[net.mail.msggroup] RFCs vs. X.* standards

fair@dual.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (10/29/84)

>> Date: Tue, 23-Oct-84 11:48:00 PDT
>> From: Jacob_Palme_QZ@QZCOM.MAILNET
>>
>>      FROM: Mark Crispin <MRC@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
>>
>>      I swear, though, if after we finally get into full compliance
>>      with RFC 822 dates they change the syntax to something
>>      incompatible AGAIN, I'll get the %&#@!
>>
>> Surely they will. Do you not know that there is an international
>> standard for calendar dates. Something like this, I believe:
>> 1984-10-23-17.43.59
>> for todays date.

<flame on>

The rest of the world can go screw itself with X.400 (as they are
apparently trying to) and we can pray that DoD will see the light and
ignore them. Somehow, standards that are made by a committee of people
who have never used or supported a large computer network (such as the
ARPA INTERNET) strike me as ill conceived.

For whatever glitches might be in the RFCs, they are the product of
almost 15 years of research and practical experience, and should not be
cavalierly discarded in favor of X.400.

<flame off>

	internet forever,

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

	dual!fair@BERKELEY.ARPA
	{ihnp4,ucbvax,hplabs,decwrl,cbosgd,sun,nsc,apple,pyramid}!dual!fair
	Dual Systems Corporation, Berkeley, California

hagouel@ittvax.UUCP (Jack Hagouel) (10/29/84)

> For whatever glitches might be in the RFCs, they are the product of
> almost 15 years of research and practical experience, and should not be
> cavalierly discarded in favor of X.400.
>
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucb-arpa.ARPA

Erik has a good point that RFCs have matured over years of both thinking
and everyday use. Unfortunately, this does not guarantee standards that
are useful to everybody. RFCs developed for a particular community and
with some assumptions about the supporting environment. Early design
decisions limit the amount and quality of modifications in later versions.
Although I would hardly call myself an expert on the RFCs I find that
the X.400 standards have a level of rationality rarely found in standards.
This seems to have attracted a lot of support in the industry, a necessary
ingredient for any proposal to become a standard. Could we think of them
as a second generation standard?

Jack Hagouel
...!ittvax!hagouel

schoff@cadtroy.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (10/30/84)

> The rest of the world can go screw itself with X.400 (as they are
> apparently trying to) and we can pray that DoD will see the light and
> ignore them. Somehow, standards that are made by a committee of people
> who have never used or supported a large computer network (such as the
> ARPA INTERNET) strike me as ill conceived.

	What happens when you want to talk to rest of the world?  There
	are other places in the world where people are doing interesting
	things.

	Then there is the question of why the DOD should be spending
	upteen billions of dollars on research in mail, networking etc..
	when (or if) the commercial sector has a good answer.  [Didn't
	you see the 60 minutes episode on the F20 Tigershark?]

	You are being a bit colonial in your belief that others haven't
	used or supported large computer networks.  At the inception
	of the Arpanet others were also experimenting.  Now there are
	a multitude of large X.25 networks, and yes even a internetwork
	of X.25 networks.

> For whatever glitches might be in the RFCs, they are the product of
> almost 15 years of research and practical experience, and should not be
> cavalierly discarded in favor of X.400.

	One of the criticism that I have heard in the past is that
	the people who wrote the RFC's were RESEARCHERS, it was a
	real interesting research project and they even spent some
	time implementing 90% of the specification.  But that
	other 10% was a bit hard and left as an excersize to the
	student while they go on to other interesting things,
	"We do research!" they would say.  The problem was that
	the last 10% of the specification didn't hack it in
	the real world.

	If you don't want the DOD to cavalierly discard the RFC's
	(they won't), why don't you take the same tack and not
	cavalierly discard the work of other standards making
	bodies.

marty schoffstall

cadmus!schoff@seismo.ARPA
{linus,seismo,bbncca,wivax}!cadmus!schoff