simply claim that women "shouldn't"
>> be treated equally, because doing so would cause problems. [RICH ROSEN]

> This is a part of Mr. Rosen's article to which I did not respond earlier,
> so I will respond now:
> AT LAST MR. ROSEN HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!  He understands precisely
> what I mean when I say that the feminist principle of equality cannot be
> taken as an absolute, because to do so would cause problems.  IF APPLYING
> THE PRINCIPLE IN A PARTICULAR AREA WOULD CAUSE MORE DAMAGE THAN GOOD,
> THE PEOPLE HAVE A *RIGHT* NOT TO APPLY IT IN THAT AREA.  Isn't that just
> common sense and good civics?  [ROSENBLATT]

No, of course not, it's self-centered Rosenblattism at its finest!!!
The perfect example is slavery in this country.  By Matt's brilliant
reasoning, the fact that allowing black slaves to be freed would cause
damage to plantation owners and to the southern economy at large OVERRODE
the slaves' rights to be free.  I've said this a thousand times:  those
who complain about how these newfangled ways of giving freedom to all
people would take "freedom" (i.e., exploitative privileges and benefits) away
from THEM are nothing but selfcentered boors who feel that their rights
to their precious benefits at the expense of other people outweigh the
rights of those other people.  The crass vulgar insensitivity of this
is appalling, but of course given your other "ideas" it is not surprising.
Have you and Don Black formed that club yet?  You and he talk so much alike
it isn't funny.

> Example 1:  ABORTION.  Now, there are many arguments for abortion on
> demand not based on equality.  But if the only justification for abortion
> on demand were the so-called "equal access to pleasure" for women and men,
> we would weigh the benefits of equality to the 1.5 million women who get
> abortions against the damages of death for the 1.5 fetuses who get aborted.

Of course, we have never considered the "benefits of equality" for rocks
that get munged in the course of roadbuilding, or cattle that get slaughtered
for food.  Perhaps because they are not entitled to "human rights".  Just
as a non-viable fetus is not entitled to human rights.  (So odd that you
never responded to the points regarding the decision of the Arizona Supreme
Court, or other related points about viability, great legal eagle that you
are.)

> If we then concluded that the evil of 1.5 million fetal deaths outweighed
> the relief provided to the 1.5 million women, this would be an area where
> the value of EQUALITY would have to yield to the value of LIFE.

Can you give us a reason to do this in light of the non-viability of said
fetuses?  And I mean a VIABLE reason, not just your "disgust"...

> Example 2:  MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE.  As I've written before, feminist-
> inspired easy-divorce legislation has backfired.  Designed to "liberate"
> those women whose marriages were not allowing them enough room to "grow"
> and "fulfill themselves," this legislation has done so -- for SOME women.
> Far more women, however, who were benefiting from the legal protection of
> divorce-only-for-cause, have lost that protection, they and their children
> suffering a drastic drop in living standards after divorce.  There you go
> -- equality in the opportunity to leave a marriage has hurt more women
> than it has helped.  In this area, the value of EQUALITY should yield
> to the value of PROTECTING THE WEAK.

Odd that you know so little about divorce.  Easy divorce only takes place
with the willing consent of both parties.  Of course, you neglect in your
statistics the number of women who left marriages to disturbed or abusive
husbands, claiming in your usual anti-feminist (let's face it, anti-women)
attitudes that such divorces are motivated by desires to "grow" and "fulfill
themselves" (your quotation marks make the whole idea of women seeking their
own destiny sound so very flippant---what ARE you afraid of?).  You find
the possibility of women finding more opportunity to leave such relationships
a negative.  Why?

> My point is, and always has been, that if you take ANY value, even
> the ones I believe in (viz., Truth, Justice, Freedom, Ivy and the
> American Way), and hold it as an absolute, nullifying any competing
> values that get in its way, you can do more evil than good.

But you have, of course, NEVER to this date shown one example of where more
"evil" IS done as a result of promoting equality.  All you have shown is that
your perspective is that anything that inhibits your existing "rights" is
deemed universally evil.
--
"to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best night and day
 to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human

myke@gitpyr.UUCP (Myke Reynolds) (12/28/85)

(Ray Frank) writes:
>The word 'baby' only seo those very few who seem to want
>to make an issue out of words that don't serve their own personal interests.
>I, on the other hand could'nt care less if using the word 'baby' offends any-
>one, that is their own problem and doesn't concern me.

Great.
Who cares?
Why did you post this..
--
Myke Reynolds
Office of Telecommunications and Networking

"Drawing from my fine command of the english language, I said nothing."