[net.abortion] Garbage. Nothing but Garbage. Note the capital "G".

marco@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (the wharf rat) (08/12/86)

In article <885@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, rat@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Ray Trent) writes:

> In article <524@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU> marco@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU () writes:
> >In article <877@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, (I, Paul Torek) wrote:
> >> How does it follow from "X is a matter of opinion" that "we should not
> >> pass laws about X"?  Hint:  it doesn't.
> >
> >	Since laws function to restrict the actions of others, they should
> >be based on logic, not religon, intuition, opinion, or any other garbage.
> >[..].  Laws should be limited to the reality of positive knowledge,
>>
> Question:  suppose pro-lifers want to picket an abortion clinic forcibly
> preventing anyone from entering.  Or suppose they want to destroy the
> clinic's equipment.  (Not-so-hypothetical questions, eh?)  Do you want
> our legal system to stop them?  Aha ...  If so, you are giving your
> opinion the force of law!

	It is not an opinion that it is wrong to restrain another's
freedom of movement unlawfully.  It is not an opinion that it is wrong
to destroy another's possessions.  It is not an opinion that it is wrong
to plant bombs in buildings.  These are logically wrong, since to allow
these actions is to allow society to degenerate into anarchy.  Whether
or not it is socially acceptable to terminate the existence of a
collection of partially differentiated cells that may someday become a baby
is a matter of opinion because there is no conclusive evidence that
proves a particular point of view.  Whether or not it is socially
acceptable to bomb abortion clinics is not a matter of opinion, since
there is conclusive evidence that allowing indiscriminate and random
violence will lead to the breakdown of society.  As proof, I point
out the situation in Lebanon.
	It is my opinion that the anti-choice arguments being presented
here have recently become particularly facetious, trivial, and just
plain silly.  This is an opinion because I have no hard proof that
this kind of stupidity is meant facetiously, or that these people are indeed
idiots. It's just my opinion.
                                           wharf rat
"Ship of fools, sail away from me..."