[net.religion.jewish] Ann Landers on Judaism

tischler@ihuxs.UUCP (Mark D. Tischler) (08/02/84)

I beg to differ with you, Susan.
Ann Landers hit the nail on the head.
You can't live with the rules of the
past while whipping into the future.
Things change, and it is our duties
as human beings (not Jews, Christians, ...)
to keep up with the changing times.
Kashrut is ancient.  Sure, it may
be a nice idea for someone to do,
but you can't live your life without
thinking of what is going on in life
around you.  The mother's concern
about an emergency call is a very
valid one.  The fact that the son
has basically cut himself off from
his parents, not to mention the
world, is sad.  He has some duty
to his family members, and I feel
he is being selfish.  Oh well, to each
his own.  I just hope my kids never
do that to me.  I would be very hurt.
--

				Mark Tischler
				(312) 355-4254 (home)

hbb@houxt.UUCP (08/02/84)

The Ann Landers article raises questions  I  have  heard  before.
Generally, I consider the objections to be overstated.

One example is to the claim that since the members of a observant
Jewish  household  will  avoid  answering  the  telephone  on the
Sabbath, they are endangering their  safety  and  the  safety  of
others.

I find this objection difficult to understand.  As far as my  own
safety  is concerned, I haven't  thought  of  too many  instances
where  someone  outside of my immediate vicinity would  have  any
better  idea  of  my  well-being  than  I.  The  closest thing  I
could think of would be a next door neighbor attempting to inform
me that my house is on fire. I would guess  this  would make  the
telephone useful if the doors were ablaze (the neighbor  couldn't
knock  on  the  door  and  tell me the problem,)   but due to the
nature of this scenerio, the usefulness would be questionable.

In the event that someone would be in a  dangerous  situation,  I
cannot  imagine why they would call me. I am not an MD,  so  that
I could  assist  a person  who   is  ill.  Nor am I  a  policeman
where  I  could  assist people  endangered  by  crime.  Calls  to
people    in     these   professions      would      be      most
approprate    in  dangerous situations. Similarly would be  calls
to  the  Fire  department, hospital/ambulance  corp.  Even  calls
to  the  local  power company would be appropriate in case of gas
leaks or felled power  lines, etc. One would be  hard-pressed  to
come up with a reason to call on a computer programmer in case of
emergency (I'm referring  to  dangers  relating  to  Humans,  not
machines.)

With regard to the objection to  the  kosher   laws   and   their
inapplicability  to  "modern society," the objection is very much
like those against the observance of any (or all)  of  the  other
Jewish  laws.  There  have  always  been  individuals  who try to
observe the laws just as there have been those individuals who do
not.  These  arguments  simply  attempt to justify non-observance
with "straw man"-arguments.

It is the people that foster these arguments who have  introduced
the concept of time/technology into the issue of Kashrut. Neither
the Bible nor the sages ever associated these  issues.  The  non-
observant   individuals  decided  that  it  must  have  been  the
motivating  factor  in  issuing  the  laws,   and  so  could   be
eliminated when that reason was eliminated.

How convenient!
--
Harlan B. Braude
{most "backbone" sites}!houxt!hbb

marcum@rhino.UUCP (Alan M. Marcum) (08/03/84)

Hmm, yes, well.  At the risk of joining a ludicrous melee, I post
this follow-up (also at the risk of "preaching to the choir" [sic]).

It is amazing how intolerant many people are regarding religion.
The US's early history is full of the "we're being presecuted, so
let's go find religious freedom in the New World" followed by the
settlement's policy of "you are FREE to practice OUR form of
religion in the colony."

The example cited is another instance of this.  Practice your
religion, they say, but do it MY way.  Practice your religion,
they say, but do it in a way that doesn't inconvenience me or impact
on me at all.  Be Jewish, please, and "propogate" the culture,
the religion, but don't be obvious about it.  And, above all,

		 Thou shalt not be more frumm
		than thy father and they mother.

Won't it be exciting when Jews accept one another, when people
accept one another.  On THAT day...

