[net.micro.hp] Copy protection via dongles

dick@ucsfcca.UUCP (Dick Karpinski) (07/24/85)

In article <46200001@hpcnof.UUCP> dat@hpcnof.UUCP (dat) writes:

>	Another problem is that these assume that there is an
>unused port on the equipment...if I had to constantly mess with

No unused port needed, dongles are pass-through unless special
conditions are met.  Only then do they speak when spoken to.

>more people to try to rip off software (I wouldn't pay more
>than the cost of my PC for ANY program!!!).  A more fruitful

I believe you.  Only a fool would not buy an affordable program
which paid for itself quickly merely because it cost more than
the computer it runs on.

>Compiler for ? $300+ ?  JRT and Turbo offer BETTER products at
>vastly lower prices (under $50.00 including extraneous software

JRT is out of business.  The bugs in their compiler are notorius
and legion.  Still the price was an effective ploy and hoodwinked
folks for months.  Turbo, from Borland, is a more effective point
here, but was only possible because they had no development cost
due to writing the thing before forming the company.  Even then,
Turbo isn't a big winner on the standards front.  Pretty good for
the hobbyist with bucks in pocket though.

Dick
--
Dick Karpinski    Manager of Unix Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick   (415) 666-4529 (12-7)