[net.micro.hp] hp printer question

kjg@psuecl.BITNET (07/31/86)

     Does anyone know how to cheaply convert a hp 82905b printer with only
the 002 (the hp protocal port option) so that i can use the centronics port.
I now have about three machines in my office but only one printer.  I like
this printer but need to have it work on my other centronic machines.  I can
handle any electronic modifications myself and the printer is no longer under
warranty.

thanks

everett@hp-pcd.UUCP (everett) (08/04/86)

I can't suggest that you open up your printer, as that would violate the
UL approval.  However, there are four screws on the bottom case that will
cause the top case to fall off if those four screws happened to vibrate loose
and the printer was upside down.  You should be aware of that as it's a
potential hazard!  Also, if that DOES happen, you should be VERY careful
that the four screws and grounding strap on the HPIB interface board are
not removed, because if they are, the board could accidentally be pulled
loose.  If that should happen, whatever else you do, DO NOT forget to put
the HPIB interface board back in before replacing the accidentally removed
top case, because without the HPIB interface board in the printer, the
only way to talk to the printer is through the parallel printer interface.
IF that should happen to you, however, never fear, there is a solution!
All you need to do is get yourself a computer that can talk to the printer
over the parallel interface, and voila, your printer will still be useful!

hoff@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tom Hoff) (08/07/86)

In article <331@PSUECL> kjg@psuecl.BITNET writes:

>     Does anyone know how to cheaply convert a hp 82905b printer with only
>the 002 (the hp protocal port option) so that i can use the centronics port.
>I now have about three machines in my office but only one printer.  I like
>this printer but need to have it work on my other centronic machines.  I can
>handle any electronic modifications myself and the printer is no longer under
>warranty.
>

>thanks

 I was only able to use the Centronics port on my 82905B after removing the
 HPIB board from the printer.  It seems that the HPIB board's output is tied
 directly to the input of the Centronics port and that the HPIB board is really
 no more than a HPIB to Centronics converter.  Anyways, the data and handshaking lines on the Centronics port end up looking like OUTPUTS rather than the inputs one would expect when one sees this connector on the back of their printer.
 In fact, one might even be able to use their 82905B printer as a HPIB to
 Centronics converter by hooking another Centronics device to the 82905B's
 Centronics port, but don't blame it on me if it doesn't work.  By the way,
 it has been a long time since I have seen the insides of my 82905B, and my
 memory just might be in need of a refresh cycle, so don't quote me.

#  The above are not opinions, but merely statements of fact.  Therefore, no  #
#  disclaimer is necessary.                                                   #