 -------------------------------------
From: REM@Mit-Mc.ARPA (Robert Elton Maas)
Sender: ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist)
It has been suggested that the IFIP proposal would permit heirarchial
domains of naming authority, but I fail to see it. Could somebody
explain it to me?
--------------------------------------
I wonder which version of the IFIP proposal you are looking at.
The latest one I have is "A User-friendly Naming Convention for
Public data Networks", Version 2, November 183, arising from
the IFIP WG6.5 NASE Subgroup meeting, Ottawa, July 1983.

The need is seen for the naming process to be 'user friendly'; that is
it should not depend on knowledge of things which humans are unlikely
to know routinely.  Perhaps an important source of confusion would be
to not distinguish between "names" and "addresses".  Names are to be
expressed in terms of things people can remember easily. Addresses
on the other hand are 'machine-oriented'.

The systems for identifying people in practically all current message
systems, including the ARPAnet 'internet' style, are what would be
called 'machine oriented' in this context.  The domain names and host
names appearing in addresses are closely tied to the hardware config-
urations of the networks.

It is anticipated that one of the purposes of the directories to be
provided in future will be translating from 'names' to 'addresses'.
As an example, my university has several machines with mail boxes
and mail software; this is not unusual.  My address would identify
inter alia which machine *my* mail box is on, and which network(s)
it can be reached by.  My *name* however, would be something like
   (Canada, University of Western Ontario, Julian Davies)
as a fairly minimal version, or I could be named by a more elaborate
specification which also mentioned the Province, my department,
and maybe a nickname or telephone number to be sure of avoiding
ambiguity.

The structure of *names* is defined, now, by a directed labelled
graph structure.  However, the structure is not arbitrary, and the
First Guideline is:
  The dominant structure of the Graph should be hierarchical.

That is, the graph will be 'almost' a tree.  A tree would be a perfect
hierarchy, but here we allow for some flexibility, that in some cases
a person may be reachable via several different routes through the
directory structure.  For instance, it may be that multi-nationals
such as IBM would be represented at the top level of the hierarchy,
and someone in IBM Bulgaria (for instance) could be reached either
starting with the Bulgaria National directory database, or with
the IBM top-level database, in either case ending up looking in
database provided by that particular organization.

The graph also allows for certain links to 'skip a level'; but the
graph should certainly be cycle-free.

Someone who happens to know the *address* for a person (e.g. an
internet address as they now exist) is free to use it.  Some people
might even remember X.121 numbers they way we have to remember
telephone numbers, for a person's personal workstation.
But the object is to provide a system at least as good as the
telephone directory, and use the power of the computer to help people
figure out how to contact each other when they do NOT know the
particular networks etc that are involved.

After that is cleared up, perhaps we who have seen both the IFIP
proposal and the Internet plan could discuss the differences and
debate the merits? Personally I like the explicit heirarchial nature
of the Internet plan, and would like something like that incorporated
into the IFIP proposal, unless it's already there somewhere.

In short, the hierarchy is there, but disguised because that seems
more likely to be useful.  Especially when the message systems get
really widespread.  But the Differences between the Internet plan and
the IFIP proposal are a result of one being a scheme for addresses
and the other a proposal for names.  The directories will mediate when
required.   In reality, the name form *has* to have a hierarchy
somewhere, because it would be quite impractical otherwise to
implement the directory servers.  The database will be far too large
to put all in one place, or to search without a good search strategy
and indexing scheme (say, 10 or 20 years from now).

		Julian Davies
UUCP   !uwo!julian
ENVOY  DJ.DAVIES

SIRBU@Mit-Mc.ARPA ("Marvin A. Sirbu, Jr.") (05/12/84)

The domain style names are no more "addresses" than are IFIP style
names.  It is perfectly plausible for there to be domain style names
of the form "Julian_Davies.University_of_Western_Ontario.Canada."
All that is required is a top level domain named Canada that contains a
subdomain named University_of_Western_Ontario, etc.  This domain name
would then map into a mail forwarder or host where you read your mail.

The differences have to do not with what is a name and what is an
address, but rather what is the object that the two types of names are
in fact names of.  Domain style names are names of host computers.  IFIP
style names are names of "User Agents" which are mail processes running on
either a personal workstation or a shared host.  To fully identify a
mail process using domain style domains, one has to say something like,
Davies@Julian_Davies.University_of_Western_Ontario.Canada in order to
identify the process on the host
Julian_Davies.University_of_Western_Ontario.Canada.

The other difference has to do with attaching a specific semantics to
the various components.  In domain style names, there is no semantics
associated with the subdomain University_of_Western_Ontario.  In IFIP
style names, this would be specified as a locale or an organziation.
What is the value of specifying some semantics?  It might make it easier
to guess.  It also forces databases to be organized by the particular
semantics chosen, instead of whatever happened to be convenient.  For
example, there is no reason why Internet_protocol_czar.ARPA couldn't be
a valid name for Jon's personal workstation; indeed this might even be a
sensible thing to do from a Hamming code point of view if Jon gets lots
of messages.  The  IFIP proposal doesn't provide a semantic category for
Internet_protocol_czar and thus could not accept a name of that form.

