[net.mail.msggroup] redistribution lists --> conferences&magazines&links etc.

REM@Mit-Mc.ARPA (Robert Elton Maas) (06/02/84)

It seems to me that more useful than conferences would be
followup-links and magazines and keyword-access.

Magazines are very close to conferences in logic design: Submitters
propose articles, and the editor selects which ones will be included
in each issue. What do you think of the similarity and differences?

Keyword access gives an alternate way to introduce new
topics/discussions from conference/magazine. Method 1 is for a
customer to have a list of keywords heesh is interested in, and
automatically receive in his keyword mailbox all articles with those
keywords that are marked as "new-subject". Presumably all
"old-subject" messages would either be received or not according to
whether their predecessors were received or not (except when the
customer grows tired of a topic and asks to stop receiving follow-ups
from some point). Method 2 is for a customer to receive a summary of
keywords in all "new-topic" messages, and then to manually pick which
to read and which not. After reading such "new-topic" messages, heesh
could decide whether to subscribe to the follow-up stream or not.

Follow-up links are the preferred way I'd like to control what I
receive and what I don't. I'd like to mark particular messages I see
as interesting, so I'll receive any later message that lists it as a
direct prerequisite. This would include additional information,
errata, rebuttal, discussion/debate, and related topics that were
sparked by the initial subject. Follow-up links are DAG (directed
acyclic graph), the subject flow forks at each message, and
occasionally somebody happens to write a summary message that joins
together several different lines of thought that have something in
common. But mostly follow-up links are tree-like, each message having
one or zero prerequisite but an arbitrary number of follow-ups.
Divergent branches in the tree may follow related subjects, or the
topic may drift away from the original in several different
directions. In a magazine or mailing list or conference it's nigh
impossible to handle this divergence. Usually in a mailing list the
readership must be burdened by all these divergent topics. Witness how
HUMAN-NETS started with finding a public replacement for Arpanet but
diverged into so many topics that at times it seems to be net.general
in effect. But with follow-up links, any reader could select which
branches to continue and which to prune, without adversely affecting
anybody else who may have different choices. If the readership to any
particular branch becomes very tiny, those who contribute could be
warned; or better, whenever a messages is distributed the initial
readership number could be included in the header, so persons thinking
of replying would know whether to invest lots of time in a
carefully-worded reply to hundreds or thousands, or slip off a quick
reply to a half dozen, or not even bother if the readership has
slipped to two (the author and the replyer).

Has anybody provided a followup-link system for use on Arpanet?

MCGREGOR@hp-labs.csnet (Scott L. McGregor) (06/04/84)

The difference between a conference and a magazine is that in a conference,
control is presumed to be democratic. Anyone (everyone) is welcome to speak.
A magazine has a different power structure: There is the magazine staff
of writers and editors who  minister to the subscribers. This is a less
equitable arrangement, but is good for delivering information from those
who know to those who don't.  A Conference is better for tasks like brain-
storming which benefit from a more equal participation.

As a veteran Conferencing Systems user and a new conferencing system
developer, I am acutely aware of the problem of information and decision
overload.  The management of the number of branching and pruning decisions
will require improved systems for handling these systems automatically.
The drudgery of this task given the tools currently available in most
conferencing systems today is one of the things that is keeping conferencing
from taking the commercial data processing world by storm.  It is hoped that
some breakthroughs will be achieved in this area in the not too distant
future, but it we probably won't see major changes in this community for a
while.
-------

Gisle_Hannemyr_@QZCOM.MAILNET (06/05/84)

If I interprete your note correctly, it main theme is a
suggestion for a more "structured" way of using
computer conferencing.

While I am symphatic to mechanisms that can augment
the quality and reduce the "noise level" in C.C.,
I think I should report my experience with a
magazine model very close to the one you are
proposing.

For more than a year, two friends and myself has
attempted to operate an "Electronic Magazine" along
those lines as part of the Oslo COM system.  This
system is used daily by researchers at three of
Norways largest academic institutions, and we
hoped that this very special group of users
should form a good user base (academics usually
write a lot of reports of papers).

However, so far we have not received one
unsolicited contribution, and even friends
and collegues we have approached has not
been very forthcoming.

Other experimenters with this form have
reported equally spectacular failures.  The
explanations offered for lack of success
concentrates on:

1) Electronic media lack the prestige of
   established scientific journals.

