[net.abortion] Oleg Kiselev does not like Charli Phillips

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/30/85)

No apologies....

As for Biblical quotes, the difficulty is that I don't own a Bible. I
used to, but after reading it I have elected to save the space on the
bookshelf for books more important and dear to me. So, there is a problem
with availability of sources (maybe my memory is getting weak -- I doubt it!)

As for St. Thomas, I have read him and enjoyed some of his stuff ( such as
a proposition that Satan does not exist). I also remember a few remarks
about inferiority of women. In general, Christian philosophers of that period
tended to think of women as non-human, as God's mistakes, as defective
men, other wonderful ideas.

As for quotes, I'll start with this:

		"For the husband is the head of the wife, as
		Christ is head of the church"
		                           Ephessians 5:23

More on that in January (he-he-he, thought you a rid of me? ;-) when I'll have
time to look up all the wonderful things about your religion you'd rather ignore
(and that's excluding Inquisition and Dominicans)
--
Disclamer: I don't work here anymore - so they are not responsible for me.
+-------------------------------+ Don't bother, I'll find the door!
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (12/31/85)

In article <218@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>No apologies....
>
>As for Biblical quotes, the difficulty is that I don't own a Bible. I
>used to, but after reading it I have elected to save the space on the
>bookshelf for books more important and dear to me. So, there is a problem
>with availability of sources (maybe my memory is getting weak -- I doubt it!)
>
>As for St. Thomas, I have read him and enjoyed some of his stuff ( such as
>a proposition that Satan does not exist). I also remember a few remarks
>about inferiority of women. In general, Christian philosophers of that period
>tended to think of women as non-human, as God's mistakes, as defective
>men, other wonderful ideas.
>
>As for quotes, I'll start with this:
>
>		"For the husband is the head of the wife, as
>		Christ is head of the church"
>		                           Ephessians 5:23
>
>More on that in January (he-he-he, thought you a rid of me? ;-) when I'll have
>time to look up all the wonderful things about your religion you'd rather ignore
>(and that's excluding Inquisition and Dominicans)

Even though he says "No apologies", I have to assume Mr. Kiselev has backed
down from his original proposition that St. Paul and St. Thomas claim sexual
pleasure is evil.  Otherwise I'm at a loss to explain why he changed the
subject in this last posting to the status of women.

If I'm wrong, Mr. Kiselev, if you still maintain (without being able to
support your claim with quotations) that Christianity holds pleasure to be
evil, please say so instead of just leaving us to guess.

And I'd certainly rather not ignore Dominicans.  Some of my best friends...
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

garys@bunkerb.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (12/31/85)

In article <218@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) writes:

> As for Biblical quotes, the difficulty is that I don't own a Bible. I
> used to, but after reading it I have elected to save the space on the
> bookshelf for books more important and dear to me.

How openminded of you.  My shelves have room for books of opposing
views; why don't yours?  (Rhetorical question; answer not required).

You must be a wonder.  You read the bible (some of it?  once?)
and knew enough about it to decide that it wasn't worth two inches
of shelf space.

> As for St. Thomas, I have read him and enjoyed some of his stuff (such as
> a proposition that Satan does not exist). I also remember a few remarks
> about inferiority of women. In general, Christian philosophers of that period
> tended to think of women as non-human, as God's mistakes, as defective
> men, other wonderful ideas.

I guess even Christian philosophers make mistakes.  Saying "in general"
admits that other Christian philosophers didn't share the notion that
women were inferior.  You appear to think that the ones which thought
women inferior had a better understanding of Christianity than the ones
who thought otherwise; why do you think that?  And how about non-Christian
philosophers?  Didn't they also, "in general," think of women as inferior?
If so, you can't blame Christianity for an attitude which was prevalent
regardless.

> As for quotes, I'll start with this:
>
>		"For the husband is the head of the wife, as
>		Christ is head of the church"
>		                           Ephesians 5:23

This is one of the favorite quotes of opponents of Christianity.
It is, of course, taken out of context.

	5:21:  "Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God."

First Paul says that every Christian is expected to be willing to submit
to every other Christian.   He then gives examples of how husbands and
wives, children and parents, servants and masters are to submit one to
another:

	5:22:  "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as
		unto the Lord..."
	5:25:  "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the
		church and gave himself for it..."

Most people don't seem to read this far.  Maybe the rest of the chapter
is missing in some Bibles?

Christ gave his all for the church.  And husbands are supposed to love
their wives as much as Christ loved the church, a hard act to follow.

	6:1:   "Children, obey your parents in the Lord..."
	6:4:   "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath..."

Children are supposed to obey their parents, but parents have to
be reasonable.

	6:5-8: "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters
		according to the flesh...not with eyeservice, as men-
		pleasers, but as the servants of Christ...with good will
		doing service as to the Lord, and not to men, knowing
		that whatever good thing ay man doeth, the same shall
		he receive from the Lord, whether he be bond or free."

In our culture, we have "employees" instead of "servants" and "supervisors"
instead of "masters," but the principles are still applicable.

	6:9:   "And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing
		threatening, knowing that your Master also is in heaven;
		neither is there respect of persons with him."

On the last, that God is no respecter of persons, Paul says this to
the Galatians (3:28) "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither
bond nor free, there is neither male nor female; for ye are all one
in Christ Jesus."  Sounds pretty egalitarian to me.

>(and that's excluding Inquisition and Dominicans)

Good.  One less straw man to worry about.  I call it a straw man
because no one that I know of has advocated the practices of the
Inquisition recently, and yet people keep criticizing Christianity
on that account.

Gary Samuelson