[net.misc] signatures

ewh@druky.UUCP (01/19/84)

Subject: signatures
Newsgroups: misc
When i used to sign lots of checks, i came to the same conclusion as
DeBenedictis (did i get that right?), so i shortened my legal signature
to my three initials.  In the 10+ years since, i've had a few hassles
with clerks and bank tellers; but in general i'm glad i shortened it.
I've always won the argument in banks, but have frequently had to lecture
the manager that my signature, signed any way i want to, is sort of a
personalized 'X' and that they can be a witness that i'm who i say i
am, just like it says on the govt. checks, if they insist.  Last year's
tax refunds were the latest round, and it came down to depositing them
on a tentative basis, but i've never had any endorsement actually
kicked back.  I've told a couple of sales clerks to take their merchandise
and stick it, when they presumed to tell me how to sign my own name, even
though i had more than one picture id that had it signed the way i wanted
to... anyhow, yes, you can do it, but be prepared to deal with rigid fools.
ernie harkins