[net.music] JANACEK, ELP, CRIMSON

D3U@PSUVM.BITNET (01/07/85)

Hadn't noticed the similarity between "In the Court ..." and Sinfonietta, but
now that I think about it...
Well, actually, I'wouldn't say there's similarity with the very opening measure
for each piece, but I can hear the opening of Sinfonietta hidden here and there
 in "In the Court".
Remember that Greg Lake was with King Crimson before he was in ELP?  If I recal
correctly, it was the track "Knife Edge" from ELP's first lp that directly took
the opening measures of the Janacek Sinfonietta as the opening and major theme.
The lyrics began, "Said the late man to the straight man..."
It seems likely that members of ELP and King Crimson like the Sinfonietta.

                                         from the cosmic Ray

sherouse@unc.UUCP (George W. Sherouse) (01/08/85)

In article <PSUVM.1359D3U> D3U@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>Remember that Greg Lake was with King Crimson before he was in ELP?  If I recal
>correctly, it was the track "Knife Edge" from ELP's first lp that directly took
>the opening measures of the Janacek Sinfonietta as the opening and major theme.
>The lyrics began, "Said the late man to the straight man..."

Sorry, Ray.  The lyric is from "I Talk To The Wind" from Court of The
Crimson King - lyrics by Peter Sinfield.  Greg did do the singing.

Good tunes to you,

George W. Sherouse
<decvax!mcnc!unc!godot!sherouse>

"I couldn't act naturally if I wanted to..."