[net.abortion] A nonreligious anti-murder stance

meyer_2@h-sc1.UUCP (peter meyer) (01/05/86)

It doesn't seem to me that an anti-murder stance which avoids
religious references needs to be so tentative as Adrian Kent's,
which I just received.  If murder were acceptable generally it would
be very difficult to maintain a society as complex as the one
we live in.  (In fact, I think it would be impossible.)  If the
leaders of any political faction could simply be killed by their
opponents it would be awfully difficult to make intelligent
decisions.  Such a society would be easily outcompeted by one
in which human life (post-birth) were given more respect.
So to maintain the complicated civilization we have now, from
which we derive great benefits, we have to make person-to-person
murder basically illegal (with minor exceptions for self-defense,
perhaps suicide, etc).

Society could exist whether or not abortion is allowed.
It is somewhat easier to keep society at top efficiency if we
allow abortion, however.  For this reason (and others) I think
it makes sense to make murder illegal but abortion legal.

Peter Meyer

Disclaimer:  Any resemblance between the opinions expressed above and
those of any other person, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

garys@bunker.UUCP (Gary M. Samuelson) (01/09/86)

In article <863@h-sc1.UUCP> meyer_2@h-sc1.UUCP (peter meyer) writes:
> If murder were acceptable generally it would
> be very difficult to maintain a society as complex as the one
> we live in.  (In fact, I think it would be impossible.)

You have already assumed that it is desirable to maintain a
society as complex as the one we live in.  I'm sure you have
many reasons why you personally find that desirable, but other
people think that a return to a simpler society would be a
good idea.  So why should we assume that "a society as complex
as the one we live in" should be considered desirable for all?

(NB: For those who love to misinterpret articles, I didn't say
that those who advocate a simpler society also advocate murder;
I am only challenging the assumption that our current, complex
society is inherently desirable.)

> If the
> leaders of any political faction could simply be killed by their
> opponents it would be awfully difficult to make intelligent
> decisions.

On the other hand, it would certainly provide an incentive to
think a lot before making decisions.  It gives new meaning to
the concept of holding one's leaders accountable, does it not?

> Such a society would be easily outcompeted by one
> in which human life (post-birth) were given more respect.

What does the above claim mean?  That a society with little
respect for human life would be easily replaced by one with
one with much respect? It seems to me that there are several
societies extant today where human life per se is given little
or no respect, yet they seem to be holding their own.

And if high respect for post-birth human life yields a society
which "competes better," why wouldn't respect for all human life
yield a society which competes even better?

> So to maintain the complicated civilization we have now, from
> which we derive great benefits...

Which "we" are you talking about?  What about those who don't
feel they derive great benefits from the complicated civilization
we have now?  What about those who feel that they would (or do)
derive great benefit from being absolute rulers over others?
Why should your concept of benefit be considered inherently
superior to these others?

> we have to make person-to-person
> murder basically illegal (with minor exceptions for self-defense,
> perhaps suicide, etc).

Suicide?  What possible reason could you have for wanting to make
suicide illegal?

>Society could exist whether or not abortion is allowed.
>It is somewhat easier to keep society at top efficiency if we
>allow abortion, however.

Fascinating.  Pray tell, what does it mean "to keep society at
top efficiency"?  How does one measure the ease of doing that
with a society?  How many societies have been measured, and what
other variables (besides the legality of abortion) affect this
quantity?

Gary Samuelson

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/11/86)

**

	I am an agnostic with a negative bias against organized
religion.

	I have always thought that there were purely pragmatic
reasons that stopped people from killing each other aside
from laws or moral standards.

	The most obvious one is the fact that humans, like prarie
dogs and other creatures, are social animals.   We need each other
to survive.   Language, something that is uniquely human, is "given"
to us by our society.   Our language influences our very thoughts.
When one person kills another, he can hurt him or her self also.
If society is negatively influenced, it degrades the quality of life
for everyone, even the murderer.

	What influence does murdering another have on the quality of
life of a murderer?   In our society it would degrade the quality of
life for most people.  Who wants to be friends with a murderer?
Even if it was completely legal, a murderer is likely to be shunned
by most people.   Job opportunities would be limited.

	It is true that in the U.S. there are people for whom the quality
of their life is improved if they become a murderer.  For instance,
a member of a prison gang that murders a snitch.   Of course, laws,
morality, and so on have little to do with that situation.  Can you
fault a person if he stabs a snitch to aviod being gang-raped to death?

	Most people try to get along with their fellow humans because
it makes life much more pleasant and easy.  The motive may be selfish,
but it is honest.   The idea that people do not kill each other
because of laws or because of moral standards seems unlikely to me.
What difference does my or anyone elses religious preference have
to do with me or anyone else wanting to have an enjoyable life?

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software