[net.abortion] I'm "just" being provocative, BUT...

rat@tybalt.caltech.edu.Caltech.Edu (Ray Trent) (08/15/86)

In article <531@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU> marco (the wharf rat) writes:
>[assorted stuff]

Have you ever heard of a "reductio ad absurdum" argument?  It works like
this:  Someone says something I disagree with.  I take their premise
and use it to derive an absurd conclusion.  I then conclude that because
the conclusion is absurd, the premise must be false.  Usually my opponent
is smart enough to figure out that I reject the conclusion, without my
having to say so explicitly.

Apparently, this time is different.  So let me make crystal clear:  I
think it would be crazy not to prohibit anti-abortionists from doing the
things I mentioned.  We should impose our moral views on them.  We
should legislate our "opinion" about the legitimacy of such actions.

>[...]  I can only say
>that dis-allowing this sort of might-makes-right violence in society is
>not a moral decision, but in fact based on logic. [...]

Why not both?

> By refusing to legislate that it is acceptable to bomb
>abortion clinics, you are not legislating the opinion that fetuses are not
>human beings;

The issue was destroying property, not bombing, but:  Sure I am!

> you are legislating my right to control my own life
>without fear of violence from those who do not agree with my actions.

That too.  It's not either/or.

>	A ridiculous question : If anti-abortion violence is acceptable
>because it merely expresses your opinion, is anti-anti-abortion violence
>also acceptable ?  Will the abortion question be solved by which side
>has the best marksmen ?

It would be.  And that's the reductio ad absurdum of your premise.
		Paul Torek, not necessarily reflecting the views of:
		rat@tybalt.caltech.edu