[net.abortion] true story and a question or two

bdb@edsel.UUCP (BD Bolan) (03/19/86)

     I have a friend whom has had an abortion. She was 15 at the time.
It appears that she was not emotionally fit to carry a child. She also
did not love the father.  That is not really that important to the story
though.  She recently called me and she was depressed.  I found out why...

     She is currently 18 years old and she is using the pill as a form of
contrasepive.  In late January she was a week early on her period, she also
suffered from severe cramps.  She was awaken later that night by cramps.
She noticed blood everywhere.  She rushed to the hospital and found she had
a miscarriage.

     Now that you have the basic story.  I have a few questions, please pardon
my ignorance.  1)  Is it possible that she may never carry a child to term due
to her abortion?  If it is, I feel that that is a crime in itself.  2) Is this
one of the effects of the pill?  Please note, My friend was not AWARE that she
was PREGNANT!!  3) Is there any kind of test that she can have to see if she
can carry to term, or if she would have to have a bed pregnancy?

     I am not sure if this belongs here, but, when in dought.....

     It also has something to do with the newsgroup....

                                              Thanks,

                                                   Brian Bolan

     Ps...  If you care to flame me for subject matter, feel free but, I can
only say it's part of the story.

:w

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (03/20/86)

In article <335@edsel.UUCP> bdb@edsel.UUCP (BD Bolan) writes:

>     I have a friend whom has had an abortion. She was 15 at the time.
>
>     She is currently 18 years old and she is using the pill as a form of
>contrasepive.  In late January she was a week early on her period, she also
>suffered from severe cramps.  She was awaken later that night by cramps.
>She noticed blood everywhere.  She rushed to the hospital and found she had
>a miscarriage.
>
>     Now that you have the basic story.  I have a few questions, please pardon
>my ignorance.  1)  Is it possible that she may never carry a child to term due
>to her abortion?  If it is, I feel that that is a crime in itself.  2) Is this
>one of the effects of the pill?  Please note, My friend was not AWARE that she
>was PREGNANT!!  3) Is there any kind of test that she can have to see if she
>can carry to term, or if she would have to have a bed pregnancy?

It is entirely possible that your friend miscarried because of scarring from
her abortion; however, this very, very rarely happens, *especially in the
case of SAFE CLINIC abortions (which a lot of the people in this group would
like to make illegal...).

Women who are on the Pill do get pregnant occasionally; because of the
hormonal disturbances that the Pill causes, the fetus is usually deformed
and usually miscarried.  This is a risk that women who take the Pill need
to be aware of.

There are other causes of miscarriage, such as deformed reproductive
organs and extremely narrow hips, or genetic deformations of the
fetus.  One of my housemates just had her 6th or 7th miscarriage in
the last 5 years; she has never had an abortion, and thinks she
miscarries because her hips are extremely narrow.  The mother of another
one of my housemates miscarried 8 or 9 times; the fetus was always
large enough that she could tell it was male, and she presumes that
there was some sex-linked genetic abnormality involved.

What I am trying to say is that it's very difficult to tell "what
caused" a miscarriage.  In some cases, scarring due to a botched
abortion could contribute.  Yet another argument for keeping abortions
safe and legal...

I am pro-choice.  I don't like abortions, but don't think it's my
place to deny any woman access to them.

Ann Muir Thomas
...tektronix!reed!thoma