--
Alan M. Marcum		Fortune Systems, Redwood City, California
...!{ihnp4, ucbvax!amd, hpda, sri-unix, harpo}!fortune!rhino!marcum

tischler@ihuxs.UUCP (Mark D. Tischler) (08/03/84)

Harlan,

I hope you never hurt yourself on Shabbat and
can't call an ambulance because your too damn
stubborn to use the phone to save your own life.

I hope your mother or father never gets badly
injured, and you're not reachable because your
too brainwashed with religion to answer the telephone
on Shabbat.  I know I wouldn't want to find out
in the newspaper that my parent was hurt.
That's pretty unfeeling, but typical of folks
that are super-religious, to suggest that you
wouldn't want to be notified in case of an emergency
just because of some law that says
you shouldn't use the telephone on Shabbat.
By the way, has it ever occurred to you that
phones did not exist in biblical times, and that
therefore this law is not an original law.  But
yet you still observe it!

Technology definitely was not an issue in biblical
times.  That's why that argument was not used then.
Now, however, the rapid and accelerated growth of
technology affects all of us.  It is the super-religious
who want to hold back technology and, therefore, hold
back the advancement of mankind.  It's no "straw-man"
argument -- it's quite real.  Not seeing that is
living with you eyes closed.
--

				Mark Tischler
				(312) 355-4254 (home)

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (08/06/84)

I've found the dialog on Ann Landers interesting, but since
the Australian came to Chicago and Royko changed his socks,
I have also switched to the Tribune and no longer get to
read Ann Landers.  A copy of the original that the commentary
refers to would be appreciated.  (Please send via E-mail or
paper mail to:
	AT&T Bell Laboratories - Room IX 1A-474
	1200 E. Warrenville Rd.
	Naperville, IL 60566
I'd suggest posting the full text of the Ann Landers column, but
that might violate copyright laws.)
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (08/06/84)

Wait a minute...

Doesn't the principle hold that if your "ox is in the ditch"
on the Sabbath you can haul him out ?

I am a Christian ( did I pick this up from Christianity ?)

It would seem if this principle is correct that animal (and
surely human) life takes precedent over the Law then in
emergency situations observant Jews could use the phone,
car, etc.

Please let's hear from some Orthodox thinkers on this.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}
AT&T Technologies, Inc.............. Norcross, Ga
(404) 447-3784 ...  Cornet 583-3784

hrs@houxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (08/06/84)

Since it is permissible to answer a knock on the door on the Sabbath,
why is it not permissible to answer the telephone. I don't recall
a prohibition against this in the bible, which is very explicit
on what is and is not permitted.

hbb@houxt.UUCP (08/06/84)

Mark:

I cannot imagine how you can criticize my position  without  even
attempting  to  understand  what that position is. Let me analyze
your "response" piece by piece.

>I hope you never hurt yourself on Shabbat and can't call an ambulance
>because your too damn stubborn to use the phone to save your own life.
>
>I hope your mother or father never gets badly injured, and you're not
>reachable because your too brainwashed with religion to answer the telephone
>on Shabbat.

Thank you, I, too, hope that neither my parents nor  myself  ever
get injured on Sabbath (or any other time, for that matter.) Your
response is totally ridiculous. I explicitly stated that  calling
for an ambulance would be one of several actions permitted on the
Sabbath. It is permitted precisely because it is done to  save  a
life. The saving of a life supercedes the Sabbath laws.

What your statement does is bolster my claim that  the  arguments
used  against  observance of the Sabbath laws (and any other laws
of Judaism) are nothing more than straw-men!

>I know I wouldn't want to find out in the newspaper that my parent was hurt.
>That's pretty unfeeling, but typical of folks that are super-religious, to
>suggest that you wouldn't want to be notified in case of an emergency
>just because of some law that says you shouldn't use the telephone on Shabbat.

If someone is injured and I am not a person that  can  help  that
person, then calling me is a waste of valuable time that could be
better spent calling on experts who could help. An example  would
be  a doctor. By all means, call the doctor. But since I am not a
doctor, you shouldn't conatct me.

