[ut.vlsi] SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

jaro@utecfa.UUCP (Jaro A Pristupa) (10/03/86)

JOINT COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING SEMINAR

            VLSI MODELS OF NEURO-NETWORKS
                          by
                Professor Carver Mead
          California Institute of Technology

                       Abstract

     The Semiconductor technology has evolved to  the  point
where  chips  containing a million transistors can be fabri-
cated without defects.  If a small number of defects can  be
tolerated,  this number is increased by two orders of magni-
tude.  Devices now being fabricated on an experimental basis
have  shown  that another two orders of magnitude are possi-
ble.  The inescapable conclusion is that  wafers  containing
10^10  (10 to the tenth power) devices, of which only a van-
ishing fraction are defective, will be in production  within
a  few  years.   This level of complexity is well below that
required for higher cortical functions, but is already  suf-
ficient to solve lower level perception tasks.

     This remarkable technology has made possible a new dis-
cipline: Synthetic Neurobiology.  The thesis of this discip-
line is that it is not possible, even in principle, to claim
a full understanding of a system unless one is able to build
one that functions properly.  This principle is already well
accepted  in  molecular biology, and more recently in genet-
ics.  It is hoped that the approach will soon join the trad-
itional descriptive and analytical foundations of neurobiol-
ogy.

     Small examples using current technology to attack prob-
lems in early vision and hearing will be described.

DATE:	Monday, October 6, 1986
TIME:	4:00 p.m.
PLACE:	GB244
	Galbraith Building
	University of Toronto

clarke@utcsri.UUCP (Jim Clarke) (10/06/86)

In article <1899@utecfa.UUCP> jaro@utecfa.UUCP (Jaro A Pristupa) writes:
>JOINT COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING SEMINAR
>
>            VLSI MODELS OF NEURO-NETWORKS
>                          by
>                Professor Carver Mead
>          California Institute of Technology
>
>                       Abstract
>
>                            ....  The thesis of this discip-
>line is that it is not possible, even in principle, to claim
>a full understanding of a system unless one is able to build
>one that functions properly.  This principle is already well
>accepted  in  molecular biology, and more recently in genet-
>ics....

	Without wishing to carp, and certainly without wanting to put anyone
	off what sounds like a Very interesting seminar (but maybe with a
	few sour grapes because I have to go to a Very uninteresting
	meeting at the same time), perhaps I could just point out that
	one of the systems we have learned to understand best in the
	twentieth century is the star.  You know, one of those bright
	things in the sky.  Very big, they are, actually, and tough to
	build.

	(You might think that an H-bomb would be a simulation.  Unfortunately
	an H-bomb is not useful even for that.  It demonstrates the basic
	mechanism of energy generation, but the scale is all wrong:  mass
	too low, temperature too high.)

	OK, I know astrophysics isn't particularly close to neurophysiology.
	But that sounded like a Grand Principle back there.  It isn't quite
	universal, but I couldn't properly go on without attending the
	seminar.

	In case you'd forgotten, here's the time of the seminar again:

--

Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058