2) A C.C. system shared by friends and
   neighbours is a to intimate medium to
   be used to publish ambitious and aspiring
   research papers.

We shall continue our experiment another year
(also failure provides some insight), but it
seems that the casual, fairly unstructured
way traditional C.C. operates, is so far the
best format for this form communication.

I have no comment on the other topics raised in
your entry -- but more powerful link and search
mechanisms seems like a good idea.

Tommy_Ericson__QZ@QZCOM.MAILNET (06/05/84)

1) Prestige

I have also given that item some thoughts.  Is it not somewhat
astonishing that bodies like ACM or IFIP have not begun moving
over to electronic publishing?  Will commersial papers like
Datamation be the first?  I say no, that would not look so
good for the academic community.

Jacob_Palme_QZ@QZCOM.MAILNET (06/05/84)

In COM we have both ordinary conferences, where all participants
can write whatever they want, and write-protected conferences,
somewhat similar to what you call magazines. We also have different
kinds of "selection conferences" into which selected entries
from the normal conferences can be entered. Finally we store
the "comment" links between entries into the data base, creating
"sub-conferences" consisting of the items which are related directly
or indirectly by comment links. There are a number of operations
on such sub-conferences, such as scanning or searching in a sub-
conference or skipping entries from a sub-conference.

Our experience is that the sub-conference facility, or "comment
tree" facility, or whathever you prefer to call it, is very much
used and important for our users. Thus, we plan to put even more
stress on this facility in future developments.

Our experience is that the various kinds of write-protected conferences
and selection conferences do provide some valuable services to
some people, but in general have a problem in that too few entries
are sent to them. This may be an economic problem, we have no
tools at present for paying editors for such conferences, and
this may be neccessary.

Note that the concept of "keyword" and the concept of "conference"
or "mailing list" is really very similar. Especially so in COM,
where the same entry can be sent to several conferences, without
forcing members of both conferences to see the entry twice.
The idea of sending a note about graphics in Pascal to both the
"Pascal" and the "graphics" conference/mailing list, is very
similar to the idea of giving the note these two keywords.

A difficulty with keywords may be that if you select items by
keywords, you will get a somewhat random selection of items when
you read them, depending on if someone happened to give the items
the keyword you search on. With conferences and mailing lists,
on the other hand, you will get a number of interrelated entries,
and this is important because often the important information is
not in one single item, but in the ideas created by the interrelation
of items written by a number of people.

Jacob_Palme_QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (06/05/84)

Date: Tue, 5-Jun-84 16:29:00 EDT
Sender: ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist)

ssages_to_be_transferred_to_the_Swedish_%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To: Message_Group_at_BRL_mailing_list%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA, "Robert Elton Maas" <rem@MIT-MC.ARPA>, "Scott L. McGregor" <MCGREGOR@hp-labs.csnet>

Cc: msggroup@BRL-AOS.ARPA, MCGREGOR@Csnet-Relay.ARPA, Messages_to_be_transferred_to_the_Swedish_%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

[...]

Gisle_Hannemyr_@QZCOM.MAILNET (06/06/84)

Other examples include Senders' (defunct) "On-line
Scientific Journal" (report in "The Information
Scientist" 2:1; and the Bristish BLEND. (B. Shackel,
The BLEND System.  Programme for the study of some
'electronic journals'., "Ergonomics" 25:4.

These experiments also attempt to add prestige to
publication by issuing parallell paper editions.

Shackels paper contains references to numerous
other experiments.

I believe that to experiment with a "true"
electronic journal you must:

1) NOT publish a parallell paper edition.  Then
   it be just another journal that also exist in
   machine readable form.

2) Having it exist within the framework of a large
   dynamic conference system, so that one can monitor
   the effect of those most interesting characteristics
   of using a computer:
   a) Very short time between acceptance and publication.
   b) "Instant" feedback, dialogue between author and reader.

Jacob Palme mentions <57941> the problem of paying the editor
of such an "Electronic magazine".  I am very interested in
the topic, and would be happy to accept the editorship of
such an magazine in COM@QZ without being paid.  However,
I proably could not get my University to pay for the
computer time such an activity would require at the
QZ Oden host, so QZ would have to donate the cycles.