While it is quite true that I am most interested in  the  welfare
of  my  parents,  and  that  I  would  want to know right away if
something (Chas Veshalome) ever happened to them, I realize  that
letting  me  know  about  it  on  Shabbat  will not improve their
chances for recovery, precisley because I haven't the ability  to
heal  them. I would be thankful that they received prompt medical
attention before any thought of contacting me was made.

As for the snide remark you made  about  lack  of  feeling  being
"typical   of   folks  that  are  super-religious,"  I  say  that
misrepresenting other peoples' point of view  simply  to  bolster
your  own  position  about  which  you display a tremendous guilt
complex is the  epitome  of  an  "unfeeling"  characteristic!  To
subsequently  accuse  these  same people of poor character traits
you yourself display, is hipocrasy!  It  would  appear  that  the
"super-religious"  do  not  have  any  sort  of monopoly in those
areas.

>By the way, has it ever occurred to you that phones did not exist in biblical
>times, and that therefore this law is not an original law.  But yet you still
>observe it!
While it is true that phones did not  exist  in  biblical  times,
this  has nothing to do with originality of any of the laws. When
new inventions or new discoveries are made, what the  sages  have
always  attempted  to do was determine what characteristics there
were in this new object so that it could be  classified  and  the
proper laws be attributed to it.

Fire has been around for quite  a  while  and   electricity   was
found  to   have   many   of   the  same qualities.  It  is  true
that  by   going   this  route  we  have  not  formulated  a  law
specifically designed for electricity.  However, this is much the
same process as modern day secular courts use to  pass  judgement
on  cases  before  them.  The  most   important   concept in  U.S
Jurisprudence  may  be precedence - basing judgements on previous
cases.

>Technology definitely was not an issue in biblical times.  That's why that
>argument was not used then.  Now, however, the rapid and accelerated growth
>of technology affects all of us.

Technology was as much an issue in biblical times as it is today.
You   seem  to  have  forgotten  that  tools  were  used  in  the
contruction of buildings and in the manufacture of cloth and  for
metalwork  in those days. The invention of the plow is attributed
to Noah. During the construction of the Mishkan  in  the  desert,
the  Jewish  artisans produced very detailed and beautiful works.
This may not be modern technology as we think of it today, but it
was modern then.

>It is the super-religious who want to hold back technology and, therefore,
>hold back the advancement of mankind.
Oh, brother. I hardly think that members of that "super-religious" group you
speak about would ever have entered a fields like computer science had they
really wanted to hold back technology. You will find religious physicists,
educators, chemists, pharmacists, engineers, etc if only you will look.

>It's no "straw-man" argument -- it's quite real.
Wrong. It is nothing more than a straw-man!

>Not seeing that is living with you eyes closed.
That goes both ways.
--
Harlan B. Braude
{most "backbone" sites}!houxt!hbb

rib@edsel.UUCP (RI Block) (08/06/84)

On this day before the commemoration of the destruction of the
Temple, I am somewhat troubled by the causeless enmity which seems
to have surrounded the discussion of the Ann Landers article.

I have stayed out of the fray because I thought that I contribute heat
rather than light. Nevertheless, the statement:

	I hope you never hurt yourself on Shabbat and
	can't call an ambulance because your too damn
	stubborn to use the phone to save your own life.

is so incorrect, that is must be publically rebutted.

When human life is at stake, even if the peril is only potential,
any and all means at hand may be used on the Sabbath to aid
the individual.

The list of possible citations of this long established principle
is almost without end. For example, the RAMBAM (Maimonedes) points
out that when desecration of the Sabbath is indicated for saving life,
it should performed leading members of the community and not relegated
to minors so that the primary importance of saving life be well publicized.

The list of injuries for which normal Sabbath prohibitions
may be freely overriden is larger than generally recognized and
according to most orthodox authorities include fever, bleeding,
unexplained internal pain, objects in eyes, and even splinters in fingers.

