[net.mail.msggroup] electronic-mail "telephone directory"

speck@cit-vax.ARPA (Don Speck) (02/29/84)

    Is there any kind of electronic-mail address directory -- someplace
where I can look up the electronic address of people that I'd like to
send electronic mail to?  I'm hoping for the electronic-mail equivalent
of a telephone directory (indexed by name and university?), though I
realize that is probably hopelessly naive.
						-Don-

P.S.  I am not on the list, so please send replies to me (speck@cit-vax).

cak@Purdue.ARPA (Christopher A Kent) (02/29/84)

If you're a CSNET member, you can access the CSNET "nameserver", which
is just such a white pages, of CSNET members. There are even hacks to
go into delivermail and sendmail (I think the 4.2 version is done now)
and let you put nameserver queries into your outgoing headers.

Contact CIC@CSNET-CIC for full details.

Cheers,
chris
----------

RICH.GVT@office-3.ARPA (Rich Zellich) (02/29/84)

There is also, of long standing, the ARPANET Network Information Center Query
system.  You can connect to the SRI-NIC host (0/73 or 10.0.0.73) and give the
login/command NICQUERY.  That will drop you into an interactive program tht lets
you ask about ANY resource on the ARPANET/MilNet - users, hosts, TACs, software,
etc.

There is also the NIC-provided WHOIS program, that interacts across a network
connection with the NIC's user data base.  A copy of WHOIS is available free
from the NIC for at least Tenex, TOPS-20, and Unix systems.

For more information, try a copy of the ARPANET Resource Handbook or ARPANET
Directory, if you can find one of them locally, or send netmail to NIC@SRI-NIC.

-Rich

ROODE@sri-nic.ARPA (David Roode) (02/29/84)

You can access the NIC database of MILNET and ARPANET users
via a TCP connection to port 43 decimal on SRI-NIC as described
in RFC812.   Various types of search qualifications are available
including mailbox name across all sites and specific mailbox
as well as site name.  We are interested in specific
suggestions for improvements to this server.

If you do not have a capability to access this server from your
site, you can telnet to SRI-NIC and use the command
"WHOIS" which is available without need for login.  A help
message for this program is available as HLP:WHOIS.HLP
from SRI-NIC (via FTP under the ANONYMOUS login convention).
-------

steve@brl-bmd.ARPA (Stephen Wolff) (02/29/84)

And rfc812 or more generally rfcnnn is available via ANONYMOUS FTP of the file

			<rfc>rfcnnn.txt
at SRI-NIC.

Turkewitz@dca-eur.ARPA (02/29/84)

Date: 29 Feb 1984 09:58:14 Z
Comment:
Forwarded message(s):
Date:  29 Feb 1984  8:44:34 GMT (Wednesday)
From: daemon @ dca-eur
Subject:  Undeliverable mail
To: Turkewitz @ dca-eur
Text:
Mail addressed to MSG-Group at brl could not be sent.
550 (USER) Unknown user name in "MSG-Group@brl"
Date: 29 Feb 1984 08:28:27 Z
Text:
Don,
     The NIC (Network Operations Center at SRI in Menlo Park) keeps
such a directory for the Defense Data Network (DDN).  It is accessed
via the "nicname" protocol (RFC 812).  The nicname server runs on
the SRI-NIC machine.  You will need the nicname user program (if you
don't already have it on your machine), which in many cases can be
obtained from the NIC.  You then type "nicname name" to access the
directory.  There are other options to.  Send a message to NIC @ SIR-NIC
for further information.
          --Ken

-------------END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE(S)-------------