[net.abortion] Terrorism and opinion.

marco@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (the wharf rat) (08/14/86)

In article <893@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, rat@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Ray Trent) writes:
> answer my question:  why should I vote for a law that makes it unlawful
> to interfere with people's freedom to move in and out of abortion clinics?

	You're right.  I have absolutely no answer to a man who believes
that it is acceptable to use violence to control other people's actions
because of his own unsubstantiated personal beliefs.  I can only say
that dis-allowing this sort of might-makes-right violence in society is
not a moral decision, but in fact based on logic.  This is true because
were it to be allowed, our society would degnerate into a series of armed
camps, ala' Lebanon.  Terrorism of any kind by any person is wrong, not on
some vague moral grounds, but because society must be based on peaceful
co-operation.  By refusing to legislate that it is acceptable to bomb
abortion clinics, you are not legislating the opinion that fetuses are not
human beings; you are legislating my right to control my own life
without fear of violence from those who do not agree with my actions.
	A ridiculous question : If anti-abortion violence is acceptable
because it merely expresses your opinion, is anti-anti-abortion violence
also acceptable ?  Will the abortion question be solved by which side
has the best marksmen ?
                            "I cannot share your answers, ship of fools",

                                                     (the real) rat

ps- I'm going to be long in responding to followups/e-mail,
because we're doing major work in the machine room, and then
I'm going to a different job.