Of course, the proper response is conditioned by the gravity of the
situation, and where there is no immediate urgency, sabbatical prohibitions
are overriden to minimum extent needed. But the time following an accident,
or sudden sickness is no time to consult the literature on what is permissible,
the needs of the one stricken take priority until after such time as one
is sure that there is no danger to life. Even in this case (of one
who is in no  danger 'Holeh sh'ain bo sakanah') there are many leniencies
permitted for the comfort of a sick person.

Many, if not most, consider the use of the telephone to involve rabbinic
rather than biblical prohibitions. It is hard to think of any case where
using the telephone as the fastest way to summon aid would not be the
preferred way.

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (08/07/84)

Does a doctor who follows the old traditions respond to calls on the Sabbath?

	sdcrdcf!alan

root@ucla-cs.UUCP (08/07/84)

In fact, one is OBLIGATED to use any and all available technology to aid
them in the event of an emergency.

Dave Dalva
Arpa: did@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4 | randvax | sdcrdcf | trwspp | ucbvax}!ucla-cs!did

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (08/09/84)

In article <335@houxb.UUCP> hrs@houxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) writes:
~|
~| Since it is permissible to answer a knock on the door on the Sabbath,
~| why is it not permissible to answer the telephone. I don't recall
~| a prohibition against this in the bible, which is very explicit
~| on what is and is not permitted.

Jewish law is not all set out in "the bible". Jewish law is made up
of the "written law" (the Torah) plus the "oral law", set out in
the Mishnah and the Talmud, and compiled in the Shulchan Aruch.
The Torah prohibits "melachah" on the Sabbath. The Mishnah and
Talmud detail the 39 specific acts of melachah, one of which is
lighting a fire. Rabbinic interpretation of this prohibition in
the context of electricity is that any active use of electricity
(e.g., turning on a light, or making an electrical connection)
constitutes lighting a fire. Using a telephone is an active use
of electricity.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (abeles) (08/09/84)

Of course, the rabbis of the 19th century who concluded that
electricity is a form of fire were not well-informed scientists,
nor did they heed any advice from scientist of the day.
Electricity is obviously not fire.

--J. Abeles

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (08/12/84)

>I beg to differ with you, Susan.
>Ann Landers hit the nail on the head.
>You can't live with the rules of the
>past while whipping into the future.

Either Tischler is saying each generation should reject its intellectual
inheritance from the previous generations and start out new,  or  he  is
saying  the  Jews  alone  should  reject their inheritance from previous
generations.   Since  the  first  possibility  is  clearly   impossible,
Tischler  must be making the second statement.  Since the Jews are being
singled out, clearly Tischler is expressing some anti-Jewish bigotry.

An unbiased observer -- and  I  doubt  that  a  Westerner  could  be  an
unbiased observer -- would note that in terms of social organization and
understanding of legal principles, Jewish thinkers 600  years  ago  were
more  sophisticated  than  modern  Western thinkers.  An honest observer
might suggest Westerners reject the outmoded Western tradition for  some
Judaizing tradition.

>Things change, and it is our duties
>as human beings (not Jews, Christians, ...)

Another call to attack the Jews.  Those disgusting traditional Jews  are
ignoring their duties as human beings.

>to keep up with the changing times.
>Kashrut is ancient.  Sure, it may
>be a nice idea for someone to do,

Tischler  has  an extremely unsophisticated viewpoint.  All peoples have
some form of Kashrut.  Americans avoid eating dog  or  monkey,  but  the
Chinese  see  nothing  wrong  with  these foods.  Americans will not eat
locust but I eat the  kasher  ones.   They  taste  just  fine.   Judaism
differs from Western traditions only in that kashrut is given the status
of a religious ritual.  Judaism merely tries to make  ordinary  everyday
acts expressions of sanctity.

>but you can't live your life without
>thinking of what is going on in life
>around you.

That  is  observing  kashrut  might  make  you  look silly at a business
luncheon.  Or observing  Shabbat  might  prevent  you  from  putting  in
overtime.   If  tradition  interferes with your money grubbing chuck the
tradition.