For implementation reasons, the semantic categories must be arranged in
a hierarchy.  This then leads to the requirement that the top layer in
the hierarchy must have entries for ALL valid values of the next
semantic level.  This imposes constraints on the ability to agregate
levels on the basis of administrative or operational performance reasons
as opposed to for reasons of name structure.  Thus, if semantic
categories are country, city, address, person, that works fine for
France.Paris.Kennedy_Blvd.John_Doe, but not for
USA.Paris.Kennedy_Blvd.John_Doe, because you need another level of
hierarchy -- State names -- to CONVENIENTLY disambiguate, at least in
the US.  Domain names give you more flexibility to define categories as
you please.

Marvin Sirbu

julian@deepthot.UUCP (Julian Davies) (05/17/84)

I gather this is quite a controversial topic in some USA circles.
A response to Marvin Sirbu, which doesn't claim to settle
the question...

  Regarding the idea that the IFIP naming scheme identifies User
Agents, which are 'mail processes' rather than some kind of
arbitrary machine specifier...
   I do see the distinction between 'names' and 'addresses' as crucial
to making sense of this.  The Directory Service is supposed to
provide a translation from 'names' to 'addresses';  The address will
be something on the nature of a Session Service Access Point, and
could be a process identifier or a specific machine address (e.g.
X.121) with extra protocol identifier specifications.  IFIP names
do not (as yet) have an agreed format for being typed.  The
name
	Canada, University_of_Western_Ont, Julian_Davies
is suposed to be something that is guessable and/or easy to remember.
It is up to the directory server to remember that that name is
associated with an address which currently could look like
	djmdavies%uwo-hobbit.MLNET@uwo.UUCP
or	302031500076.FTMAIL.djmdavies	  {these are both slightly
						invented}
or could be an .ARPA address, or something else which includes
specific machine and userid codes.  The point is not that my
mailbox "process" floats around, but that other people don't need
to remember exactly where it is.  For users at MIT, IFIP names
could look like
	USA, MIT, <personal name>
and never mind whether the mailbox is on MIT-MULTICS, or MIT-AI, or
MIT-whatever (maybe somewhere down on a LAN).

---------------
Domains regarded as not having specific semantics, or more precisely
not having 'types', while IFIP name components are 'typed':

This is a fair comment.  I think only trying it out will settle
the matter of what is "best", which presumably means easiest to
manage and use.  The IFIP name I quoted for myself should perhaps
have been given as
  C="Canada", O="Univ of Western Ont", PN=("Julian", "Davies")
to make the infrastructure clearer.  Showing the types of the
attributes or components involved means that the elements do not
have to be given in any specific order, whereas the domain-oriented
name/address makes order significant.  It is a matter of personal
taste perhaps.  The typed structuring does lend itself to being
represented within the scheme of X.409 (Presentation Transfer Syntax
and Notation) for representing typed data structures in messages.
Some people think that it will be easier for ordinary people to
use.  Anyone who does not like it could presumably keep on typing
addresses directly, and ARPA-style domain-based names count as
addresses in my view.  A lot will depend on the quality of the user
interfaces and of the directory service.

UUCP:  ..watmath!deepthot!julian

REM@Mit-Mc.ARPA (Robert Elton Maas) (05/21/84)

In-Reply-To:deepthot!julian@seismo.ARPA
Perhaps we shouldn't think in terms of a dichotomy between addresses
and routes, nor even a trichotomy between names addresses and routes,
but rather in terms of a whole continuem of names&addresses&routes from
the most verbose nieve database query (even more verbose and/or sloppy
than the IFIP proposal) to the most momentarily-optimum route. We can
then think of a whole series of resolvers at each stage in this
continuum, some of which are sticky (the answer is cached, like you
jot down the phone number so you don't have to call 411 or 555-1212
again for the same number) while others are dynamic (it doesn't do
much good to remember which IMP a packet passed through since due to
varying loads the next packet may find that IMP constipated and take a
more efficient route that avoids that IMP). Even stickiness may be a
contimuum. Phone numbers change once every several years. Hops on
USENET change every few weeks. Hops between Arpanet IMPs change on a
minute by minute basis. Perhaps everything can be sticky for some time
period, then recomputed after that?

General database query: somebody who is interested in space
exploration and has futuristic views, who has access to electronic mail.

Unstructured name: Jerry Pournelle, science-fiction writer.

IFIP name: Name=(Pournelle, Jerry), Country=USA, State=MA,
  City=Boston/Cambridge, Company=MIT, Dept=MC.

Domain name: POURNE@MC.MIT.ARPA.DOD.USA

Host address: ARPA 10.3.0.44 POURNE

Possible route from here: DIALUP:(<secret phone number>, Bell212,
<secret login JCL>, PCNET), USER#10.0.0.11 IMP#11,56,43,32,2,
 21,34,4,25,24,12,55,47,14,18,10,44 SERVER#10.3.0.44 RCPT:POURNE
(Sorry of those hops are out of date, I have 1980 Arpanet directory)