>	      The mother's concern
>about an emergency call is a very
>valid one.

Many have already given replies to this moronic point.

>	     The fact that the son
>has basically cut himself off from
>his parents, not to mention the
>world, is sad.

A non-sequitur.  My family observes kashrut but within  my  lifetime  we
have  entertained  members  of  the  Briganza,  Wittelsbach and Hapsburg
families.  These people value tradition.  Some observant friends of mine
recently  entertained  the former ruling family of Tunisia who of course
would never even consider eating with Tishler --  he  does  not  observe
kashrut.  How have we cut ourselves from the world?

>		 He has some duty
>to his family members, and I feel
>he is being selfish.  Oh well, to each
>his own.  I just hope my kids never
>do that to me.  I would be very hurt.

I  can understand.  The kids were telling their parents, "You could have
given us a spiritually, culturally and  intellectually  fulfilling  life
within   the  Jewish  community;  instead  you  chose  a  materialistic,
spiritually-,  culturally-  and  intellectually-  empty,  money-grubbing
Western life-style; your choice sucked!"

>				Mark Tischler
>				(312) 355-4254 (home)
>				(312) 979-2626 (work)
>				ihnp4!ihuxs!tischler

Yaqim Martillo

An Equal Opportunity Offender

Flames via the net -- I do not like to answer telephones.

rs@houxe.UUCP (R.SLUSKY) (08/13/84)

>In order to remain in harmony with the non-Jews in whose countries we
>reside, it has generally been accepted that the same laws apply even
>when the life or limb or a non-Jew is at stake.

Harmony with non-Jews cannot possibly be the rationale. It is
inconceivable that halacha would even ALLOW a Jew to refrain from
helping anyone, Jew or non-Jew, whose life or limb were threatened, shabbos
notwithstanding.

I would also submit that the notion of shabbos "desecration" is not appropriate
in this context.

                                               Ron Slusky
                                               AT&T-IS
                                               Holmdel, NJ

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (08/14/84)

In article <179@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (abeles) writes:
~|
~| Of course, the rabbis of the 19th century who concluded that
~| electricity is a form of fire were not well-informed scientists,
~| nor did they heed any advice from scientist of the day.
~| Electricity is obviously not fire.
~|
~| --J. Abeles

Of course, J. Abeles is not a well-informed observant Jew, nor
does he heed any advice from Orthodox rabbis of today.

Why is electricity "obviously" not fire? Why does J. Abeles
presume to know what characteristics of electricity and fire
are relevant to their similarity or difference from a halachic
point of view?

We believe that the Torah was given for all ages, and is
relevant in our technological age. From the point of view
of its effect on Shabbos observance, treating electricity
as fire is entirely appropriate. Turning on a light switch
is in many ways equivalent to lighting a candle. And I find
that not being able to use electrical devices and appliances
adds substantially to the "menuchah" [rest] of Shabbos.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

smk@axiom.UUCP (Steven M. Kramer) (08/26/84)

Sure, a light bulb is akin to lighting a fire, but have you considered
that many fire control systems are run by electricity?  Also, human
metabolism creates heat in small amounts ... the only difference between
human heat and fires is that the former is more controlled.  Should
humans go into a deep freeze on the Sabbath?

Call me a non-Jew or pseudo-Jew is any of you wish, but I believe that
most tradition exists for its symbolic form, and understanding what the
symbolism teaches us is vastly more important that performing the
symbolic act.  I consider myself a Jew even though I don't practice many
of the rites.  Because this is my belief, I don't care what others think,
for this is not an election or popularity contest.
	I listen with interest at some of the discussion here
because I never learned some of it in my many years in religious school, but
I take exception to the `holier than thou' attitude displayed in this group.
Education is important, but you can be good without being learned.
The race I see in this group to top the others
is certainly not what I consider a trait of a good person, though many of
you consider a trait of a good Jew (I do not).
	--steve
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!axiom!smk	(UUCP)